HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 11:13 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I do respect people's personal food restrictions, but I have no qualms about eating anything, it's all eligible for me. At risk of messing up your thread with food pics, these are the only two I have taken of that type of food - since donairs don't show anything unless you bite into them - shawarma etc. is more photogenic. I think the proprietors are from Iraq or Syria.

This is chicken shawarma, typical here, always on the menu with the donairs. I really like this place, they add loads of pickles. (Pickles are an important part of the Nfld. diet too afaik) The salad is tabbouleh, and I usually get dolmos & baklava too.

This is lamb shank, also sometimes on the menu. The salad is typical Greek salad, large pieces. These two are take-outs and typically cost $12 to $15 for this.

I wonder what the St. John's equivalent would be like?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 8:06 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Hmm… probably Mohamed Ali’s for the shawarma, and Mama Souli’s for the lamb. For sure at least $25-$30. You can’t get anything but fries for under $20 here .

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 2:54 PM

Great pics, SignalHillHiker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I forgot to ask, did you have a donair there? I heard that's the local food, although it sounds like a gyro.
I've actually never heard of a donair, but now that I know what it is, the term is interesting, because it reminds me of Turkish döner kebabs.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 3:30 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The sweet sauce and meat/seasoning changed with the Halifax-style donair that was created in the 70's. They have a blurb here: https://www.kingofdonair.ca/

I have yet to find an accurate rendition of a Halifax-style donair in Vancouver. They've always been completely different. The name "donair" can be a bit like "taco" and refer to just about anything that's on a pita with some filling.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 6:52 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Hmm… probably Mohamed Ali’s for the shawarma, and Mama Souli’s for the lamb. For sure at least $25-$30. You can’t get anything but fries for under $20 here .
Thanks, I will try to check it out when I am there. Fries are good, but never that good - I can make good fries at home almost for free with very little skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The sweet sauce and meat/seasoning changed with the Halifax-style donair that was created in the 70's. They have a blurb here: https://www.kingofdonair.ca/

I have yet to find an accurate rendition of a Halifax-style donair in Vancouver. They've always been completely different. The name "donair" can be a bit like "taco" and refer to just about anything that's on a pita with some filling.
I had it at some place on Spring Garden when it was a new thing, it tasted completely different from anything I'd had before (but I would guess that now it just might taste like everything else.) I'd say condensed milk is a very Maritime ingredient to use. Like the Hawaiian pizza, poutine, and Nanaimo bar, this is a Canadian innovation.

Quote:
This "Halifax" donair was characterized by having a very sweet sauce, made from condensed milk, sugar, garlic, and vinegar.
http://donair.org/content/donair-history

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos