HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
The people that care the most are the ones who constantly talk about how people are wearing masks.
Exactly. It's so funny that a piece of cloth is so triggering

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Exactly. It's so funny that a piece of cloth is so triggering
I think its more that the masks have become a proxy for demonstrating publicly your political positions.

Thats probably what the fuss is about not that you are being a hypochondriac by having it on.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 11:31 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I think its more that the masks have become a proxy for demonstrating publicly your political positions.

Thats probably what the fuss is about not that you are being a hypochondriac by having it on.
There's no way to know why, as Steely said, without asking. You can kinda tell though by what an individual forumer will say. If their first response is "virtue signaling" or along those lines, they are the ones who get pissed at a person wearing a mask.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 11:34 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
or you know, maybe you get off the bus and you leave your federally-mandated mask on as you walk home because it's 28 degrees out.

but there's no way that could ever happen. it's much better to just assume that person is nothing but a stupid virtue-signaling idiot.

and then get mad about it.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
or you know, maybe you get off the bus and you leave your federally-mandated mask on as you walk home because it's 28 degrees out.

but there's no way that could ever happen. it's much better to just assume that person is nothing but a stupid virtue-signaling idiot.

and then get mad about it.
I was yelled at for not having a mask on in a bathroom before.

I dont think anyone would deny we have bene living through a series of mass hysterias fueled by social media for the past several years.

Btw did you show your support for Ukraine today (despite 90% of the population knowing nothing about the place three weeks ago)

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 11:40 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
some idiots yell at people for not wearing masks.

other idiots yell at people for wearing masks.

stupid people have always existed. this is not news.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 11:43 PM

Quote:
some idiots yell at people for not wearing masks.

other idiots yell at people for wearing masks.

stupid people have always existed. this is not news.
Yes I know my point is covid was very much a mass hysteria.

So why is somebody yelling at you about the mask? because to them it signals a political stance they disagree with or more accurately viscerally fight against

And vis versa

In my opinion this has been exacerbated by social media which causes narrative collapse. Nobody is on the same page, in fact they are on many different opposite and opposing pages.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 12:18 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Yes I know my point is covid was very much a mass hysteria.
Your original point was that a person wearing a mask is making a public personal political statement.

Sometimes they are. Sometimes they aren't.

I was just pointing that out.

Unless you ask someone why they're wearing a mask, you have no way of knowing if it's the former or the latter

Though that sure as fuck doesn't seem to stop some of the easily triggered anti-maskers from making the assumption of the former and then getting angry about it

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 12:26 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:

I dont think anyone would deny we have bene living through a series of mass hysterias fueled by social media for the past several years.

Btw did you show your support for Ukraine today (despite 90% of the population knowing nothing about the place three weeks ago)
Why would you be vice signaling in a bathroom? Nobody needs to know that you don't like following rules, although I hope you still will follow bathroom etiquette!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 12:26 AM
devout Pizzatarian

In any event, CPS is finally dropping its mask mandate on Monday.

That took longer than I wanted, but I'm just glad we've finally arrived at this point.

After that, transit and doctors offices will be the final places in my life where I'll have to be bothered with wearing a mask on a regular basis.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 12, 2022 at 12:37 AM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 12:47 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
Why would you be vice signaling in a bathroom? Nobody needs to know that you don't like following rules, although I hope you still will follow bathroom etiquette!
thank you. i dont want to piss next to that reckless and i don’t gaf fool. put yr mask on when you get up and walk around busy restaurants. and whats with the guilt ridden whataboutism ukraine deflection he posted?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 1:04 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
put yr mask on when you get up and walk around busy restaurants.
If it's no longer required, why should people have to follow your orders?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 1:20 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
If it's no longer required, why should people have to follow your orders?
He probably got yelled at while it was still required, or it was at a bar and everybody was plastered. At that point he looks like an easy target and somebody (smashed) yelled at him for fun.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 4:57 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
In any event, CPS is finally dropping its mask mandate on Monday.

That took longer than I wanted, but I'm just glad we've finally arrived at this point.

After that, transit and doctors offices will be the final places in my life where I'll have to be bothered with wearing a mask on a regular basis.
I’ve been In two doctor offices this week, got a CT scan today, possible cancer scare, will find out Monday, but didn’t have to wear a mask. Also, cancer is way way scarier than Covid. Don’t know what I’ll do if it’s positive as none of my jobs offer insurance and I currently have none; so I’ll be pretty royally fucked.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 4:59 AM

Quote:
I was at the optician's today and nobody had to wear a mask.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 5:10 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ well, I was at a doctor's office last week for an appointment with my son and the folks there were still doing face masks, face Shields, plexiglass barriers, the whole fucking nine.

Maybe that's not being done everywhere (I honestly don't know) that was just my most recent contact with the medical world.

As for masks on transit, I've been told that's a federal requirement, just like airplanes, so I think that's still in force nationally for now.

But we're getting closer, inch by inch.

My kids finally being able to go to school without masks is a big win!

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 12, 2022 at 6:00 AM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 9:24 AM

It’s almost time to call it a wrap on this thread. The pandemic is over, and the rules (thankfully) are almost all gone. And the rules are the only issue now, namely masks which shouldn’t be a requirement anywhere anymore. The virus itself has faded into the background as a disease less worrisome than flu.

It’s a shame the FAA mandate was extended, that’s really the last shoe to drop in this nonsense (in the US and in Europe). You should have heard the head flight attendant (maître de cabine) on my flight last week pleading with people travelling between the UK and Switzerland (neither of which have mask mandates anywhere anymore, including transit) to wear them. It was pathetic.

edit: today is the first sunny, mild Saturday this year in London. And holy shit there are a lot of people around. Sidewalks are packed, you have to let the first tube train go because there’s no room to get on, traffic in the West End is at a standstill. Covid is completely and utterly gone here aside from an occasional oddball (usually Asian or European) wearing a mask.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by 10023; Mar 12, 2022 at 12:04 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
Yes I agree with the masking bit. Had there been a national mask mandate but no shutdowns or wfh orders, things would have been fine. Had people been given the choice to work from home versus stay at the office I bet most would have still gone home given the panicky tone from the outset. Honestly I was kind of scared shirtless for about two weeks, then I calmed down, then I became furious that our leaders kept banging the drum louder and louder. City of Portland employees are still, STILL working at home. Honestly fck this state's leadership. Oregon deserves every single bit of hardship it receives.
Yeah I felt the same. Had about a two week panic in mid March, but once people in the West were not fainting in the streets and having seizures in public like in those Chinese (propaganda) videos that came out in January, I knew this was more a plandemic than pandemic based on the responses.

People are permanently scarred though. I still see a lot of masking, even when alone with only their dog on the sidewalk. My organization is still WFH because we saved so much money on office rent in expensive west coast cities but we are planning a couple in person all staff retreats starting in the Fall. I see many companies/orgs will go this way. One big negative we've heard from those who have gone back to the offices we have is they commute to work to sit in the same zoom meetings they could have had at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Starting a new thread since the other one is a political clusterf*ck. Really just want to know - 2 years later, is your city feeling back to normal? Still quiet?

Speaking for Los Angeles, things were feeling somewhat more vibrant the last few months even with Omicron, but with mask mandates, still killed the vibe overall.

Now with indoor mask mandates lifted, for the first time in what feels like FOREVER the city feels alive again. Seeing a lot more foot traffic, restaurants are busy, people are going out, and a lot more people seem to be at the office. Covid really dulled out this city and it was super depressing, so I'm hugely relieved to see that we're sunsetting the pandemic and that LA is getting its spark back. The only thing still missing is office worker traffic, def. still not where it was.
That stupid SafePass needs to go away first before I say LA is completely back. Many businesses I've seen dont care though. I went to Roscoes and the employee asked for our passes. I misheard her and asked her to repeat what she said and she just waved us through. At salsa and beer they asked for it and I showed them a random covid card on my phone and they let me in lol. They dont got time for that mess either.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 2:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
It’s almost time to call it a wrap on this thread. The pandemic is over, and the rules (thankfully) are almost all gone. And the rules are the only issue now, namely masks which shouldn’t be a requirement anywhere anymore. The virus itself has faded into the background as a disease less worrisome than flu.
I agree with you here, the thread should have been wrapped up a long time ago. FYI: There are more daily deaths in the US today (1,100) than there were this time last year. Either the masks and all the arbitrary mandates were useless political theater or the masks and all the mandates were simultaneously dropped for the upcoming 2022 election.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
It’s a shame the FAA mandate was extended, that’s really the last shoe to drop in this nonsense (in the US and in Europe). You should have heard the head flight attendant (maître de cabine) on my flight last week pleading with people travelling between the UK and Switzerland (neither of which have mask mandates anywhere anymore, including transit) to wear them. It was pathetic.
Viral transmission on airplanes is almost nonexistent. The last shoe to drop is when we stop forcing kids as young as 2 to wear a mask and when all public schools and colleges go mask optional. They fall in the demographic that is least likely to be hospitalized, fall ill or even experience mild symptoms.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
At this point, with years of data and science telling us that the masks are not necessary anymore, yeah I think it’s fair to say people who are still casually hiding themselves are probably not very fun to be around.

In the early pandemic I would not have wanted to be around anti maskers. I was for masks, we knew nothing about covid and we wanted to cling to whatever made us more comfortable. Masks were sold to us as this comfort, and anti maskers were a threat to that.

Now we know better, but I absolutely know the majority of people would say, in the beginning of the pandemic, that they would avoid maskless people if possible.

Now I will avoid the masked while in unnecessary settings, because it shows massive cognitive dissonance and lack of grasp of reality.
But it was the anti maskers that turned out being more correct in the first place. Wouldn't you want to be friends with people that saw through the government and media bullshit first? The ones who actually researched the sciences vs assume what they were being told on the news was correct. They were the ones saying bandannas and tshirts being used as masks were worthless long before the government finally said the same thing as just one example.

I have friends on both sides, and basically I just don't discuss dystopian stuff with the ones who only now think it's okay to take off the mask because the government said so. They have been wrong on just about every prediction the last 2 years, meanwhile the conspiracy friends are batting like .900.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions