Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I dont trust anyone that WANTS to live in LA
Such a bizarre statement.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segun View Post
LA is a consideration, but I'm spoiled by having lush, shade-providing greenery in my immediate surroundings.
Year-round?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Year-round?
He did call it “shade-providing” greenery, suggesting that it’s indeed always available in all the parts of the year where shade would be needed

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
We here in sunny Northern California are thinking of you guys down yuere shoveling snow down there in Southern California. Lol

actually, on a more serious note, I recall when this type of snowfall in the past was more common in inland SoCal. I believe even the lower elevation of Mt Wilson, which is just above Pasadena, would see more snow yrs ago, but I may be wrong....I may be just thinking of certain yrs like this one & mistaking them as being more common than they actually were.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 8:32 PM

Various posts above make me think of the way I judge cities far & wide...I find myself often judging them based on their weather. So if a city like Detroit, Boston, St Louis, etc, had a climate closer to that of coastal LA, I'd see them very differently. Even cities like Houston/dallas or Miami bch, etc, are affected by the same thing too.

However, Tijuana, several miles south of San diego, & Marseilles, the 2nd largest city in france, are known as having easygoing weather. But I don't necessarily have more positive opinions of them based on that. Mexico City also has somewhat friendly weather, but I'd prefer the UK's capital, london, to Mexico's capital. So a variety of factors come into play when judging or ranking a place or city.

this is a sunny ghetto for the rich, & monaco generally isn't a major metro area. So it's a bit of LA's westside, but without the gritty, very real urban area, around it.

Video Link

Marseille is larger (1.6 million compared with around 40,000 for Monaco), an urban scene with grit & crime. It's over 130 miles to the west of Marseille (San diego is around 111 miles from LA), & although Monaco technically isn't in the same country, it has a look & feel similar to the sunnier parts of southern france...

"We really enjoy the graffiti in contrast to the older bldgs...."

Video Link

this to me is a blend of a monaco & a marseille....

https://youtu.be/2zS-lUu0SkM?t=111

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Same for Phoenix.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 9:57 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Look, I'll grant you that the "poll" that started this thread is absolute garbage, and unworthy of further discussion. But your statement is more about your politics and biases than it is about Los Angeles or the people who live here.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Look, I'll grant you that the "poll" that started this thread is absolute garbage, and unworthy of further discussion. But your statement is more about your politics and biases than it is about Los Angeles or the people who live here.
Dude's talking from a state people move to because it's cheaper. That's not a want.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Same for Phoenix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
What's amusing is that for us who aren't from the American Southwest, Los Angeles and Phoenix are extremely similar and even interchangeable. Anyone who wants to live in one (for whatever reasons) will also want to live in the other (for the exact same reasons), and vice versa.

Auto-centric, modern, sprawly, sunny year-round, dry year-round, no winters, land of boulevards and shopping malls and consumerism.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Dude's talking from a state people move to because it's cheaper. That's not a want.
As I mentioned in the post above, Southern California and Arizona have the exact same #1 asset as a desirable relocation destination: sunny and dry year-round, no winters.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
As I mentioned in the post above, Southern California and Arizona have the exact same #1 asset as a desirable relocation destination: sunny and dry year-round, no winters.
Sure but lets say LA became as affordable as Phoenix for some reason. The amount of people moving in would be off the charts.

Same as Hawaii, SF etc. It's the cost thats the issue. This isn't the only poll that shows LA high up if money wasn't a issue. It's not some outlier.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 10:13 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
It rains in LA.
What is it with CA threads, it just seems like it gets people (not from CA) riled up? It's as if Obadno wants to get every CA thread locked.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 10:15 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Sure but lets say LA became as affordable as Phoenix for some reason. The amount of people moving in would be off the charts.

Same as Hawaii, SF etc. It's the cost thats the issue. This isn't the only poll that shows LA high up if money wasn't a issue. It's not some outlier.
The weather is also much nicer in LA. The ocean has a milding effect and there are a lot of microclimates. Some parts of coastal LA and SD can actually feel like the Bay Area. It doesn’t get nearly as hot in LA as it does Phoenix too. In LA you could live without AC. Can’t do that in Phoenix.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 10:16 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
The weather is also much nicer in LA. The ocean has a milding effect and there are a lot of microclimates. Some parts of coastal LA and SD can actually feel like the Bay Area. It doesn’t get nearly as hot in LA as it does Phoenix too. In LA you could live without AC. Can’t do that in Phoenix.
Santa Monica comes to mind as being similar to the yay, for weather.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 10:19 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
What's amusing is that for us who aren't from the American Southwest, Los Angeles and Phoenix are extremely similar and even interchangeable. Anyone who wants to live in one (for whatever reasons) will also want to live in the other (for the exact same reasons), and vice versa.
I'm sure plenty of people who live outside the American Southwest understand there's at least one significant difference between the two cities: one of them benefits greatly from its location along the Pacific coast. That doesn't just mean that one has ocean beaches, it also means it also has a much, much milder climate due to the ocean influence. Try living in Phoenix without air conditioning like they do in Santa Monica and Venice Beach.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 10:31 PM

Yea, exactly. It's why you see all those Arizona plates in the summer.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2023, 12:43 AM

Quote:

Auto-centric, modern, sprawly, sunny year-round, dry year-round, no winters, land of boulevards and shopping malls and consumerism.
Tell me you know nothing about LA without telling me you know nothing about LA

Old Posted Mar 5, 2023, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segun View Post
LA is a consideration, but I'm spoiled by having lush, shade-providing greenery in my immediate surroundings. It sounds petty, but it's real to me. The exotic appeal of Palm trees doesn't last long.
Having been through major ice storms in the last two years in tree-covered Austin, the idea of having mainly palm trees has become very attractive. I've paid a couple of thousand dollars to tree companies due to tree damage from ice, and am anticipating a similar amount to a roofer who has yet to show up. I have a leak because of a limb that fell on the roof during the ice storm in early February. I could easily get used to the kind of landscaping in southern CA. Palm Springs looks especially attractive to me, even if there's little shade like I'm used to.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2023, 3:33 AM

Quote:
He did call it “shade-providing” greenery, suggesting that it’s indeed always available in all the parts of the year where shade would be needed
Not sure where Segun lives, but cities located in deciduous forests look pretty grim in the winter, when the trees are bare and grass is brown.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2023, 3:38 AM

Quote:

If you look at temperature averages for either Phoenix or Los Angeles, there's a vast difference between summer and winter. In L.A., the differences are smaller right on the coast due to the influence of the ocean. Either city can get chilly during the winter, but overall would appear moderate if one is from a place where winters are extreme.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions