HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 11:44 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Florida is basically New York State with Cubans and alligators.
Florida is a state in the United States. We can all agree on that

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 12:02 AM

I love that Ron Desanctimious takes credit for Florida's growth.

Florida is Florida because of air conditioning, Cubans and Jews from NY.

The current boom in Miami has more to do with the rise of remote and hybrid work than anything else.

Ron Desantis had nothing to do with air conditioning and nothing to do with a post Covid work world. Seems as though plenty of people are happy to give him credit though.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 1:19 AM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Try Ocala. I live in Upstate South Carolina, which is basically Deliverance banjo country outside of the mini-Atlanta of the Greenville-Spartanburg metro.

Note: Some parts inside of the mini-Atlanta of the Greenville-Spartanburg metro are also Deliverance banjo country.

That being said, interior central Florida makes Upstate South Carolina look like the boulevards of Paris and the squares of Vienna all rolled into one. Ocala was indescribable -- but to be fair, we did go a major flea market and it lived up to every expectation that the words large Florida flea market likely bring to mind. And while I was able to pick up two asparagus ferns for a mere $5 each, I'm not sure the deep psychological wounds I picked up there as well were worth the savings.
I've never been there either.

The only cool place in Florida is St Augustine...or at least it was really cool when I was there 40 years ago.

Last edited by PhillyRising; Mar 3, 2023 at 1:29 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Why would DeSantis ruin Florida's reputation? At least half of the country love him, that's a lot of people. Internal US migration patterns support this as people are voting with their feet. Whatever he is doing is clearly working.
If you see FL start losing population, thats when you know the state is unpopular.
I didn't mean Florida's reputation within Florida. At least based on Biden's win in 2020 (especially the large popular vote margin), the country overall most likely isn't fond of DeSantis, and Florida as a result takes a lot of hits. There are plenty of rednecks and bigots who love DeSantis, although plenty of Floridians, especially young, can't stand him. The younger people in Texas absolutely hate Abbott overall, but there are plenty of bigots in the state who love Abbott and who gave him yet another term.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
good question -- i looked and its gen alpha:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Alpha

wellll ...

Cool! What a relief!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 5:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Isn't the villages full racist and randy old folks?
Required listening

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 3:52 PM

One interesting thing about Florida is how consistent the growth has been. The state's population has consistently grown by just about 3 million/decade for the past 5 decades. It seems almost mechanical.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 6:26 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
People aren't moving to Florida for DeSantis or his policies. Just like people weren't moving to Florida for Bob Martinez, Lawton Chiles, Charlie Crist, Jeb Bush, Rick Scott or their policies.
The majority maybe not but now more people probably are considering this in their decision. The pandemic spurred more further-Right movement to FL (and TX) and here in parts of PA it was being spoken about as if it's the promised land and many people have relocated to there during the pandemic and continue to do so. Even people I know who love mountains, hate heat and bugs, etc., decided that for the politics alone [which plays out in the day to day life with things like taxes, education...] it was worth it for them.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
The majority maybe not but now more people probably are considering this in their decision. The pandemic spurred more further-Right movement to FL (and TX) and here in parts of PA it was being spoken about as if it's the promised land and many people have relocated to there during the pandemic and continue to do so. Even people I know who love mountains, hate heat and bugs, etc., decided that for the politics alone [which plays out in the day to day life with things like taxes, education...] it was worth it for them.
It's about weather and taxes (and in the case of Texas mainly, jobs). This has been the constant in both states and the constant, consistent growth has followed.

Political movements and their associated politicians come and go. It's not about them. If it was really about political atmosphere, we'd be talking about Wyoming, Alabama, Oklahoma, Arkansas, etc.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 6:56 PM

I'm highly skeptical people are moving to places largely based on elected officials.

So if I move to a state bc I like the gov., what if I don't like the next gov.? I move again?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 7:10 PM

Quote:
It's about weather and taxes (and in the case of Texas mainly, jobs). This has been the constant in both states and the constant, consistent growth has followed.

Political movements and their associated politicians come and go. It's not about them. If it was really about political atmosphere, we'd be talking about Wyoming, Alabama, Oklahoma, Arkansas, etc.
Mostly agree, but taxes are influenced by politics. There was a lot of hype, especially from San Francisco tech bros, during the pandemic about Miami being the new 'it' place due to its politics being essentially the anti-SF. That loser Keith Rabois was a particularly vocal advocate for Miami, and it usually came down to politics and culture war type of stuff. There definitely is a contingent that moves to FL for its politics.

People don't similarly talk about Alabama, Oklahoma, Arkansas, etc. because they don't really have notable urban areas and economic prospects are fairly muted. There's no Miami, or even Orlando or Tampa equivalents in those states. No palm trees or beaches (AL's sliver of the Gulf Coast notwithstanding). Florida provides big cities, 'good' weather, AND far right politics. A trifecta for a large segment of the US population. It's like a flat, humid, conservative much shittier version of California!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 7:25 PM
Me?!?

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Mostly agree, but taxes are influenced by politics. There was a lot of hype, especially from San Francisco tech bros, during the pandemic about Miami being the new 'it' place due to its politics being essentially the anti-SF. That loser Keith Rabois was a particularly vocal advocate for Miami, and it usually came down to politics and culture war type of stuff. There definitely is a contingent that moves to FL for its politics.

People don't similarly talk about Alabama, Oklahoma, Arkansas, etc. because they don't really have notable urban areas and economic prospects are fairly muted. There's no Miami, or even Orlando or Tampa equivalents in those states. No palm trees or beaches (AL's sliver of the Gulf Coast notwithstanding). Florida provides big cities, 'good' weather, AND far right politics. A trifecta for a large segment of the US population. It's like a flat, humid, conservative much shittier version of California!
Agreed, edale.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 7:30 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I'm highly skeptical people are moving to places largely based on elected officials.

So if I move to a state bc I like the gov., what if I don't like the next gov.? I move again?
These places have had these political leanings and they are just digging their heels in and swinging further in that direction so people aren't moving for who is in office now, they are moving for the political climate that has been in place for a long time now.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post

Florida and Texas have no state income taxes. This plus weather is why people move there. The employment options follow (mainly in the case of Texas), and in turn, why their cities have burgeoned. This existed long before the FOX News and MAGA set, and certainly well before Greg Abbott and Ron DiSantis.

The "culture war" crap is political theater smokescreen to actually get people riled up, because taxes are boring. Not suggesting that there is not a contingent of right-wingers who might move for "the state politics"... but that contingent is certainly not what has fueled both states' consistently strong growth for decades throughout many state-level political administrations.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 7:41 PM

Quote:
These places have had these political leanings and they are just digging their heels in and swinging further in that direction so people aren't moving for who is in office now, they are moving for the political climate that has been in place for a long time now.
Florida is popular with retirees, and retirees are more conservative than the rest of the population. And shockingly 20 year olds are not thrilled to hang around retirees or stick with low wage jobs. Is it really more complex than that?

Baby boomers are retiring so Florida gets even more retirees.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 7:46 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I never met anyone back in Texas that moved there because of the politics; it was job opportunity with climate a distant second. Here in California, those I know who want to leave, almost all to escape the high cost of living. When I lived in New York, people wanted out because lack of jobs, taxes and shitty winters.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post
Florida is popular with retirees, and retirees are more conservative than the rest of the population. And shockingly 20 year olds are not thrilled to hang around retirees or stick with low wage jobs. Is it really more complex than that?

Baby boomers are retiring so Florida gets even more retirees.
Exactly, it's not any more complex than that. Old people who have more money don't like the cold and don't like income taxes. Florida has neither.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I love that Ron Desanctimious takes credit for Florida's growth.

Florida is Florida because of air conditioning, Cubans and Jews from NY.

The current boom in Miami has more to do with the rise of remote and hybrid work than anything else.

Ron Desantis had nothing to do with air conditioning and nothing to do with a post Covid work world. Seems as though plenty of people are happy to give him credit though.
Funny because people are actually "fleeing" Miami according to the Census... it's shrinking, the population dropped 1.4% as of the latest American community survey, but you have to dig deep to find that.

https://www.thenextmiami.com/census-...k-1-last-year/

Almost no outlet reported that, a stark contrast to the breathless reporting of everyone "FLEEING" [insert liberal city]. One of few sources I could dig up spun it as people mocking the Census inaccurate because it couldn't possibly be right. It goes against the media narrative and shilling from the Miami real estate industry that "everyone" is moving there, just like you almost never hear of Miami crime in national media while being inundated with constant news about "anarchy" in much safer cities than Miami like Seattle and Portland (and also much safer NYC, LA, SF).

Last edited by YSL; Mar 3, 2023 at 8:08 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 7:59 PM

Quote:
So if Florida swings Dem in the coming years, which is definitely possible given the weird politics of the Latin community (Trumpy but pro-abortion, pro-Obamacare, pro-immigration, pro-higher taxes, etc.), you're telling me all the angry anti-woke, no-tax, F everyone else boomers are gonna move to Alabama? Highly unlikely.

Miami-Dade just went GOP four months ago. It was apparently a libtard enclave until last Nov. Orlando is getting bluer and is even faster growing than South Florida. So Orlando should now start declining? Too woke?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YSL View Post
Funny because people are actually "fleeing" Miami according to the Census... it's shrinking, the population dropped 1.4% as of the latest American community survey, but you have to dig deep to find that.
And Miami just went GOP. So it must be all the people fleeing the anti-woke policies of DeSanctimonius.

If you read the business news, you would think that every single U.S. business and HNWI moved to Miami in the last few years. If you actually look at the data, South Florida is the slowest growing part of Florida. You'd think there are tumbleweeds in Silicon Valley and Hollywood and Wall Street and the Beltway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions