HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:48 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Yes, it was killed way back then when the new CNA building was announced. They decided to keep and refurbish the garage for now. That's just fine with me as it's a pretty big structure and will make an excellent spot for a supertall or something in 15-20 years once all the excess land in the area has been mopped up.
I thought they sold their air rights to the CNA building developers.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 4:02 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
when Damen opens I am hopeful the money will grow too large for the lot owners to ignore
It's a complicated situation. The United Center organization owns most of the parking lots itself. There are a handful of lots just beyond the official stadium lots - some actively used for event parking, others just sit unused - that are owned by private parking companies or the City. And some of the city-owned lots are operated by those same parking companies.

It's all a huge mess of sweetheart deals and politically-connected business owners who see nothing wrong with an entire swath of the city given over to parking lots. A few years ago Emanuel at least tried to stop those business owners from continuing to use the city-owned lots, but he can't do much about the privately-owned lots. The United Center organization, for its part, sees some value in building an entertainment district around the stadium but recognizes that most of their visitors will still drive in from the suburbs, so any reduction in parking is a dealbreaker.

Basically everybody is saying the same things right now... the city needs to do its part to improve CTA access and possibly grant a TIF subsidy to cover the cost of parking garages, and then the United Center owners are happy to explore redevelopment options. The Malcolm X College garage was the first part of this, the Damen L stop is the second part. Building on the Green Line has the advantage of connecting to Oak Park on one end, which has a growing supply of commuter parking, and Metra Ogilvie on the other end. If a significant number of suburban sports fans ride Metra to CTA to Wrigley Field, they'd probably do the same for the United Center. But then again, the Cubs play a lot of day games and Wrigley Field patrons have a whole neighborhood fo bars and restaurants to visit before and after the game. The Bulls/Hawks play almost entirely at night, and there's nothing around the stadium. Kind of a chicken/egg situation.

Of course, complicating this is the local church leaders and Alderman Burnett, who don't want to see ANY new drinking establishments in the area if it gets redeveloped. That's why the retail space at Damen/Warren is still vacant.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 4:06 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It'll be more interesting at the community area level than city level IMO at this rate. Of course, it's hard to tell, but I think you won't see much overall growth, but if you hone in on places like Near North Side, West Town, Lakeview, etc then you will see some decently solid growth. We've already seen it from the 2016 ACS. Unfortunately the 2017 ACS that allows us to calculate these things isn't released until December - but I guess at the city level the 2017 ACS is released in just over 2 months.
I will always find the granular data most interesting, but I was speaking more to the influx of HQ's and highly-educated citizens. Based on some of the tech-related sites I visit, it seems that NYC, San Fran and Seattle housing/office prices have jumped the shark in the past 18 months. Lots of the recent smaller and secondary HQ-type announcements (Facebook, Google expansion, potential Salesforce expansion, Foursquare, Reddit, Coinbase, and a few European tech startups) speak to this trend.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 6:23 PM

Hyatt Place, A 99-Room Millennial-Friendly Hotel, Coming To Wicker Park

Block Club Chicago
Alisa Hauser, @BCC_WPB
Wicker Park, Bucktown & West Town reporter

Caption: The previous design of the planned Hyatt Place, at left, and the new design, at right.

... is this really an improvement? I had to read the caption to remember which one was the original. I dislike both designs but the new one (on the right) looks cheaper, and to my eyes, more suburban.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 6:30 PM
The City

The architect behind this project deserves to be taken by force out of Chicago, into a suburban shopping mall in Iowa, and stripped to his boxer shorts in front of laughing children, he's so damn horrible. What the hell kind of crap is this? I seriously think he was at the bottom of his class in "architecture" school. Either that or he's charging rock bottom rates and slapped this drawing together in like 5 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 6:57 PM
devout Pizzatarian

yikes, that's pretty fucking horrible.

is the "shitty '90s naperville office park" look now retro enough to be on trend for hip scene wicker park?

i mean, what the hell is going on here?

also, green line damen el station discussion moved to the chicago transportation thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...01657&page=576

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jul 10, 2018 at 7:19 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 7:09 PM

From the Chicago DPD twitter page “CDC approves $17 million in TIF for the phase one redevelopment of the CHA’s former Ickes Homes site on the 2300 block of South State known as “Southbridge.”
“The $89.9 million project by The Community Builders and McCaffery Interests will include a pair of six-story residential buildings with 86 public housing and affordable units, 114 market rate units, and 16,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space.”

Last edited by Mikemak27; Jul 10, 2018 at 7:16 PM. Reason: Picture upload

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 7:38 PM

that new rendering looks like it was designed in Kid Cad

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
Hyatt Place, A 99-Room Millennial-Friendly Hotel, Coming To Wicker Park

Block Club Chicago
Alisa Hauser, @BCC_WPB
Wicker Park, Bucktown & West Town reporter

Caption: The previous design of the planned Hyatt Place, at left, and the new design, at right.

... is this really an improvement? I had to read the caption to remember which one was the original. I dislike both designs but the new one (on the right) looks cheaper, and to my eyes, more suburban.
BOTH of these designs are bad, but the "new" design is PURE VOMIT.

This MUST be STOPPED. Is there any way that we can communicate to the property owner, that we DONT want this piece of garbage being built?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 7:55 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
yikes, that's pretty fucking horrible.

is the "shitty '90s naperville office park" look now retro enough to be on trend for hip scene wicker park?

i mean, what the hell is going on here?

also, green line damen el station discussion moved to the chicago transportation thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...01657&page=576
Exactly! That rendering isn't even REMOTELY worthy of Downtown Naperville, yet alone Wicker Park! WTF?!?!?!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 8:03 PM
Show me the blueprints

Painful

Quote:

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Exactly! That rendering isn't even REMOTELY worthy of Downtown Naperville, yet alone Wicker Park! WTF?!?!?!

Aaron (Glowrock)
No Talent TIF drunk Developer: "Look at your new downtown apartments that prove we're a cool city."
Eternally Grateful Mid market city of West Fort Indian Rapids: "This proves we're a cool city."

Last edited by jpIllInoIs; Jul 10, 2018 at 8:24 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 8:39 PM
Ω

Quote:

I will legit protest this shit.

We could start by emailing the alderman, Brian Hopkins. They actually listen to this stuff. People got an actually good project cut in half by me because it was "too large.

His office email is Ward02@cityofchicago.org and number is 312-643-2299

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 8:51 PM
The City

^ You do realize that it’s already under construction, don’t you?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 9:04 PM
Ω

Ugh no I just got here (this thread). Damn that thing is wretched.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 9:21 PM

Many of you many not know this, but Hyatt House requires a specific design and color scheme for all of their Franchisees. Just google Hyatt House and you will see very similar examples. I am all for this hotel and adding foot traffic to this intersection as it will soon become TOD due to the Ashland bus route, but how on earth can Hopkins not allow the last proposal to move forward but approve this one? Oh I know, Aldermanic elections are in Feb 2019. Must have written a FAT check.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemak27 View Post
From the Chicago DPD twitter page “CDC approves $17 million in TIF for the phase one redevelopment of the CHA’s former Ickes Homes site on the 2300 block of South State known as “Southbridge.”
“The $89.9 million project by The Community Builders and McCaffery Interests will include a pair of six-story residential buildings with 86 public housing and affordable units, 114 market rate units, and 16,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space.”

Great to hear! Although I'm surprised they're using TIF money instead of CHA money for this project.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderRek View Post
Many of you many not know this, but Hyatt House requires a specific design and color scheme for all of their Franchisees. Just google Hyatt House and you will see very similar examples. I am all for this hotel and adding foot traffic to this intersection as it will soon become TOD due to the Ashland bus route, but how on earth can Hopkins not allow the last proposal to move forward but approve this one? Oh I know, Aldermanic elections are in Feb 2019. Must have written a FAT check.
I think the article has a quote from the newly hired architect (last one was fired) that the design is a place holder and materials will evolve.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 10:39 PM

I like the materials and texture on this hotel design on the architect’s website....

https://www.legat.com/achieve-hospit...r-and-context/

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Great to hear! Although I'm surprised they're using TIF money instead of CHA money for this project.
Likely has CHA funds too. The city doesn't approve those though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development