HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 26, 2023, 7:36 AM

New England has become very nonreligious as well.

In Massachusetts for example, the number with no religion (32%) is similar to Catholics (34%). Also seems like a lot of descendants of New England Yankees don't identify with a religion at all - for instance only 3% are Congregationalists, the traditional Yankee religion.

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion...massachusetts/

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
New England has become very nonreligious as well.

In Massachusetts for example, the number with no religion (32%) is similar to Catholics (34%). Also seems like a lot of descendants of New England Yankees don't identify with a religion at all - for instance only 3% are Congregationalists, the traditional Yankee religion.

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion...massachusetts/
We're all Cathnostic or lower-case 'c' cultural catholics. All of the immigrant and refuge groups to land in and stick around New England outside of the Puritans were Catholic: Irish, Italians, French Canadians/Arcadians, Portuguese, Cape Verdeans, Polish, Ukrainians, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Haitians, Vietnamese, Cambodians, Brazilians ... no crazy Revivalist history after the Puritans stopped burning witches. Catholics tend to naturally get apathetic if there aren't any holy rollin' Evangelical Protestants around inspiring them to behave similarly. This is why most of the New England Catholics who still actively go to mass vote blue, while places like Louisiana can produce Chief Justice Barrett.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 3:01 AM

Interesting to compare the New England states in religion. Mass is "urban Catholic" rather than "rural Yankee" but it has a much higher level of irreligiosity than Connecticut and Rhode Island and looks more like the northern New England states in that respect.

Connecticut

Christian 70%
Protestant 35%
Catholic 33%
None 23%

Rhode Island

Christian 72%
Protestant 30%
Catholic 42%
None 20%

Massachusetts

Christian 58%
Protestant 21%
Catholic 34%
None 32%

Vermont

Christian 54%
Protestant 30%
Catholic 22%
None 37%

New Hampshire

Christian 59%
Protestant 30%
Catholic 26%
None 36%

Maine

Christian 60%
Protestant 37%
Catholic 21%
None 31%

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 3:23 AM

I mean, the New England states aren't without differences. Connecticut is more or less culturally the same as NY and NJ, and somewhat more religious than the more northern states. The Boston area has similarities to Bay Area and Seattle, which are increasingly irreligious. The tri-state area is a bit different.

There are subtle, but real differences between Boston and NY regions, and the really rural parts of the Northeast. The idea of New England as a single region is kind of a historical artifact, and the exact lines don't really correspond to history or modern-day cultural cleavages.

Long Island was New England too. Was absolutely part of the New England colony, which is why the eastern half more or less looks the same as CT and RI. It just isn't considered New England anymore, bc it's a different state. The northern part of modern-day New England wasn't considered New England. Maine feels pretty distinct.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 6:31 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The northern part of modern-day New England wasn't considered New England. Maine feels pretty distinct.
Most of Maine is rural, and unsurprisingly, is just like most of rural Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, and Vermont. Indeed, Maine was part of Massachusetts until 1820.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 6:41 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Coastal ME resembles much of the rest of coastal New England. Portland is a miniature Boston. Rural ME is very similar to rest of rural New England and New York State. Just more sparse.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 7:30 AM

Maine really feels like a "bridge" between core New England and the Canadian Maritimes.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 7:43 PM

Most college-educated R state: Utah (#13)

Least college-educated D state: Nevada (#44)

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 11:23 PM

Here are the states where Biden won the WWC vote:

California 51-47 D
Massachusetts 52-46 D
Rhode Island 57-42 D
Vermont (almost certainly but no data)
Washington 53-45 D

Oregon was a tie, 49-49. Hawaii likely, but no data.

All New England or the West Coast.

My guess is the Republicans has hit their ceiling with WWC voters outside of New England, there's a certain number of committed cultural liberals and economic progressives that won't vote R. You have a good number of countercultural types without degrees on the West Coast too.

Not coincidentally New England and the West Coast are the most secular parts of the US.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 11:41 PM
A Man In Dandism

WWC? World Wrestling... Confederation?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 11:59 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
WWC? World Wrestling... Confederation?
White working class

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
We're all Cathnostic or lower-case 'c' cultural catholics. All of the immigrant and refuge groups to land in and stick around New England outside of the Puritans were Catholic: Irish, Italians, French Canadians/Arcadians, Portuguese, Cape Verdeans, Polish, Ukrainians, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Haitians, Vietnamese, Cambodians, Brazilians ... no crazy Revivalist history after the Puritans stopped burning witches. Catholics tend to naturally get apathetic if there aren't any holy rollin' Evangelical Protestants around inspiring them to behave similarly. This is why most of the New England Catholics who still actively go to mass vote blue, while places like Louisiana can produce Chief Justice Barrett.
Same in Southeastern PA (Philly and Philly burbs) and NJ. Nearly everyone I knew growing up who was Christian was Catholic (or Episcopalian or Lutheran). I didn't even know there were other types of Christians until I got to college. I remember we had 1 Baptist family in my neighborhood growing up and they had chickens and a sheep in their backyard (before it was cool) and that's all I needed to know about "them".

Everyone is universally a-religious now. Some still do the sacraments but tbh most don't even bother.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 1:44 AM
America's Hometown

There are more people at the gym on a Sunday Morning than most churches...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions