HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 4:34 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Holy!

Mother!

Fucking!

Shit!

Well, that was unexpected.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 5:07 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Pinch me!
Such unbelieved awesome unexpected news. My music and architectural heart are full.
Amazing.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 5:12 AM
Show me the blueprints

This...

_

is happening !

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 5:19 AM

WOW WOW WOW. Holy fuck - please let this go all the way through and restore this to its former glory. Fucking huge...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 5:42 AM

Gotta tell you. I am sooooo pleased!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 11:44 AM

This is cool and all, but still have to wonder how they plan to succeed or where they see an opening that up til now no one else has. How many acts require a 4-6k seat venue? That's insane. The vestibule alone is the size of the Riv. Very very few bands are capable of drawing those numbers, and the city already has a glut of arenas that are capable of handling the biggest acts. And you already have an established downtown theater scene that primarily caters to out of town tourists also staying in the loop (and as the article notes this is too BIG for most musicials)

And then lincoln yards wants to add 6 venues of their own? This is getting ridiculous. Do people think there's some never end well of talent, and people willing to pay for it? Something's gotta give.

Last edited by Via Chicago; Jun 29, 2018 at 12:00 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 12:25 PM
Show me the blueprints

^^^

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 12:27 PM

Oh right my bad, clearly there's tons of bands that can command a 6k capacity venue several times a month. Carry on.

Look I've wanted this to happen as much as anyone else. But a healthy dose of skepticism given the past 30 years I think is warranted. The Congress is stalled too last I heard, and that needs significantly less work. I don't think asking about the business plan is some undue burden. Also considering, this is being funded in large part with taxpayer money, and then is going to be privately owned+operated

Last edited by Via Chicago; Jun 29, 2018 at 12:37 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 1:01 PM
TL;DR

^ Yeah there's been so many false starts over the years, I'll believe it when I see it.

With a new gleaming Lawrence stop also coming in the next few years, there will be excellent transit access (not that it'll be functionally different from today, but the general grodiness has got to scare away suburbanites bound for the Riv or the Aragon). I still wonder if it makes sense to invest in a parking structure here, though. Maybe on Broadway Bank's parking lot. A better parking situation will mean that families also feel comfortable going to the show here, and it can compete with suburban venues for family-oriented shows. I don't exactly relish the idea of seeing The Wiggles on the Uptown's marquee, but if it pays the bills...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 1:02 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Holy!

Mother!

Fucking!

Shit!

Well, that was unexpected.
This. Pretty much this!

PS: ardecila, your use of the term grodiness is for teh freaking winz! Haven't heard it used since growing up in "the valley" of Los Angeles many moons ago!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 1:27 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
This is cool and all, but still have to wonder how they plan to succeed or where they see an opening that up til now no one else has. How many acts require a 4-6k seat venue? That's insane. The vestibule alone is the size of the Riv. Very very few bands are capable of drawing those numbers, and the city already has a glut of arenas that are capable of handling the biggest acts. And you already have an established downtown theater scene that primarily caters to out of town tourists also staying in the loop (and as the article notes this is too BIG for most musicials)

And then lincoln yards wants to add 6 venues of their own? This is getting ridiculous. Do people think there's some never end well of talent, and people willing to pay for it? Something's gotta give.
Dude, can you just chill out and enjoy the news for five seconds?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Uptown Theatre to be resorted in a $75 million plan!

It’s a breaking headline in the Tribune, but I can’t access the article. Can anyone post the details?

I gotta know!

Just an FYI but the Trib's paywall is defeated by Chrome's incognito mode.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Oh right my bad, clearly there's tons of bands that can command a 6k capacity venue several times a month. Carry on.

Look I've wanted this to happen as much as anyone else. But a healthy dose of skepticism given the past 30 years I think is warranted. The Congress is stalled too last I heard, and that needs significantly less work. I don't think asking about the business plan is some undue burden. Also considering, this is being funded in large part with taxpayer money, and then is going to be privately owned+operated

*Edit: Different tactic* So are these concerns particular to recent developments or could you have raised them any of the numerous times we've discussed this topic? Public money has been on the table for ages as a necessary component of getting a renovation plan. Likewise the size of the venue hasn't changed at all so if there's an issue about whether the theater is viable post renovation that calls into question whether the theater should be renovated at all (which I don't recall you questioning in the past). So it seems like being skeptical NOW is more of a contrarian impulse on your part given how people are reacting here than an honest attempt at raising these issues.

Last edited by JK47; Jun 29, 2018 at 1:47 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 1:37 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:

your new name is "Wet Blanket McRainy Parade".

it's like you're fundamentally incapable of happiness or something.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 1:39 PM

Also, these style of theaters do more than just host bands. Not even Chicago Theater hosts only bands. I think from reading the article with the quotes from the people who will be redeveloping this that they have a lot more types of performance planned than just band performances.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 1:47 PM

Wow, amazing!!! This is incredible and a dream come true!

The Green Mill has a parking lot behind the Uptown, perhaps they could build a garage on their lot. I kind of don't want to see garages built on Lawrence right next the a L stop, as ideally those lots should be TOD eventually. There's also the huge 6 level parking garage up by 5050 N. broadway a few blocks away that could be used for concerts. Parking isn't really a problem in that area.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 2:00 PM
TL;DR

^ That garage is getting turned into dedicated parking for Flats' redevelopment, though. There are plenty of candidate sites for garages (surface lots) but all of them are right around the Lawrence stop because of the Aragon. I think it's worth losing out on some TOD if a garage helps make the entertainment district more viable.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 2:22 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ That garage is getting turned into dedicated parking for Flats' redevelopment, though. There are plenty of candidate sites for garages (surface lots) but all of them are right around the Lawrence stop because of the Aragon. I think it's worth losing out on some TOD if a garage helps make the entertainment district more viable.
A large garage will be necessary, and I’m sure the team working on this is already planning that.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 2:29 PM
Closed account

Any thoughts from our libertarian-minded posters on this announcement? This plan requires lots of public money.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
Any thoughts from our libertarian-minded posters on this announcement? This plan requires lots of public money.
Sure I have a few thoughts:

1. If the federal government hadn't systematically destroyed urbanism via bad policy in the mid twentieth century then urban treasures of the past like this one probably never would have been left to rot in the first place.
2. Why can't you just leave politics out of this and be happy that we might finally get to see the inside of this thing???

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development