HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 1, 2016, 11:24 PM

8/01/2016

Old Posted Aug 1, 2016, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Harry, I might be being a little dense here, but what is it exactly you're saying will be moved to 130?
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Mac View Post
Here it is, in all its craney glory.

The bright orange beams are temporary the two 90' beams on either side are permanent parts of the building. The City Safety Inspector told me of the plans to move the stand, and confirmed it will stay raw steel - no concrete/rebar like on 111 W Wacker.

WJ's photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj734 View Post
Welcome to the forum !

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 1:41 AM
BANNED

Unhappy :)

What an entrance, WJ. The crane operator hanging out in your pic is OLD SCHOOL!

Edit: disregard the frown face in subject line. Posting from my phone...

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 3:58 AM

Imagine a grainy black and white photo of that crane operator

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 4:36 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
The bright orange beams are temporary the two 90' beams on either side are permanent parts of the building. The City Safety Inspector told me of the plans to move the stand, and confirmed it will stay raw steel - no concrete/rebar like on 111 W Wacker.

WJ's photos

Welcome to the forum !

Ok, so I'm clear now that what you're talking about is the temporary tower crane support structure......however, I'm more confused re how exactly this would be used at 130 - my assumption here is that you heard it would be used in the same manner (for its crane)....but, if caissons are just ~2-3 months out from beginning at 130, they'll clearly need to erect the tower crane there long before 151's (and it's supporting steel) comes down......

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 12:31 PM
BANNED

^ I was thinking about this too. They'll need the crane here at 151 for at least 10+ months. The thing about Chicago inspectors is that they rarely know everything, if not anything..

My guess as to why they're using this innovative tower crane rig as opposed to going up through the core, is simply to save time on jumps. We might see it jumped only 5 times as opposed to once every week or so as we did at 150 and RP. Buck knows his competition (130) is right on his tail, so he wants this on the market asap.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 1:36 PM

Maybe this rig is only going to be used for the first 10 floors or something at which point they will be clear of some obstacle or neighboring building and can drop a crane into place on the core. Perhaps the special consideration is the 215 W Lake site next door which would explain why the crane is pushed to the far Southern side of the site. Once 215 W Lake is topped out (which won't be long now) maybe they will use this crane to drop a new one into the core for the remainder of the construction schedule and then move this one over to Franklin?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 6:43 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Funny, that actually crossed my mind as well, that this one could only be for a first stage of superstructure erection. But, then I was thinking - would the eficiencies to potentially be gained from a more traditional core-located tower crane be enough to justify the logistics of this all (instead of just sticking with this one the whole way)??

At any rate, I'm fascinated by this stuff.....

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 7:53 PM
BANNED

^That's a good guess too.

From today. This has become quite the happenin' corner.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 8:09 PM
The City

^ It'll be even more happenin' once 130 N Franklin starts

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 3:46 AM
Chicago

August 2, 2016

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ Funny, that actually crossed my mind as well, that this one could only be for a first stage of superstructure erection. But, then I was thinking - would the eficiencies to potentially be gained from a more traditional core-located tower crane be enough to justify the logistics of this all (instead of just sticking with this one the whole way)??

At any rate, I'm fascinated by this stuff.....
I heard the crane configuration on this project was brought about by a new Lendlease policy that the typical internal crawling crane used in all other offices in chicago and most other large cities is no longer safe because the crane company is no longer in business and cannot provide certification of that type of crane.

An internally climbing crane was preferred by the city (the permit application for this configuration was rejected multiple times) and would have been more cost effective for the project. It would also not have required the 480v generator you see on the platform in the photos and would not have required the considerable temporary steel in the middle of the future lobby. This configuration no doubt came at a premium of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

To address the comment above, this will be the only crane for the project.

Very cool engineering. It's not often you see something like this.

Last edited by Bombardier; Aug 3, 2016 at 10:47 AM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 12:59 PM
BANNED

^Welcome to the forum and thanks for clarifying. I was way off!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 2:35 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Second that.....

^^ Welcome, thank you - very interesting stuff!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 3:24 PM

I love how this forum is an "ask and ye shall receive" kind of place. Want a shot of the sick tower crane going up? Sure. Want one with a crazy perspective of a worker resting on the tackle? Here ya go. Trying to figure out why they even did it that way in the first place? Theories and then someone chimes in with the inside scoop.

Thanks for the contribution everyone.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 3:32 PM

If indeed this rig is going to be used for 130 N Franklin I think we might be further from a construction start than has been speculated.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 3:45 PM

CNA is about to take off and is significantly shorter than the big two we just watched go up. If 130 is planning to start true construction in Fall, it's not all that unreasonable to think they may not need the crane until winter. At that point this building will be pretty much topped out. I mean the core is already like 3 floors and it was nothing but a hole in the mud a week ago. Once the core is a few more floors the steel will probably start showing up in earnest and they will fly.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 3:58 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Even if 130 N Franklin were delayed to, let's say, caisson start mid-first quarter next year, they would definitely still need a tower crane there prior to this tower crane coming down......

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 3:08 PM
tilted & shifted

From John Buck's twitter account: "We are excited to announce the closing of a $233.3 million construction loan for the development of #151NF @hff"

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 6:51 PM

Around 1:30 today (8/4):

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive