HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 4:52 PM

HossC, thanks for locating where that photo was taken! I gave it a try for awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post
As per the website: "This photograph was taken on Tahunga Boulevard in Burbank, California in 1957".....I'm going to respectfully disagree, this looks like mid-Wilshire to me.

Agree it is prob. not Burbank. Plus Tuhunga Blvd. is in NoHo, not Burbank.

You say Tahunga, I say Tuhunga...

Actually the street in NoHo is Tujunga "Ave." (Original post in question has "Boulevard.) And while I was looking yesterday, there actually is a Tujunga Ave. in Burbank.

Or, more precisely, E. Tujunga Ave.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 4:55 PM

I should have questioned why the market/house structure looked so odd. Your findings explain it all. Thanks Noir Noir.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 5:13 PM

Like the truck full of men, the following photograph involves Figueroa Street.

As you can see it's listed on eBay backwards so let's flip it and take a closer look.

I tried to adjust the contrast to no avail. (but I was able to lighten it)

eBay

The writing on the reverse is what makes this photograph especially interesting.

For search purposes:...Ray McClain(?) - 1927 - 5927 Figueroa Street - Los Angeles, California

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 6:02 PM

This next photograph should get the attention of our railway experts.

"Original California Southern Railroad train Circa 1890s"...$90.00

Repeat after me:...IGNORE THE COIN.

All kinds of questions come to mind:..

Does the dirt road lead up to a house? - -was the photograph taken from the house? (which would be behind the photographer)

Are the wooden(?) things on the right for grape vines?

Does the area look familiar to anyone?

If you look closely at the train it appears to be traveling at a pretty good clip!

Would this type of train be considered an Interurban? (I remember reading that interurbans in Illinois traveled quite fast)

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 6:36 PM

New video on youtube:
Los Angeles 1960s, Sunset Strip at Night
(4K 60fps, added sound w/ color remaster)

I posted some of the following in the comment section: Besides the last 40 seconds, this footage appears to have been filmed as three separate trips from east to west down the Sunset Strip from approximately La Cienega to Doheny--once centered straight on, the 2nd toward the right and the 3rd toward the left, each about 2 1/2 mins.; possibly filmed as background to be seen out of the interior of a car in a film or TV production.

The footage was filmed in January of 1966. (The footage goes by The Trip where it shows Wilson Pickett appearing. His engagement there was from January 17-30, 1966.)
Later that year Ed Ruscha would be photographing "every building on the Sunset Strip."

The Battle of the Bulge billboard seen below is at Sunset and Holloway. The film premiered and opened at the Cinerama Dome on Dec. 16, 1965, which happened to be the 21st Anniversary of the titular battle. (21 years ago from now we experienced 9/11.)

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
THANKS Flyingwedge!

Found on eBay

"1942 East LA Los Angeles California Rio Grande Market"

eBay

I was able to locate the address in the 1956 directory

LAPL

Believe it or not, the building (or what's left of it) is still standing at the north end of Bunker Hill Ave!

You can check it out for yourself, Here

Lastly, here's an aerial view.

google-earth

As you can see, large apartments buildings are sprouting up all around it. I imagine this mostly empty lot will be a construction site in the near future.

Well, scratch another "mystery location" off the list....last year I posted this photo here....https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...73#post9414473

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 2:37 AM

Quote:

pixels.com

As per the website: "This photograph was taken on Tahunga Boulevard in Burbank, California in 1957".....I'm going to respectfully disagree, this looks like mid-Wilshire to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
This is S. Mariposa Avenue just south of W. 3rd Street. The building on the left is the Monticello at 320 S Mariposa Avenue.

He replied, "Thanks so much, I appreciate that. I was with my Dad when
he took the picture. I was 5 and my dad frequently drove around to take
pictures. I don't believe we knew anyone at that location. I thought it was
in Burbank because that's where my sister lived. I will correct the information.
Thanks again! Matt

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 6:05 AM

Great work, Martin Pal....how many of these misidentifications have been corrected due to you reaching out to the posters?.....Gary Winogrand's "Sailor in the Mist" walking over the bridge, Robby Muller's green building that turned out to be in Austin, where you got to his widow, and this one come to mind.....thanks for taking the time to contact these folks.

I knew the Oak's photo i.d. was off right away (well, to be fair we all knew), it could not have been Burbank.....it's a good picture, and the other one with the convertible T-Bird in Beverly Hills approaching Sunset is also nicely composed....these must be slides, the resolution is so good....

Matt Oaks says his father was an avid photographer, maybe he has some others of the city that were not posted on that site....we would love to see them!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 7:53 AM

Quote:

There's a slight chance that we may be able to figure out where the photograph was taken because if you look closely on the left there is a building that appears to have a name on the roof.

detail

Of course the photograph may have been taken in front of the transfer company at 910-59(?) Figueroa Street.

USC Digital Library

Nope, most likely another satisfied customer of Deluxe Transfer. The paint store in the photo is now the Original Pantry.

Quote:
Another from the same site, also dated 1957.....

.....a T-Bird approaching Sunset Bl. in Beverly Hills.

Google Street View - Click Me!

Somebody posted a message which has since disappeared identifying the street as Beverly Dr., based on the mix of palms. So 90% of the credit goes to that NLA regular. This view is indeed on Beverly, looking south toward Canon. The most easily identifiable feature is the leaning tree at the corner on the left above the Thunderbird. The tree is gone after 2011. Columbo is parked by a path leading to Will Rogers Park. In the oldest GSV view, the pilasters on the left aren't hidden by a hedge. Lax Code enforcement, no doubt.

Last edited by Mackerm; Jul 2, 2022 at 7:34 PM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
HossC, thanks for locating where that photo was taken! I gave it a try for awhile.

You say Tahunga, I say Tuhunga...

Actually the street in NoHo is Tujunga "Ave." (Original post in question has "Boulevard.) And while I was looking yesterday, there actually is a Tujunga Ave. in Burbank.

Or, more precisely, E. Tujunga Ave.
I didn't know Burbank had a Tujunga. I stand corrected.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 5:26 PM

Quote:

This next photograph should get the attention of our railway experts.

"Original California Southern Railroad train Circa 1890s"...$90.00

Repeat after me:...IGNORE THE COIN.

All kinds of questions come to mind:..

Does the dirt road lead up to a house? - -was the photograph taken from the house? (which would be behind the photographer)

Are the wooden(?) things on the right for grape vines?

Does the area look familiar to anyone?

If you look closely at the train it appears to be traveling at a pretty good clip!

Would this type of train be considered an Interurban? (I remember reading that interurbans in Illinois traveled quite fast)

I think the locomotive and car belong to the Cahuenga Valley Railroad.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 7:01 PM

Quote:

Great work, Martin Pal....how many of these misidentifications have been corrected due to you reaching out to the posters?...
I've corrected or expanded descriptions of many USC images over the years, and they've always been very grateful. Sadly, I have to admit that I rarely visit their site since they "improved" it. I now find it harder to search and harder to get to the brilliant hi-res images they have. I know it says to email the admin to get access, but access just used to be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackerm View Post

Columbo is parked by a path leading to Will Rogers Park.
I thought the same thing when I saw this gray Peugeot 403 back in 2014. The original full image is now missing, and the link no longer works, but it was taken on Bunker Hill if my memory's correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

While going back to look at the original Corvette picture, I spotted a car I'd missed in one of FredH's other photos. At first I thought Lt. Columbo was parked up on the left, but closer inspection showed a roof rack, so it couldn't be his Peugeot 403 convertible .

Detail of picture above.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Great work, Martin Pal....how many of these misidentifications have been corrected due to you reaching out to the posters?.....Gary Winogrand's "Sailor in the Mist" walking over the bridge, Robby Muller's green building that turned out to be in Austin, where you got to his widow, and this one come to mind.....thanks for taking the time to contact these folks.

I knew the Oak's photo i.d. was off right away (well, to be fair we all knew), it could not have been Burbank.....it's a good picture, and the other one with the convertible T-Bird in Beverly Hills approaching Sunset is also nicely composed....these must be slides, the resolution is so good....

Matt Oaks says his father was an avid photographer, maybe he has some others of the city that were not posted on that site....we would love to see them!
Thanks, riichkay! If the eBay links are still active on photos that NLA-ers have found the locations to, or corrected mis-identified photos (like the recent Santa Barbara courthouse photo) I have often sent them an email with the info, corrected or established. As HossC mentioned, I also have found that people who have these photos, or are trying to sell them, appreciate the correct information.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask Mr. Oaks if he has any other photos like those two that he might be willing to share with us. See what he says...!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 11:12 PM

How about this being Lucky Baldwins rancho? -- he had similar railcars on his line too---and those mountains certainly could be due north of his fields and orchards...

Last edited by rick m; Jul 1, 2022 at 8:49 PM. Reason: spelling corrected

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 9:15 AM

Quote:

Like the truck full of men, the following photograph involves Figueroa Street.

eBay

Did early Coca Cola actually have cocaine in it, or is that an urban myth? Apparently cocaine was legal before the 1900s-1920s, as were other drugs.The Pure Food and Drug Act in the 1900s regulated and prohibited some additives, including addictive opiates. Not sure about cocaine though.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jul 3, 2022 at 9:31 AM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post

Did early Coca Cola actually have cocaine in it, or is that an urban myth?
I thought I'd read that it was an urban myth (possibly Coca-Cola trying play it down), but a little googling suggests that it's true in that it contained an extract from the coca leaf. In 1903, this extract was removed from the recipe, and by 1929, all coca additives were removed. When they took out the coca, we got extra caffeine and sugar!

Some references:

Coca - museum.dea.gov
The History of Coca-Cola
Was/Is there cocaine in Coca-Cola?

As an aside, €50m worth of cocaine was discovered in a French Coca-Cola plant back in 2016, but this was not destined for the beverage.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 4:02 PM

LA Times, 2/25/1902. (I believe that, in the last paragraph, "cocoa leaf" is a typo for "coca leaf.")

The Women's Christian Temperance Union was alarmed:

LA Herald, 7/13/1904.

Last edited by odinthor; Jul 3, 2022 at 8:50 PM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 11:51 PM

Willacre Park in Studio City

took a little hike today up into Willacre Park in Studio City --

I wandered a bit off the trail and found this little stack-stone foundation, with some stairs. There was a tree growing behind it -- I assume the tree grew well after the stones were set up. Any thoughts / ideas? Happy 4th ya'll.

Was curious if anyone was aware of a home tract up there?

EXACT LOCATION: 34.13323° N, 118.39315° W

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post

LA Times, 2/25/1902. (I believe that, in the last paragraph, "cocoa leaf" is a typo for "coca leaf.")

Who wants the "real thing", "classic" Coca Cola, pre-1929?

Thanks Hoss & Odinthor for the answers to my query. Cocaine was villified and taken out, but they left the other stimulant caffeine in, or added it when they took out the "coca leaf extract". Odd how some drugs are judged OK but others are banned. I have never tried cocaine (and won't as long as it is illegal) but now that I am older and often tired, I think to myself "I wonder if a bit of cocaine (if it was legal) would give me some energy?" Caffeine doesn't work all that well for me. A cup or two of coffee helps me wake up, but often it leaves me nervous but still tired. Wired and tired. It seems to me that adults should be able to choose their energy source as long as they can do so safely and not harm other people.

I would love to sample some really "classic" coca cola from the old days of noir to see what I am missing if it was re-legalized, perhaps by prescription. Somebody should start a movement to bring back the original (pre 1929) Coca Cola. People were so depressed by the end of "classic Coke" in 1929 that the Great Depression started. Did "classic" coke gave the 1920s its energetic roar? The formulation apparently gave people an energy boost safely. It must have been good, since few stocks did better than Coca Cola from 1910-1929 as sales boomed. Investing in it made baseball player Ty Cobb a millionaire many times over

Last edited by CaliNative; Jul 4, 2022 at 1:47 PM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post

Who wants the "real thing", "classic" Coca Cola, pre-1929?

Thanks Hoss & Odinthor for the answers to my query. Cocaine was villified and taken out, but they left the other stimulant caffeine in, or added it when they took out the "coca leaf extract". Odd how some drugs are judged OK but others are banned. I have never tried cocaine (and won't as long as it is illegal) but now that I am older and often tired, I think to myself "I wonder if a bit of cocaine (if it was legal) would give me some energy?" Caffeine doesn't work all that well for me. A cup or two of coffee helps me wake up, but often it leaves me nervous but still tired. Wired and tired. It seems to me that adults should be able to choose their energy source as long as they can do so safely and not harm other people.

I would love to sample some really "classic" coca cola from the old days of noir to see what I am missing if it was re-legalized, perhaps by prescription. Somebody should start a movement to bring back the original (pre 1929) Coca Cola. People were so depressed by the end of "classic Coke" in 1929 that the Great Depression started. Did "classic" coke gave the 1920s its energetic roar? The formulation apparently gave people an energy boost safely. It must have been good, since few stocks did better than Coca Cola from 1910-1929 as sales boomed. Investing in it made baseball player Ty Cobb a millionaire many times over
Don't get me started about the "pep" in Pepsi.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos