HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 6:16 PM

Usually, only the most vocal critics of a plan/proposal/etc sign up to speak at City Hall, hoping to get it cancelled or amended (the rest of us can’t be bothered); perceived popularity in favour of bike lanes and against Option 1 is likely survivorship bias.

Case in point: the Broadway Plan itself had over two hundred speakers, and most of them against it - not counting the petitions - but it’s safe to assume that most Vancouverites either slightly support the plan or don’t care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
I'm personally not going to jump to any conclusions. Everyone said ABC were NIMBY obstructionists, but they soundly rejected any rate of change policy for Broadway as proposed by staff. Perhaps they're also not as anti bike lane as people might think?...
They have spent a lot of time and effort getting rid of the one in Stanley Park.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 6:26 PM

What I took away from the presentation and back-and-forth was that Staff didn't have a "plan" for what they wanted to do with the whole street aside from "more patios".

Like, okay they don't recommend a bike lane on Broadway but what is their plan for the other bike routes with the thousands of new people coming to the area and all the development - "we'll look into that". IMO Option 1 is the best route because it won't get rushed.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
They have spent a lot of time and effort getting rid of the one in Stanley Park.
I consider the ABC parks board to be a completely different animal.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 6:46 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
As far as I can tell the city staff position is "It seems too hard and we don't have enough time so we don't want to do it."
I could sense Boyle was more than a little pissed that city staff hasn't used the 9 months since they were directed to look into a bike lane to speak to the subway contractors, speak to some stakeholders, or otherwise do something more than drawing pretty street cross-sections.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
I could sense Boyle was more than a little pissed that city staff hasn't used the 9 months since they were directed to look into a bike lane to speak to the subway contractors, speak to some stakeholders, or otherwise do something more than drawing pretty street cross-sections.
Also another HUGE takeaway. What did they DO int hat time?!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 8:07 PM

^Anticipate ABC's lack of interest in bike lanes ;(

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 8:49 PM

As I said previously 10th Ave is a great cycling pathway that I've used for 4 years commuting to UBC Burnaby, so I was using its entire length. And I need to mention that I am the kind of cyclist that most people hate because I go at the red light and roll through stop signs etc. I incident that I had in 4 years was at one of those small roundabouts where I collided with another cyclist, likely no injuries, and that was my fault as I was flying downhill pretty fast. People that ride the bike properly with an average speed of 15-20 kms/hour should have no issues at all.
All year round I was using good quality front and rear lights. That is super helpful for drivers to ensure they can see you.
My only conflict was when the driver was turning right and not doing a shoulder check, as any decent cyclist you must know that a be ready to stop at any moment.
I just love 10th so much because I rode it for so long and was a "Local Legend" on Strava for some time too!
I would still support bike lanes along Broadway because it is more options and it makes the street a lot better and safer for all most importantly it makes cars drive slower, which makes it safer for all.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 8:51 PM
be nice to the crackheads

I love 10th. It's such a beautiful street to ride a bike on.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
I love 10th. It's such a beautiful street to ride a bike on.
10th is great and so is Ontario for N/S.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
... And I need to mention that I am the kind of cyclist that most people hate because I go at the red light and roll through stop signs etc. I incident that I had in 4 years was at one of those small roundabouts where I collided with another cyclist, likely no injuries, and that was my fault as I was flying downhill pretty fast. People that ride the bike properly with an average speed of 15-20 kms/hour should have no issues at all...
... As a pedestrian, I'm halfway convinced to just take my chances with the cars.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 9:41 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
As I said previously 10th Ave is a great cycling pathway that I've used for 4 years commuting to UBC Burnaby, so I was using its entire length. And I need to mention that I am the kind of cyclist that most people hate because I go at the red light and roll through stop signs etc. I incident that I had in 4 years was at one of those small roundabouts where I collided with another cyclist, likely no injuries, and that was my fault as I was flying downhill pretty fast. People that ride the bike properly with an average speed of 15-20 kms/hour should have no issues at all.
All year round I was using good quality front and rear lights. That is super helpful for drivers to ensure they can see you.
My only conflict was when the driver was turning right and not doing a shoulder check, as any decent cyclist you must know that a be ready to stop at any moment.
I just love 10th so much because I rode it for so long and was a "Local Legend" on Strava for some time too!
I would still support bike lanes along Broadway because it is more options and it makes the street a lot better and safer for all most importantly it makes cars drive slower, which makes it safer for all.
The poor visibility at intersections and all the parked cars are terrible though. I would never take my daughter cycling there, but I would have no issue taking her on the seawall or the other AAA paths downtown.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 9:52 PM

The parked cars really present poor intersection visibility and the roundabouts usually feature cars and bikes that zip through, close call t-bones. Not to mention for most of the ride I'm biking directly into oncoming traffic as it's largely 1 traffic lane for 2-way traffic.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
The parked cars really present poor intersection visibility and the roundabouts usually feature cars and bikes that zip through, close call t-bones. Not to mention for most of the ride I'm biking directly into oncoming traffic as it's largely 1 traffic lane for 2-way traffic.
Bikes go way too fast through a lot of roundabouts. Cars have to slow down at least for the size of the vehicle, bikes can almost go straight through.

My son and I have almost been hit by bikes numerous times on the walk to school. Cars haven't been an issue (at roundabouts).

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 10:35 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Bikes go way too fast through a lot of roundabouts. Cars have to slow down at least for the size of the vehicle, bikes can almost go straight through.

My son and I have almost been hit by bikes numerous times on the walk to school. Cars haven't been an issue (at roundabouts).
It might be helpful to pair Vancouver's roundabouts with speed bumps or raised crosswalks. I have almost been hit by both car and bikes while driving, walking, and biking through them.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 10:49 PM

Council passed option 1 for the Broadway Transportation Lanes, the design without bike lanes.

Vote was 6-3

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
Council passed option 1 for the Broadway Transportation Lanes, the design without bike lanes.

Vote was 6-3
maddog with the scoop as it happens!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post

Vote was 6-3
I don't think anyone's too surprised about that. I'm assuming the vote was split on party lines?

Of note, there was a civil engineer presenter last night that proposed a 3 lane solution instead of the 2 and 4 lane solutions. It seemed well thought out to me, it's too bad it didn't have a chance to get fleshed out.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 11:04 PM

Quote:
I'm assuming the vote was split on party lines?
Yup

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 11:10 PM

ABC showin off its majority, two councilors absent.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post
ABC showin off its majority, two councilors absent.
Does anyone know if an ABC councillor has broken ranks on any votes yet? I understand that in theory they should be aligned on most things, but I'd also like to see proof that they're not all whipped.

Obligatory DailyHive article for your light reading pleasure:

Vancouver City Council rejects protected bike lanes for Broadway

Quote:
Protected bike lanes will not be coming to Broadway in Vancouver as part of the reconstruction of the street’s city blocks impacted by subway construction.

The ABC Vancouver party-controlled City Council followed recommendations from City staff to oppose the installation of the bike lane at this time.

With today’s decision, the Broadway city blocks currently impacted by the construction of five subway stations for SkyTrain’s Millennium Line Broadway Extension will see a reconstructed road design with four vehicle lanes — down from the existing standard of six vehicle lanes — along with widened sidewalk space for pedestrians, patios, street furniture, and trees, on the existing curbside lane, to make it a “Great Street” for pedestrians.

City Council voted 6-3 in favour of following City staff recommendations, with OneCity Councillor Christine Boyle and Green councillors Adriane Carr and Pete Fry in opposition. ABC councillors Sarah Kirby-Yung and Rebecca Bligh were absent from the decision.

“Right now Broadway is not an attractive street, but it will be a more attractive street if we follow this [original] plan,” said ABC Councillor Mike Klassen during the meeting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues