HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 12:27 AM
FUS RO DAH!

COBRA COMPLEX - 44 storeys, 154 meters twisted tower for Rio de Janeiro

The COBRA Organization its the most powerful political and financial group on Earth, acting mainly towards human freedom and fighting through its military might the G.I Joe imperialists.

Now, through the acquisition of the abandoned Mauá Pier, at Rio de Janeiro City Downtown, Brasil, COBRA is creating is main command base in Latin America: COMPLEXO EMPRESARIAL COBRA (COBRA BUSINESS COMPLEX)

The COBRA Business Complex will have as its main objective the prospection, sales and management of Security Services in Brazil and the rest of Latin America. COBRA has the know-how and the military strenght to fight brazilian criminality. Through agreements forged between COBRA lawyers and the brazilian government, criminals captured by COBRA forces in Brazil will be sent to the COBRA ISLAND for imprisonment, and if possible, to the Brainwashing and Conversion Facility.

The COBRA Business Complex will also supply logistics services (a reason for its position near Rio´s port) through Cobra´s sea and air fleets.

Another important activity will be to serve as consulate for the newly independent Cobra nation, based on Cobra Island.

Finally, several secundary economic activies will happen in the elegant 40 storeys skyscraper that serves as the complex main landmark.

ps: Cobra Commander reminds you all that Cobra Organization IS NOT a terrorist organization as its deceitful spread by some imperialist governments, which in fact simply are against the freedom message that COBRA transmits to the world.
source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobra_Organization

COBRA, PROTECTING YOUR RIGHT TO A BETTER FUTURE

COBRA COMPLEX DESCRIPTION

The Cobra Business Complex consists of 4 commercial buildings, a garage building, a monorail station and rowhouses.

The main building is a marvel of modern architecture, projected by renowed SSC architect Rogério Penna (aka AcesHigh/Trantor (in SSP)
At 40 storeys tall (proposal for 60 storeys seen at end of post, pending approval and municipal urbanistic legislation change by the city administration), it rises to the heights like a snake, with its dark glass panels reminding the scales of a beautiful serpent.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9316/tt10g.jpg

The skyscraper is located over the garage building. Access is found throught the garage building or through to main promenade (which counts with rampstairs, for easy of use by disabilitated people).

There is also an helipad at the northwest corner of the pier.

The building has the highest atrium in Brazil (over 140 meters tall), where visitors will be able to appreciate the internal architecture through panoramic elevators. The building top will serve as observation area, while its 38th and 37th floors will be an exclusive office to Cobra Commander himself, in his visits to the country.

Soon at the pier entrance, to the left, we have some stores which will serve the thousands of brazilian employees who will work at the Cobra Complex, besides the general population, since the complex will be open to the public.

Above the stores we can find a building with offices for the administration and security of the complex, besides barracks for a small security task force.

At the left side for visitors, behind the stores, accessible through a secundary street, two commercial buildings of 5 floors, suspended for parking area below, will be open for buying or renting by brazilian investors and businessmen. There are plans, on the other hand, to use one of the buildings as a Cobra Organization History Museum, where you will be able to see the life trajectory of the great man Cobra Commander, from rags to world respected leader, as well as Cobra´s military arsenal and technology.

pending rendering

pending rendering

Still on the main street, visitors will soon see at their left beautiful modernist rowhouses. While the majority of them will be on sale, some will be reserved for temporary housing of top Cobra executives who may be sent to oversee Cobra activities in Brazil.

At the right side of the puier, visitors will be able to walk in a nice tree shadowed path, with the sea of Guanabara Bay at their right side.
The path leades to the main promenade, where they will be able to witness a few great giant sculptures created by the famous scottish sculptor, Destro.

In the same area its located the beautiful monorail station of the complex.

Though the complex counts with a garage building that can park more than 1000 cars in its two pavements, the prediction is that the flux of personel and visitors will fastly expand, and because of that, the monorail will connect the complex to Rio´s subway system, as well to a garage building complex that will be built by COBRA in a later date.

pending rendering.

INTERNAL PERSPECTIVES OF THE MAIN BUILDING

(atrium)

pending rendering (atrium)

INTERNAL PERSPECTIVE SECUNDARY COMMERCIAL BUILDING

INTERNAL PERSPECTIVE STORES
pending rendering

INTERNAL PERSPECTIVE ROWHOUSES
pending rendering

BLUEPRINTS
Main building (+- 1200 sq meters of area per floor, without counting the circular hallway around the atrium)

Blueprint Secondary Commercial Building
pending rendering

Blueprints Rowhouses: over 269 sq meters, including garage but excluding open areas, like front garden, terrace and balconies. Only 6 meters of diameter.

ALTERNATIVE PROPOSAL (60 storeys)

Last edited by Trantor; May 9, 2009 at 12:53 AM.

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 12:32 AM
FUS RO DAH!

the building came up as an idea for a CONTEST THREAD at the Sketchup Subforum of the Brazilian forum at SSC.

The contest consisted of designing something to the abandoned Maua Pier near Rio de Janeiro Downtown. There were a few rules, one of them being maximun height of 40 floors.

AFTER creating the tower, I thought it reminded me of a snake. I couldnt come up with a good portuguese name for it, just COBRA (snake in portuguese, while the snake known as "cobra" in english is called "NAJA" in portuguese).

Then suddenly I reminded of the GiJoe movie, and I found a cool COBRA logo to put on top of the tower and came up with the whole silly story, although it was quite funny imagining a real world Cobra Corporation

location of the abandoned Mauá Pier, at Rio de Janeiro

link to GoogleMaps
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=-...27552&t=h&z=16

you can see it on the upper right part of this photo

in old times when it was still used

nowadays, its only used to park cars

link to big photo showing the pier and also the navy base with an aircraft carrier and some destroyers.
http://www.panoramio.com/photos/original/3018334.jpg[/img]

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 1:39 AM
Editor

Omg.

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 2:41 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Allow me to rephrase Patrick's statement...

OMG!

I'm utterly speechless...this could be the single most well designed, well rendered and well presented buildings I've ever seen on these forums. It is absolutely un-fracking-believable how good it is!!!

BRAVO! ENCORE!!

Anthony

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 3:41 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

neat design

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 9:01 AM

jesus f**king h christ!!that is some serious sketchin man.
..every single bit of it is oozing coolness and style from the tower to the
sculpture...i just cant give you enough praise..trantor the cobra king!!

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 9:19 AM
Red October standing by

rad.

-

-fflint

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 9:38 AM

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 11:03 AM
<:

OMFG. this is just....

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 11:39 AM
Closed account

What the......I'm speechless.I have never EVER seen that good stuff on here in a while.Speechlees

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 6:42 PM
i like stuff

wow this is probably the best thing I've ever seen on SSP
was this all done in sketchup? If so wow that takes some serious time and effort.

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 7:06 PM

impressive renders

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 7:43 PM
Closed account

Where did you get the skill?

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 9:45 PM
Administrator

Sorta looks like a cross between Foster's 30 St Mary Axe and Calatrava's Turning Torso.

Awesome work for s/u... wowow!

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 9:56 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Exactly my thoughts Jason! Trantor, this is amazing! I've always tried making extremely detailed skyscrapers but I fail. Mainly because I get too bored. But this is awesome. I can't believe you even designed the small townhomes! Anyways, great job.

Was all of this done in Kerkythea? Or did you use another renderings software?

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 9:56 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeR View Post
wow this is probably the best thing I've ever seen on SSP
was this all done in sketchup? If so wow that takes some serious time and effort.
thanks you all for your kind replies.

yes, it was all done in Sketchup. Took me 4 days to model and about 3 to render the images.

notice that I used all my freetime modelling it (and also slept less than I should have, this week). As for the rendering, used VRAY. Rendered it in average quality for fast renderings. Not noticeable unless in interior renders, where you get some weird shadow blobs everywhere. Also avoided use of other lights except the sun, else render time would triplicate, quadruplicate... (specially in a skyscraper... using lights on all floors makes a 30 minutes render takes 5 to 6 hours... or more!)

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 10:13 PM

please post more on s.s.page trantor ..would love so see more of your buildings.....

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 10:33 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
Exactly my thoughts Jason! Trantor, this is amazing! I've always tried making extremely detailed skyscrapers but I fail. Mainly because I get too bored. But this is awesome. I can't believe you even designed the small townhomes! Anyways, great job.

Was all of this done in Kerkythea? Or did you use another renderings software?
thanks Alex. VRAY only.

as for detailed skyscrapers, Ive done only those since I discovered Sketchup.

here is the GERDAU STEEL TOWER I did in 2007. I rendered it in Artlantis though, but its as detailed as the Cobra building

I think I had posted it in SSP, but maybe the thread is too old...
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=513966

I also have another project ready, and I should post it soon. Its taking longer because I am trying to make fully detailed internal photos (that is, I am making internal renderings that will include furniture, curtains, etc, etc)

here is a sneek peek... Aces International Trade Center

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 10:41 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota74 View Post
please post more on s.s.page trantor ..would love so see more of your buildings.....
ok, since you ask...

there is the AcesITC, which I have only released that single photo yet (but I have more than 30 renders already made)

there is the Gerdau Tower. It was posted here at SSP in 2007, but the thread doesnt exists anymore. You can check the thread at SSC though.

here are some images of it.

and there is also the Residencial Minas Tirith, which was posted here at SSP a few weeks ago
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=163899

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 11:17 PM
Resident Jackass

cool

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup