HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 11:32 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Best of All He Loved the Fall🍂Forever Hemingway @Ketchum|Sun Valley

It has been a while since I have posted a Sun Valley thread, so here are some photos from a quick weekend trip to Sun Valley from Boise in October 2022.
I will be posting a few follow ups in this thread of a big parade and a big lake with teeth.

Enjoy! #Idahome
@MarielHemingway

Video Link

More on the way soon
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Last edited by Sawtooth; Feb 5, 2023 at 11:44 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 12:33 AM

Wow. That's all I've got.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 10:24 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by enro View Post
Wow. That's all I've got.
The Sun Valley area still has that effect on me and I visit it yearly. There are five mountain ranges that surround the narrow valley as well as five alpine Wilderness areas adjacent and near Ketchum.
There's a beautiful vibe to the Wood River Valley and it is fitting that it was chosen to be the first destination ski resort in the USA.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 1:03 AM

Great photos! Thank you for posting. Ketchum and Sun Valley are such a wonderful place. The Boulder mountains north of town are also incredibly scenic. Your photos do an excellent job of capturing them.

I was in Sun Valley in early December for about ten days. We had about three or four feet of snow when I was there and I enjoyed some excellent skiing before the crowds arrived for Christmas.

I am glad you got a photo of my mom's store!

Quote:

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
The Sun Valley area still has that effect on me and I visit it yearly. There are five mountain ranges that surround the narrow valley as well as five alpine Wilderness areas adjacent and near Ketchum.
There's a beautiful vibe to the Wood River Valley and it is fitting that it was chosen to be the first destination ski resort in the USA.
The New York Times recently had a very good article about Sun Valley, noting this. The article said that Sun Valley is much quieter than places like Lake Tahoe or Vail but that is the charm of it.

You Don't Go to Sun Valley to Party
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/30/t...ki-resort.html

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 7:37 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Very nice to see. Even though this is only about 13 hours drive from where I live, I never associated Hemingway with Idaho before, only with Key West. Is the Christiania a reference to Copenhagen? At first glance, I wondered what kind of food you would get in a Christian restaurant.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 3:15 PM

That is a gorgeous area, one of the most beautiful in the Northwest. Sawtooth Mountain Guides are a great service to use for climbing and the Pioneer Mountains are some of the finest for technical climbing anywhere in the West.
The dining scene is 5 Star. The vintage Hollywood history is very interesting. Ernest had impeccable taste, so it makes sense he ended up in the mountains of Idaho to live out his life.

Thanks for this beautiful thread.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttop View Post
That is a gorgeous area, one of the most beautiful in the Northwest. Sawtooth Mountain Guides are a great service to use for climbing and the Pioneer Mountains are some of the finest for technical climbing anywhere in the West.
The dining scene is 5 Star. The vintage Hollywood history is very interesting. Ernest had impeccable taste, so it makes sense he ended up in the mountains of Idaho to live out his life.

Thanks for this beautiful thread.
I don't rock climb but the Devil's Bedstead hike is a moderately strenuous hike and it has spectacular views. It is one of the best activities around Sun Valley.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 7:23 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

The Boulders #Ketchum @Highway 75

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 7:51 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Ketchum Pilsner & Green is a go #turn left

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 3:37 PM

Beautiful photos! Did you schmooze with Demi Moore while you were there?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 11:46 PM

Thank you for this glimpse into a beautiful area!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2023, 6:04 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Very nice to see. Even though this is only about 13 hours drive from where I live, I never associated Hemingway with Idaho before, only with Key West. Is the Christiania a reference to Copenhagen? At first glance, I wondered what kind of food you would get in a Christian restaurant.
The Christiania is a French restaurant opened in 1959 by a chef (who loved to ski of course) who moved to Sun Valley, Idaho from France and it became one of Hemingway's favorite hangouts in Ketchum. He had his own table, which is still in the restaurant, and he ate his last meal there in July of 1961.

Quote:
https://michelschristiania.com/

Michel's Christiania Restaurant & Olympic Bar

Last edited by Sawtooth; Feb 13, 2023 at 8:56 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2023, 9:11 PM

This is Beautiful photography.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 6:52 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Great photos! Thank you for posting. Ketchum and Sun Valley are such a wonderful place. The Boulder mountains north of town are also incredibly scenic. Your photos do an excellent job of capturing them.

I was in Sun Valley in early December for about ten days. We had about three or four feet of snow when I was there and I enjoyed some excellent skiing before the crowds arrived for Christmas.

I am glad you got a photo of my mom's store!
Thanks! I remember when I posted a Sun Valley thread years ago, I posted a pic of your mom's store and was hoping it was still hers. The new developments on each side of her business seems daunting.

If you have any pics from your ski trip you would like to post here, go for it. I will be staying in downtown Ketchum this June, so a Sun Valley summer thread is on my list of photographic goals this year.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 7:23 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Sawtooth Valley in October~ Smoke courtesy of the dwindling Ross Fork forest fire

#Native #Northwest #Sockeye #Chinook #Salmon #Idahome
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident-in...dstf-ross-fork

https://www.mtexpress.com/news/envir...dba25f53b.html

Source:
https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.town...5a84.image.jpg

Sockeye
by Sean, on Flickr

Native
by Sean, on Flick

This sign is in Boise.

Northwest
by Sean, on Flickr

#NorthwestIsBest
by Sean, on Flickr

salmon
by Sean, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 9:13 PM
Registered Ugly

Nice photos. I stopped in here for the first time in the summer of 2021. My brother had just passed away a few months prior and I needed some space to clear my head. I visited the Hemingway memorial and his grave. The area seemed really pleasant. I had trouble getting into a sit-down restaurant though because it was a weekend and everything was packed. I'd like to go back sometime.

Another interesting thing about this area are the lava fields at Craters of the Moon I passed through on my way back to Oregon.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 2:51 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Pretty! Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
I don't rock climb but the Devil's Bedstead hike is a moderately strenuous hike and it has spectacular views. It is one of the best activities around Sun Valley.

Next time I am in the area, I want to do some climbing in the Sawtooth's. A buddy has several times and I am so envious of him.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2023, 9:57 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

this is great to see.

i have visited most of the major hemngway sites, but this very important one has alluded our travels.

if you could show a tour of the house sometime that would be appreciated!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos