HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
Turtle club is for those who splug the manholes downtown seriously though I've been in most of them running fiber crazy the things u find under the streets downtown....

Not familiar with the sandwich shop mentioned above where was it?
If your asking about Nathan's detroit sandwich shop its in the Richardson Bldg part of the underground concourse just east of Tim Hortons.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 3:10 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
If your asking about Nathan's detroit sandwich shop its in the Richardson Bldg part of the underground concourse just east of Tim Hortons.
There was a sandwich shop in their? Dang had no idea

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 4:34 PM

Looks like the move for GW Metal from an old building in the north end of the exchange district to Border St by the airport may not have worked out to good.

There have been a few newspaper ads about an equipment auction at GW Metal, and looking at the auction listing this morning, its the whole plant that is up on the auction block not just a few extra pieces of equipment.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 8:20 AM

The Hampton Inn by Hilton Downtown Winnipeg (former Charter House) has been added to the Hilton booking site:

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/ywg...ipeg-downtown/

Current scheduled opening date is March 15, 2023

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 1:30 PM
What could go wrong?

They finally have the parapet torn off and are preparing for the 2 storey addition. March 2023 seems pretty aggressive for occupancy considering the addition hasn't structurally started yet.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 2:00 PM

Interesting that Hampton Inn is coming back to downtown Winnipeg after their previous location became the independent Humphry Inn.

I wonder how wise it is for a brand to move into an old building, though. All but the biggest budget renovations leave behind unpleasant traces of the old place. It seems like a downgrade for Hampton to go from a new, purpose built building to a somewhat tired 1960s motor hotel... even if it is renovated.

Also, I wonder if the hotel project next door might get dusted off?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Interesting that Hampton Inn is coming back to downtown Winnipeg after their previous location became the independent Humphry Inn.

I wonder how wise it is for a brand to move into an old building, though. All but the biggest budget renovations leave behind unpleasant traces of the old place. It seems like a downgrade for Hampton to go from a new, purpose built building to a somewhat tired 1960s motor hotel... even if it is renovated.

Who is the franchisee for this Hampton Inn? Is it the same owners as the former Meth Western?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Meth Western?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

I think it has more to do with the owners. They established themselves with a solid clientele, and may have walked away from the brand to not have to pay the franchise fees.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 1:20 PM

Red River Co-Op bought 13 HUSKY gas stations, 9 in Winnipeg, 3 Kenora, 1 Dryden. This is fantastic, I'm a huge fan of co-operative business models. I wish even more understood this concept for housing, cottages, etc. I do wish Co-Op gas bars outside of Winnipeg did accept other Co-Op numbers though. For example Ile des Chenes is not Red River, but Niverville is. Anyways, this is great in my opinion. Some of their new build sites like St.V mall & Lag have EV charging station.

from FreePress
"The hubs undergoing the change include the following: 1656 Main St., 1701 Plessis Rd., 885 Waverley St., 1025 St. Mary’s Rd., 1011 Marion St., 705 Osborne St., 1567 Arlington St. and 1844 Portage Ave.

In Kenora, 470 Lakeview Dr., 1401 Hwy 17 E and 8 Chipman St. will be converted. Dryden’s Husky at 246 Government St. will also transform."

Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 1:27 PM

Transcona has missed out on a huge Amazon distribution centre and the City has missed out on getting infrastructure paid for. They are now looking at RM Rosser.

According to Klein, City Council didnt even know about it either.

Coun. Kevin Klein said he’s learned the retail industry giant approached the City of Winnipeg about building a large new facility and requested that an underpass at Dugald Road and Ravenhurst Street be constructed to support the project. He said Amazon then offered to cover the cost of the underpass and asked the city to approve a tax-increment financing grant, which would waive a portion of future taxes to support the investment.

He said the city again declined.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 2:47 PM

^ Ignoring a proposal that would have led to jobs and infrastructure investment? That sounds about right.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 3:40 PM

Angry

I am fuming reading this. The amount of jobs this would create and put Winnipeg on the map. Plus the underpass at dugald and ravenhurst is on the 2050 master plan!! It would have been paid for in it self. I hate this city

Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
I am fuming reading this.
That seems to have been the intention of the articles.

A few things to keep in mind. The articles that we've seen have been incomplete at best. They describe what a mayoral candidate Kevin Klein heard about this process. It may or may not have happened as described, but we really don't know all the facts behind the story (and, I suspect, there's a good chance we never will, unless our local reporters sprout some "journalism" credentials and actually look into the background of the story).

Is Kevin Klein just hoping for a bump to his campaign by going after this or is it a legitimate concern? We have no idea.

Despite hyperbole like Amazon was "snubbed" and "sent packing", they are apparently still building a facility at CentrePort. Yes, technically it is in Rosser R.M., but there will still be employment benefits to people living in the city.

We just don't know what the long-term costs of this facility would have been, factoring the long-term costs of building and maintaining the underpass and any other infrastructure requests that may or may not have been made.

True, the event may have been a major loss for the city, but the articles I've read have been so vague I can't believe there isn't more to the story that, hopefully, we'll hear about in the future.

I want to hear more, but I'm not ready to jump on the "we're so pathetic" bandwagon. I never really enjoyed that ride anyway.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 11:32 PM

Quote:
I am fuming reading this. The amount of jobs this would create and put Winnipeg on the map. Plus the underpass at dugald and ravenhurst is on the 2050 master plan!! It would have been paid for in it self. I hate this city
Shitty jobs in an extremely top down, worker abusive workplace? Amazon can fuck off. Besides they are already in the press as closing/abandoning a whack of overbuilt locations after pandemic boom ended, so I imagine it had more to do with that than “Winnipeg missing the boat”. As usual Klein is probably hyping up a whole lot of nothing to beat his chest and get press for his mayoral run. Klein is a useless blowhard, hyper-glossed hack. But I won’t tell you how I really feel hehe.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 2:13 AM

Skip released 300+ employees on Friday, I believe primarily call centre. Less ordering happening now that pandemic is "over", less people ordering

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 3:51 PM

Quote:
How would it have been paid for in itself? Winnipegger actually did some napkin math in the Mayoral Candidate thread and its not a good deal for taxpayers. All for shitty wish-we-could-pay-you-less-than-minimum-wage jobs from a notoriously shitty employer.

Sorry I don't know how to add a second quote. It's the last post on this page.
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...251065&page=24

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 4:14 PM

Going back to the Amazon underpass. I assume they were looking at the land at Pandora and Ravenhurst? They probably saw the cost of an interchange in Winnipeg and got cold feet.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 4:29 PM
What could go wrong?

Amazon was looking for 70 acres.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Going back to the Amazon underpass. I assume they were looking at the land at Pandora and Ravenhurst? They probably saw the cost of an interchange in Winnipeg and got cold feet.
Haha. I can just imagine when the estimate came in at 9 figures for what would be a $12 million project anywhere else.

I suppose ultimately it comes down not to enticing Amazon, but to how badly the city wants an underpass at Ravenhurst. If it's urgent, then moving it up a little on the priority list to get some help paying for it might not have been the worst thing in the world (all level crossings on the CN and CP mainlines are ultimately supposed to become grade separated...at least that's how I understand it). But if it really is the lowest priority, like on the same level as a prospective underpass at Community Row in Charleswood or whatever, then fair enough if the City didn't want to bother with it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan