HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 8:49 PM

Two-Thirds of Miami Condo Buildings Are Older Than 30 Years. Repair Bills Are Due

Quote:
By Laura Kusisto, Jon Kamp and Daniela Hernandez / Photographs by Maria Alejandra Cardona for The Wall Street Journal
July 14, 2021 10:09 am ET

Engineers say it can take just 30 years for condominium buildings to reach a point when owners can no longer delay making critical repairs.

In the Miami region, two out of every three condo buildings are more than 30 years old, according to data compiled by real-estate data firm Zillow for The Wall Street Journal. In at least seven other Florida cities, some three-quarters of condo buildings have hit that age.

Many of the aging towers line the beachfront, where salt corrosion and other forces are speeding their decline. That is leaving thousands of buildings saddled with multimillion-dollar repair costs—and little notion of how to pay for them . . . .

It often takes as little as 20 years for many building materials, including stucco, windows and shingles, to reach the end of what engineers and building inspectors call their “useful life”—industry jargon for materials that need replacement or significant repair.

Nationwide, more than half of all condo buildings have stood at least three decades, according to Zillow. Coastal cities have among the largest shares of such aging buildings. In Miami, nearly 40% of the housing stock is condos, the highest of any major metropolitan area in the U.S., according to Zillow.

Building inspectors must approve most condo buildings before the first residents move in, but oversight after that is limited in most U.S. counties . . . .

For condo towers with decades of deferred maintenance, the cost to repair leaking roofs, cracking concrete pillars and listing balconies can reach millions of dollars, an amount that few buildings have on hand, construction attorneys and structural engineers said. Shortly before Champlain Towers South collapsed, the board president told residents that costs for needed repairs, including concrete restoration work, had reached more than $15 million . . . .

The 11-story Manatee condo building in Surfside, Fla., struggled to reach a consensus over how to pay for major repairs a few years ago. It was built in 1974, during the Florida condo boom of the 1970s and 1980s.

Miami-Dade County requires a building inspection after 40 years. When the Manatee approached that milestone in 2014, it needed millions of dollars of work. That included fixing storm doors, electrical systems and corrosion.

At first, the project was budgeted for roughly $3.5 million, said Ira Kirschner, a 77-year-old retired accountant, who served on the condo’s board for 12 years. By the end, the figure had ballooned to nearly $7 million, he said. His share for his ninth floor unit was $47,500.

The building spent about five years on those repairs, with persistent pushback from residents about extra fees and the necessity of certain fixes, said Nelson Castellanos, who served on the board during that time. “Suddenly everyone thought they were a structural engineer,” said Mr. Castellanos, a retired highway engineer.

Former board members say the major repairs are now largely completed.

Florida law allows condo boards to waive a requirement in state law that they collect money from residents for potential future repairs. The Manatee voted for a number of years against keeping reserves.

Many of Florida’s buildings were built using concrete and rebar, a solid construction method that can stand for decades. To last, though, it requires diligent waterproofing during construction and afterward, which often wasn’t done in the early decades of the condo boom, according to Mr. Prichard, the construction lawyer.

Engineers and city officials who were around when Champlain Towers South, the Manatee and other similar buildings were built described a kind of Wild West atmosphere in which developers sometimes made late changes to the building design without consulting engineers. Local inspectors had limited training.

Construction jobs back then, unlike those today, weren’t required to have an expert known as a “threshold inspector” on site consistently, said Jaime Gascon, who directs the Board and Code Administration Division for Miami-Dade County’s Regulatory and Economic Resources Department. Those are experts hired by builders but who answer to local governments to make sure a building’s construction follows both the designs and the code.

A 1974 building collapse in downtown Miami inspired the requirement in Miami-Dade and Broward counties that buildings undergo an inspection once they reach 40 years, and that needed repairs be performed. John Pistorino, a structural engineer who was part of the team that evaluated that building collapse, spearheaded the 40-year recertification law.

That building, like Champlain Towers South, had problems with concrete deterioration.

“Our evaluation of that building was that it involved a deterioration of concrete because salt had gotten into the steel,” Mr. Pistorino said of the 1974 collapse during a presentation last week to concerned members of various condo boards. “The concrete then lost its capacity to hold.”

Florida now has among the strictest building codes in the country, enacted after Hurricane Andrew in 1992. There is no statewide requirement to reinspect buildings as they age.

In 2008, a special legislative committee formed by then-Florida House Speaker Marco Rubio, now a U.S. senator, led to legislation requiring any condo building taller than three stories to be inspected every five years. But a provision allowed condo owners to vote to exempt their buildings from that requirement. Lawmakers repealed the requirement altogether in 2010 as the state and country were emerging from the housing crash . . . .

There are limits to how much regulators can do to force condo associations to perform repairs on their own properties, absent evidence that they are structurally unsafe. Increasing inspection and repair requirements can burden retirees on fixed incomes, who make up a significant portion of residents in such aging Florida buildings, and lower-income owners.

Condo owners pay monthly maintenance fees that are supposed to cover common expenses such as taxes and everyday maintenance of shared areas. Engineers and board members say they sometimes face ferocious pushback when they have to persuade condo residents to pay extra for repairs to problems that may not become an issue in their lifetimes . . . .

https://www.wsj.com/articles/miami-c...d=hp_lead_pos5

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 9:00 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Pffft, 30 years? That's nothing. Our condo building here in Chicago is now 101 years old.

But it's an old Chicago 3-flat that was gut-rehabbed back in 2001, so not really the same thing.

But we did have to do about $15K of tuck-pointing around leaking lintels and parapets two years ago.

But out of the blue, middle of the night collapse is pretty much out of the question for sturdy old brick shithouses like Chicago flat buildings.

Fire is billions of times more concerning in unsprinklered buildings like ours.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jul 14, 2021 at 11:13 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 9:11 PM
An Optimistic Realist

I wonder if it would be worth it to repair these buildings, especially if nothing is done about the sea level rising. It does give an opportunity though to further urbanize Miami Beach by redoing these older condos from the ground level up.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 9:20 PM

It's really a failure of the condo association to reserve funds for the necessary repairs. 30 years is not an old building and a few million is not a huge monthly expense when shared by hundreds of homeowners and spread out over a number of years. My 23-floor condo building is now 110 years old and is in great shape with low HOA fees and decent reserves.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Pffft, 30 years? That's nothing. Our condo building here in Chicago is now 101 years old.

But it's an old Chicago 3-flat that was gut-rehabbed back in 2001, so not really the same thing.

But we did have to do about $15K of tuck-pointing around leaking lintels and parapets two years ago.

But out of the blue, middle of the night collapse is pretty much out of the question for sturdy old brick shithouses like Chicago flat buildings.

Fire is billions of times more concerning in unsprinklered buildings like ours.
Different type of construction, different location (not oceanfront).

Miami has apparently now had 2 of these type of buildings collapse. Most people would have said that was "out of the question" until it happened.

The important vulnerability seems to be the rebar in the presence of salt water. That's a common feature of Miami and other seaside condo buildings but probably not of a 3 story building in the middle of Chicago which sits on a freshwater lake.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jul 14, 2021 at 11:13 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 11:26 PM

Are we seeing the earliest signs of the coming Great Miami Housing Collapse? How many will get out before the Atlantic is lapping at their elevator doors?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
It does give an opportunity though to further urbanize Miami Beach by redoing these older condos from the ground level up.

If I owned property on Miami Beach I'd be quietly trying to sell.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 11:31 PM

Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, is denser than Barcelona, the entire district formed by 10-15 floors highrises, wall to wall, unlike we see in Miami or other Brazilian cities, where they stand alone.

Anyway, the whole thing was completely built up by the 1960’s and there is no collapse registered there.

There was clearly a major error during construction in Miami. Also, repairs must not be neglected the way it was.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, is denser than Barcelona, the entire district formed by 10-15 floors highrises, wall to wall, unlike we see in Miami or other Brazilian cities, where they stand alone.

Anyway, the whole thing was completely built up by the 1960’s and there is no collapse registered there.

There was clearly a major error during construction in Miami. Also, repairs must not be neglected the way it was.
And this one?

Quote:
On August 5, 1974, at 10:24 am EDT, a Federal office building housing the US Drug Enforcement Administration Miami Field Division office in downtown Miami, Florida, United States, collapsed after the roof caved in, causing the deaths of seven DEA employees and injuries to 15 others.

Initial speculation centered on a theory that the cars parked on a six-inch-thick slab of concrete on the roof were too heavy, causing the collapse. Investigations later concluded that resurfacing of the parking lot combined with salt in the sand had eroded the supporting steel structure of the building, weakening it catastrophically.

The building had been constructed in 1925, making it 49 years old at the time of the collapse. It had undergone a full engineering inspection in 1968 before the DEA office was cleared to move into the building. The structure underwent some renovations in 1971, the same year that the DEA moved into the building
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_M...lding_Collapse

There seems to be a pattern developing here.

Even if it's construction defects, a lot of these late 20th century buildings were similarly constructed and are similarly subject to salt and sea . . . and most likely inappropriate or just poor maintenance.

I have no idea what construction is used in Brazil but obviously there are oceanfront buildings all over the world. If a survey is done of the buildings in Miami, it would be interesting to then do one of buildings where there have been no known problems and see if there's any important differences.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
In 2008/2009 when Miami condos were really cheap, I was thinking about buying one for investment. Kind of glad now I didn't.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
And this one?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_M...lding_Collapse

There seems to be a pattern developing here.

Even if it's construction defects, a lot of these late 20th century buildings were similarly constructed and are similarly subject to salt and sea . . . and most likely inappropriate or just poor maintenance.

I have no idea what construction is used in Brazil but obviously there are oceanfront buildings all over the world. If a survey is done of the buildings in Miami, it would be interesting to then do one of buildings where there have been no known problems and see if there's anything important differences.
In fact, there was a very famous collapse in Rio de Janeiro in the 1990’s, on another oceanfront district (Barra da Tijuca) that was expanding fast back then. The building was U/C, and apparently they’ve used sand with salt, resulting in the collapse. It was a massive news back then, the developer got jail time and so on.

Coastal cities have this problem with salt and yet 99.99% of highrises are just fine. I’m no engineer, but I guess it’s not that challenging to build safe buildings that might stand even for centuries.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
In fact, there was a very famous collapse in Rio de Janeiro in the 1990’s, on another oceanfront district (Barra da Tijuca) that was expanding fast back then. The building was U/C, and apparently they’ve used sand with salt, resulting in the collapse. It was a massive news back then, the developer got jail time and so on.

Coastal cities have this problem with salt and yet 99.99% of highrises are just fine. I’m no engineer, but I guess it’s not that challenging to build safe buildings that might stand even for centuries.
Miami seems more prone to these building collapses it seems. maybe it has to do with all those anti-regulation governments they always elect.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
Well, I keep reading about price records being set down in south Florida, as in just about everywhere else. The thing with the older buildings, as NY Times notes in a recent article, is that they have always been reasonably priced and tend to have middle income people. Any new condo that is put up on the ocean is almost always priced in the high hundred thousands to the millions, and is only affordable for the rich. So if they have to knock down or extensively repair the condos, the middle class will be likely be priced and the area become exclusively a rich haven. One former resident of the tower pointed out that she was sharing the beach with a resident who paid millions for her condo (I think it was one of the Trumps but am not sure) but she only paid only a fraction of what the millionaire paid. I do wonder how much homeowners insurance will increase for the condos. Insurance is already high in FL because of climate risk. I just changed my condo insurance, at considerable savings, and fortunately, that was before the collapse. At the time I changed, I was told that insurance rates for single family homes had gone up a lot.

Last edited by DCReid; Jul 15, 2021 at 12:35 AM. Reason: spelling errors

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 1:44 AM

Quote:
In 2008/2009 when Miami condos were really cheap, I was thinking about buying one for investment. Kind of glad now I didn't.
Its value would have shot up by 5x-10x, you should've bought it (unless you bought cryptocurrency instead; can't blame you there).

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 2:44 PM

Quote:
I tried to convince my parents to do that. I still wish they had.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
It's really a failure of the condo association to reserve funds for the necessary repairs. 30 years is not an old building and a few million is not a huge monthly expense when shared by hundreds of homeowners and spread out over a number of years. My 23-floor condo building is now 110 years old and is in great shape with low HOA fees and decent reserves.
This and deferred maintenance will be hotly debated topics in the future! If proper reserves are put away each month by each owner over a thirty year period, there should be enough to make needed repairs as the building ages. However, that almost never happens (at least in Florida) and the reserves are left artificially low to reduce upfront HOA fees, leading to a special assessment decades later.

There really needs to be state government oversight in this area as the individual condo boards may not be making the right decisions when it comes to maintaining adequate reserves for major structural repairs that are bound to happen.

I've heard a Florida saying about cockroaches recently. For every one you see, there is a whole bunch hidden somewhere nearby; there is never just one. I think this applies to the older condo towers in Florida too. There may be a whole bunch of Chapman towers out there in need of emergency repairs that the condo associations are just delaying or downplaying the seriousness of the defects to keep assessments low. I bet the calls for structural engineering services went though the roof as it was a wake up call for worried condo owners and responsible condo associations that had lingering thoughts about the structural integrity of their aging building.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
Miami seems more prone to these building collapses it seems. maybe it has to do with all those anti-regulation governments they always elect.
As an Architect, I can tell you Miami has one of the toughest regulations in the nation. There's tons of bureaucracy and strict codes when submitting for permit. Things changed dramatically after Hurricane Andrew in the 90s.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
As an Architect, I can tell you Miami has one of the toughest regulations in the nation. There's tons of bureaucracy and strict codes when submitting for permit. Things changed dramatically after Hurricane Andrew in the 90s.
That's for new construction or rehabilitation. What about the pre-Andrew buildings with deferred maintenance? It seems like there is much less oversight in this area hence Chapman.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
That's for new construction or rehabilitation. What about the pre-Andrew buildings with deferred maintenance? It seems like there is much less oversight in this area hence Chapman.
That is a mess. However, Miami isn't alone. How many building collapses have there been in other cities? I know NYC has had a few.

Also please note that there are dozens of building departments in the Miami Metro. The City of Miami is tiny. Technically when you say Miami, that would not include Surfside where the collapse happened.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
That is a mess. However, Miami isn't alone. How many building collapses have there been in other cities? I know NYC has had a few.

Also please note that there are dozens of building departments in the Miami Metro. The City of Miami is tiny. Technically when you say Miami, that would not include Surfside where the collapse happened.
Isn't this regulated by Miami-Dade County? So it would be the same authority regulating Surfside and Miami City?

Re: NYC, I don't think NYC has ever had a collapse of this magnitude (9/11 excluded). The building collapses that have occurred in the past decade or so have been caused by external events.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions