HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
Again, I did not say that there is nothing over 3 floors being built. I quoted myself above, please re-read and try to piece the meaning of the words together.

Barely means scarcely. Scarcely means rarely.
Even this seems wrong. I doubt there's much of any residential construction in L.A. right now that isn't multi-tenant (except for rich people doing teardown/rebuilds on already developed lots), and a good chunk of that will be structures that are 4+ stories.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Even this seems wrong. I doubt there's much of any residential construction in L.A. right now that isn't multi-tenant (except for rich people doing teardown/rebuilds on already developed lots), and a good chunk of that will be structures that are 4+ stories.
3 floors is the same thing 4 floors. 3 floors plus the ground floor. As I've pointed out before in previous threads, English isn't my first language and in most of the world when you refer to a buildings height, it's the height above the ground floor.

But at the end of the day, it doesn't even make a difference. People will interpret however they want.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 8:49 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
I also think we will continue to see the degradation of some former middle class suburban areas and they will continue to get more run-down, even if more dense. You can already see the original suburban decline happening in most California cities. You definitely have it in the NY metro region too, lots of places in Suburban Long Island are looking like sh*t.
Can you point out which cities you see this occurring in?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Again, I did not say that there is nothing over 3 floors being built. I quoted myself above, please re-read and try to piece the meaning of the words together.

Barely means scarcely. Scarcely means rarely.

Maybe you're not very observant, since you're saying the opposite of everyone else.
Anyway...

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 10:24 PM
Never Dell

If you want to diss the West Coast vernacular (or the lowrise vernacular in general), isn't something like six stories more typical? It is in my city...or sometimes 7-8, which can also be mostly woodframe.

It's a significant difference. Six stories can be pretty dense if it's not Dallas doughnuts.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
If you want to diss the West Coast vernacular (or the lowrise vernacular in general), isn't something like six stories more typical? It is in my city...or sometimes 7-8, which can also be mostly woodframe.

It's a significant difference. Six stories can be pretty dense if it's not Dallas doughnuts.
A lot of them are 5-6 stories here due to local building codes:

Quote:
The Los Angeles Building Code (LABC) which is based on the California Building Code, allows a wood frame apartment building, with properly rated fire walls and fire sprinklers, up to 5 stories and 65 feet high. In addition, this type of building can be built over a one story Type I building as long as the overall building is not more than six stories and 75 feet high. In the past decade, many buildings have been built with this type of construction. Wood-frame buildings should not be allowed to exceed the aforementioned limits.
http://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/...12-05-2016.pdf

It's the highest you can build and still keep things affordable, and the priority right now is to build affordable rentals, not luxury condo towers (high end housing is mostly SFH here anyway).

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 10:42 PM
Never Dell

That sounds like five levels of wood, which can be over a concrete base. So six stories and probably even 7. In the latter you can make each floor 9.5' or so and cram in some two-story loft units at the top or bottom. If it's at the bottom, some spaces can be taller retail.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
That sounds like five levels of wood, which can be over a concrete base. So six stories and probably even 7. In the latter you can make each floor 9.5' or so and cram in some two-story loft units at the top or bottom. If it's at the bottom, some spaces can be taller retail.
Yeah I'm sure there are workarounds to get it to 7 or 8 floors. In the previous example in North Hollywood: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1638...7i16384!8i8192 you can clearly see two levels of reinforced concrete (including a high ceiling retail level) followed by five levels of wood frame.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 11:31 PM

It's mostly 5 to 7 imo.

But some places on the Westside are going to 8 now.
It's not Chicago or NYC, but I think most people would be surprised how much these complexes are adding up.

No idea what bossabreezes is saying, pre covid, the new housing was definitely making a change on the street level.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions