HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
you can always get something more tasteful for less money, such as this early 20th century charmer (and you even get a small yard):

$1,525,000
4326 N Winchester Ave, Chicago, IL
6 be d |5 bath | 4,500 sqft

zillow link: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...70224316_zpid/

Oh yes, this is a much nicer one. And I realize that these Chicago SFHs also have basements, so this really is more bang for your buck. 1.5+ million, wow, that's a bargain for so much house.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 12:20 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
1.5+ million, wow, that's a bargain for so much house.
Uh oh!

You just used a no-no word.... do you know what you've done?

You have just unknowingly summoned "The Crawford".

It will be pouncing upon your post in 5... 4... 3... 2...

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 2:27 AM
devout Pizzatarian

This thread has been mostly focusing on upper bracket stuff, which can certainly be fun to ogle, but I'm actually more interested in "regular people" real estate.

Here's a pretty nice 2 bed | 2 bath | 1,200 SF condo in a beautiful vintage 12-unit corner apartment building at the end of our block that just came onto the market a couple of days ago.

No parking, but it's only a 2 minute walk to the local el stop and two major CTA bus lines, and a 5 minute walk to the retail heart of Lincoln Square, so car-free would not be out of the question.

$345,000
2502 W Eastwood #2W, Chicago, IL
2 bed | 2 bath | 1,200 SF

Zillow link: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...73729015_zpid/

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jul 23, 2021 at 5:41 PM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 2:46 AM

That is indeed nice.

Quote:
This thread has been mostly focusing on upper bracket stuff, which can certainly be fun to ogle, but I'm actually more interested in "regular people" real estate.
I'm actually more interested in "regular people" real estate too, but most of the "regular" stuff that I was posting in my area, or at least stuff that I THINK should be regular, is way overpriced; I kinda wanted to show the ridiculousness of the real estate prices where I live. The mansion stuff can be interesting to look at, but rich folk will be living like rich folk, of course they'll have big crap (with varying degrees of taste, but of course taste is subjective). I didn't want to glorify their abodes, but I wanted to show the ridiculousness of what their homes cost.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 3:43 AM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Speaking of new construction, check out Shia LaBeouf's new Pasadena home, built in 2019 but he bought it in 2020.

From velvetropes.com:

4 bedrooms • 5 bathrooms • 4137 sq/ft
Price: 5.5M (sold in 2020)
Valued: 5.5M

Edit: Actually according to Zillow, it's worth about $6.607 million right now.

Link: https://www.velvetropes.com/celebrit...3/shia-labeouf

It's near Caltech; I know the address, and you can look it up, but I won't disclose it. I've driven by the house, it's in a very nice neighborhood. Meryl Streep and Kristen Wiig also have nice homes in Pasadena (mid-Century ones); I've never seen them around town, though, so maybe they just own the properties and don't actually live here. I think Oscar de la Hoya still lives in Pasadena, I used to see him around Old Town Pasadena, I've even seen him inside Burke Williams.
This literally looks like a house youd find in Piedmont. I wonder if your area and my area were developed around the same time?

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 6:13 PM

Here's another listing in my area, from Deasy Penner Podley Realty.

495 CALIFORNIA TERRACE
PASADENA, CA

$2,500,000
4beds | 4baths | 3,667sqft | 9,988sf lot

Needs a bit of TLC, per the website.

Link: http://www.495californiaterrace.com/...Eww96ws0wkFbbw

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 6:56 PM

Great street and very cool house

Old Posted Aug 1, 2021, 12:23 AM
BANNED

Just 90 minutes north of Phoenix, you'll find this gem in Sedona for a very reasonable listing price of $1.6. Adobe style, with Saltillo tiles and vistas to the moon!

Elevation near 4,500 feet, moderate climate, near state parks and national forests.

Quote:
Sedona home on market for $1.6 million is the perfect city escape
RUDY RIVAS

A Sedona home with a southwest essence is now on the market for $1.6 million. Inside the two bedroom, three bathroom house you will find American Clay Walls and custom wood doors. The property includes two full suites, office, great room and 3.5 bay garage. This home is perfect to enjoy the red rocks with plenty of outdoor space with courtyards and outdoor amenities. For more information about this property contact Jacque Weems and Jolynn Greenfield with Russ Lyon Sotheby's International Realty.

Bedroom/Bathroom: 2/3

Square feet: 3,100

Price: $1,600,000
https://www.azfamily.com/lifestyle/p...k_id=997197#50

^Click^ for a slideshow!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2021, 5:32 PM
devout Pizzatarian

more "regular people" real estate fresh on the market in my neighborhood. here's what $200K can get you in Lincoln Square:

$200,000
2510 W Leland Ave #3, Chicago, IL 60625
1 bed | 1 bath | ? sqft

zillow link: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...63692908_zpid/

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 1, 2021 at 8:11 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2021, 7:19 PM
life is good

^^^ beautiful home/bldg!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2021, 7:23 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ the building is dime a dozen for Chicago, but for a smaller unit, I do like how bright and airy it feels with those giant windows in the living and dining rooms. Big windows can help make smaller spaces feel bigger.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2021, 7:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
more "regular people" real estate fresh on the market in my neighborhood. here's what $200K can get you:

$200,000
1 bed | 1 bath | ? sqft

Nice and clean, somewhat updated kitchen area, reasonable HOA at $332. Hard to tell the size, I didn't see the square footage listed, but from the pictures, it seems spacious for a 1 bed/bath, although the bedroom looks pretty small.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 8:48 PM

Another illustration of nutty prices

$10+ million home sales in Miami-Dade
2nd quarter 2019: 5
2nd quarter 2020: 5
2nd quarter 2021: 51

$10+ million condo sales in Miami-Dade:
2nd quarter 2019: 3
2nd quarter 2020: 4
2nd quarter 2021: 28

https://www.miamitodaynews.com/2021/...august-5-2021/

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 9:47 PM

Quote:
more "regular people" real estate fresh on the market in my neighborhood. here's what $200K can get you in Lincoln Square:

$200,000
1 bed | 1 bath | ? sqft

Geez Louise Chicago is just crazy cheap. Low end, high end; it’s all super affordable

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 10:27 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
Geez Louise Chicago is just crazy cheap. Low end, high end; it’s all super affordable
Yep. It's the quintessential low barrier/low ceiling urban housing market in the nation.

People from the expensive coastal markets often look at it with shock, but as Crawford always points out, Chicago real estate might be comparatively very inexpensive, but it also ain't gonna make you rich either.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Yep. It's the quintessential low barrier/low ceiling urban housing market in the nation.

People from the expensive coastal markets often look at it with shock, but as Crawford always points out, Chicago real estate might be comparatively very inexpensive, but it also ain't gonna make you rich either.

One thing life has taught me, ‘you never know’. And even if Crawford is right, getting rich is overrated. Better to be around family. Add in affordability within a world class city and that seems like a pretty damn good deal to me.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 3:16 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
One thing life has taught me, ‘you never know’. And even if Crawford is right, getting rich is overrated. Better to be around family. Add in affordability within a world class city and that seems like a pretty damn good deal to me.
For sure.

There are certainly much worse problems to have than not getting stupid filthy rich from real estate.

But for home owners in those hot markets where property values perpetually increase 20%+ YOY for decades without end, I can also see how one might get addicted to that juice.

But as a consummate "regular guy", my cheap old Chicago couldn't ever possibly be more sweet home for me. I live like a king here, and I really have no right to it.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 5, 2021 at 3:42 AM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 5:14 PM
devout Pizzatarian

today was the first time in i don't even know how long that i checked zillow and saw that their "Zestimate" for our home has actually dropped ever so slightly.

it was a very minor drop from last month (only $700), and it's certainly a million miles from being definitive of our home's actual value, but it's the trend reversal that i find interesting.

after month after month after month of ever-climbing values, perhaps this is the first sign that the hot housing market is finally starting to plateau a bit around here.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 12:31 PM
BANNED

$160,000,000 will get you 22 acres on the Southern California coast, near Santa Barbara, if it sells for the listing price, it would be the most expensive home sold in California.
(King of the Earth Bezos holds the current record at $165 million when he bought his palace/home).

What a bargain!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-retir...nd-11629141340

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 5:33 PM

Ah yes, on Padaro Lane, near Loon Point Beach.

You can't see the house(s) from the street, but I think that's the point. You want your privacy (and security): https://www.google.com/maps/@34.4148...4!8i8192?hl=en

~ Charles Bukowski

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions