HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
My wife flew from IAH to Sydney. What a horrible flight. Longest I've been was IAH to Tokyo and that was hellacious.
My first long flights were in 1978 when I was just out of college - Houston IAH to London Gatwick, and return flight. British Caledonian. Both were in fully booked, cramped 707's. The smoke was awful. Filled the cabin so badly you could hardly breathe. On the trip over, there was suddenly a humming noise that was of concern to passengers. The FA's were rude about it, possibly because they were concerned as well. It was about 8 hours going over, and 10 coming back due to headwinds. It was dreadful.

Only slightly better was Newark to Rome and the return trip on Continental DC-10's in the year 2000. These flights were full, and although the flight going over was during the night, there were a lot of people who seemed to be partying, and kept everyone else awake. Coming back, there were lines at the restrooms (back when lines were allowed), and were made worse by clogged toilets.

My American Airlines flight DFW-Honolulu and return in 2006 was long but reasonably comfortable (767) even though completely full.

I love aviation (obviously from my ID), but I hate the flying experience on commercial aircraft. It just gets worse and worse.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
My first long flights were in 1978 when I was just out of college - Houston IAH to London Gatwick, and return flight. British Caledonian. Both were in fully booked, cramped 707's. The smoke was awful. Filled the cabin so badly you could hardly breathe. On the trip over, there was suddenly a humming noise that was of concern to passengers. The FA's were rude about it, possibly because they were concerned as well. It was about 8 hours going over, and 10 coming back due to headwinds. It was dreadful.

Only slightly better was Newark to Rome and the return trip on Continental DC-10's in the year 2000. These flights were full, and although the flight going over was during the night, there were a lot of people who seemed to be partying, and kept everyone else awake. Coming back, there were lines at the restrooms (back when lines were allowed), and were made worse by clogged toilets.

My American Airlines flight DFW-Honolulu and return in 2006 was long but reasonably comfortable (767) even though completely full.

I love aviation (obviously from my ID), but I hate the flying experience on commercial aircraft. It just gets worse and worse.
I thought passengers had more room on long-haul flights than they do now. It was before my time, but that's always the general impression that I had.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions