HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 10:43 PM

^ The Amazon HQ2 bidding war comes to mind in that regard. How did that end up working out, anyway?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 10:52 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ The Amazon HQ2 bidding war comes to mind in that regard. How did that end up working out, anyway?
That was what I was referencing. Last I heard they had selected two winners (Northern Virginia and Queens), with the Queens location subsequently being cancelled due to grassroots campaigns rallying against it. The two locations combined for something like over $2B in grants and tax breaks. Gross.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 2:33 AM
recession proof

I noticed that North Vancouver is the Tesla capital of Canada: they're everywhere! Meanwhile on Vancouver Island people are hanging on to their 90s ICE cars. Same for the Prairies. Only when you enter the 905/519 do Teslas appear frequently.

St Thomas or even Windsor area makes sense.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
St Thomas or even Windsor area makes sense.
Windsor would be the obvious choice but there are currently issues regarding supplying enough baseload electricity to handle new industrial/greenhouse developments in Essex County. The current hot button issue is that LG Chem might not be able to be built alongside the LG/Stellantis battery plant until the issue is solved (looking at 2025-ish), so it’s possible that a Tesla factory would be off the table in the meantime.

I think St. Thomas is probably the prime candidate in Ontario since the land is already assembled and the baseload power supply is there.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 6:29 PM

Well, that's not good!

Tesla’s self-driving technology fails to detect children in the road, tests find
Professional test driver using Tesla’s Full Self-Driving mode repeatedly hit a child-sized mannequin in its path
Edward Helmore
Tue 9 Aug 2022

A safe-technology advocacy group issued claimed on Tuesday that Tesla’s full self-driving software represents a potentially lethal threat to child pedestrians, the latest in a series of claims and investigations into the technology to hit the world’s leading electric carmaker.

According to a safety test conducted by the Dawn Project, the latest version of Tesla Full Self-Driving (FSD) Beta software repeatedly hit a stationary, child-sized mannequin in its path. The claims that the technology apparently has trouble recognizing children form part of an ad campaign urging the public to pressure Congress to ban Tesla’s auto-driving technology....

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...afety-children

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 6:33 PM

I'm sure this has been discussed before but how well do electric vehicles perform in the dead of winter?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I'm sure this has been discussed before but how well do electric vehicles perform in the dead of winter?
range decreases. It's part of physics, no way around it, but EVs do things like heating the batteries to minimize it (of course, heating it takes energy still so it still reduces range, but it mitigates the issue).

That may be an issue if you have a short-range EV, but honestly the way EVs are moving with 500+km ranges, it won't be a significant issue.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 6:41 PM

Looking to buy a new car. First car since living in the city, so it's been about 20 years since I've owned a car. I really want a jeep but I am considering an electric vehicle. The problem is Toronto isn't rolling out charging stations on residential streets fast enough. I can only picture one location about a km from my place.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Looking to buy a new car. First car since living in the city, so it's been about 20 years since I've owned a car. I really want a jeep but I am considering an electric vehicle. The problem is Toronto isn't rolling out charging stations on residential streets fast enough. I can only picture one location about a km from my place.
What about this:
https://www.jeep.ca/en/wrangler-4xe

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post

that's pretty kick ass. I'll have to research it a bit. I also have my eyes on a Bronco too.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 3:34 PM

Quote:
I take it you don't have your own parking space, either in a garage, carport, or dedicated spot?

Even household plug charging works for a lot of people in their daily commutes. Workplace charging, or charging at somewhere else you frequent regularly can help too.

Plugshare is a great app that can help show you what's out there.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 3:58 PM

There are many condos for sale in Toronto that come with Tesla chargers installed right in your parking spot! Im seeing this more and more now. I showed 3 condos in the last month which had the Tesla chargers installed. So basically you get free charging (65KM per hour) right in your parking spot. Can't go wrong with that!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
There are many condos for sale in Toronto that come with Tesla chargers installed right in your parking spot! Im seeing this more and more now. I showed 3 condos in the last month which had the Tesla chargers installed. So basically you get free charging (65KM per hour) right in your parking spot. Can't go wrong with that!
Are they connected to the unit's electricity meter?

We are trying to frame a big installation of EV charging capabilities as a selling feature and an increase to property values.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 5:01 PM

Based on what I've seen on the road lately, can we just spare a moment to send thoughts and prayers to everyone who sacrificed their dignity bought a Prius Prime as gas prices went up.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Based on what I've seen on the road lately, can we just spare a moment to send thoughts and prayers to everyone who sacrificed their dignity bought a Prius Prime as gas prices went up.
Why? What's wrong with it?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 5:31 PM

Quote:
And what do you drive, pray tell?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 5:43 PM
recession proof

I wouldn't buy a Jeep or Bronco - unreliable.

There's dozens of new electric vehicles coming within the next 24 months. Someone's bound to come out with something more affordable.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 5:55 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
I wouldn't buy a Jeep or Bronco - unreliable.

There's dozens of new electric vehicles coming within the next 24 months. Someone's bound to come out with something more affordable.
The VW ID4 is pretty cheap. The base price just dropped, although it's got less range now too.

Quote:
US-built 2023 VW ID.4 starts lower at $37,495, under $30k after credits
Jameson Dow
- Aug. 4th 2022 12:55 pm PT

The 2023 VW ID.4 is getting a new lower-priced configuration as VW’s Chattanooga, Tennessee, plant comes online to produce a smaller-battery, US-made model.

The 2023 ID.4 starts at almost $4k less than last year’s model, which started at $41,230. But it’s not really a price drop – this is due to a new battery size being introduced. The current “Pro” battery size is 82kWh, which gives an EPA-estimated range of 275 miles. Next year’s model is getting a smaller 62kWh “Standard” trim with 208 miles of EPA-estimated range.

In fact, the 82kWh Pro model is getting a price bump for next year, now starting at $42,495. So while prices are going up on the larger battery, the entry-level model is now more affordable.
https://electrek.co/2022/08/04/2023-...%20%2441%2C230.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 5:59 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Why? What's wrong with it?
PHEVs like the RAV4 Prime are actually very popular right now. They're a nice in between for those not ready or able to go full BEV just yet. You can get some of the performance benefits of EV, and with the gas engine there, you can keep driving even when your charge runs out. Most of them have good enough range for the daily commute on just battery power alone that you rarely need to fire up the gas engine too. With the gas engine, they'd be able to go on long road trips without needing to stop and recharge.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
PHEVs like the RAV4 Prime are actually very popular right now. They're a nice in between for those not ready or able to go full BEV just yet. You can get some of the performance benefits of EV, and with the gas engine there, you can keep driving even when your charge runs out. Most of them have good enough range for the daily commute on just battery power alone that you rarely need to fire up the gas engine too. With the gas engine, they'd be able to go on long road trips without needing to stop and recharge.
Some people don't need the extra range, though. My second car is a sedan that I bought in 2016. It never leaves Winnipeg... I take my SUV when I hit the highway. When I eventually replace it (which probably won't be for a while given that I just cracked 55,000 km on it), an EV would be a prime candidate given the short distances I typically drive with it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada