HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
All while witnessing the replacement of traffic lights at Clarence and Pembina today with the southbound reconstruction of Pembina between McGillivray and Chevrier, I noticed that they have installed the base for the new traffic control box in the northwest corner of the intersection, directly north across the street from the existing one right on the corner of Stella's Cafe.
Location where it's less likely to get demolished due to a collision.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 4:30 PM

It's mid July and lines STILL haven't been painted on sections of major routes like Portage and Ness!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
It's mid July and lines STILL haven't been painted on sections of major routes like Portage and Ness!
In a normal year it takes the 1 lane liner truck the city owns 24 weeks to complete all the line painting. If there is a lot of rain on the off hours when major line painting is scheduled then the schedule slips.

Intersections (stop lines etc) are done by separate crews with walk behind sprayers and that takes 8 -10 weeks to complete

I have always wondered why the city does not own a second lane liner or contract out some of the work with some the private line marking companies in Manitoba?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 2:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Wait, you actually think Winnipeg is a properly functioning city?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Provincial roads haven't been any better. PR206 south of #1 was only painted last week.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2022, 5:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
) provide conceptual design options for the potential conversion of the following oneway streets into two-way streets:
(i) Edmonton Street (NB) and Kennedy Street (SB) between Portage and Main
Street;
(ii) Hargrave Street (NB) and Carlton Street/Ellen Street (SB) between William
Avenue and Broadway;
(iii) James Avenue (EB) and Rupert Avenue (WB) between Main Street and
Princess Street; and
(iv) Up to two other streets to be determine

D8. FUNCTIONAL DESIGN FOR DOWNTOWN BIKE ROUTES
D8.1 A Key Direction and priority of the Winnipeg Pedestrian and Cycling Strategies (PCS) is to
develop a network of cycling infrastructure in the Downtown and to provide high quality
connections to Downtown from each area of the City. PCS Map 4.6 presents the network of
proposed routes in the Downtown. The following key routes of this network will be considered in
this functional design study:
(a) Fort Street (generally from Assiniboine Avenue to Notre Dame Avenue);
(b) Graham Avenue (generally from William Stephenson Way to Vaughan Street);
(c) Sir William Stephenson Way at Isreal Asper Way (Continue the planned constructed multiuse path along the south side of William Stephenson Way from this intersection to the halfsignal at the Candian Museum for Human Rights, connection to the shared sidewalk on the
north side of the Provencher Bridge and existing shared sidewalk on Waterfront Drive to
the north including incorporating cycling crossings at Israel Asper Way);
from https://winnipeg.ca/finance/findata/...3-2021_RFP.pdf

Old Posted Jul 24, 2022, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyeyed View Post
Yuck how pitiful.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2022, 9:58 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Wait, you actually think Winnipeg is a properly functioning city?
Just in case you haven't already dropped a tirade on facebook already, here's something to get your blood boiling some more, Sipowicz.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/construc...hway-1.5998443

Old Posted Jul 24, 2022, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
Yuck how pitiful.
I agree it's not revolutionary stuff, but converting some of the downtown one-ways to two-way streets will have a pretty good ROI. If the City can improve walkability and bikeability on the cheap, then good on them.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 4:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Just in case you haven't already dropped a tirade on facebook already, here's something to get your blood boiling some more, Sipowicz.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/construc...hway-1.5998443
Actually I’m all in favour of multi-use AT pathways because they get used and a lot unlike bike lanes hacked into downtown streets which cater solely to white 30-50 males who tuck their right pant leg into their socks!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Actually I’m all in favour of multi-use AT pathways because they get used and a lot unlike bike lanes hacked into downtown streets which cater solely to white 30-50 males who tuck their right pant leg into their socks!
Because everyone else just rides on the sidewalks forcing pedestrians to dodge them, and the wrong way on one ways.

I'm trying to understand your stance here. Should people just not cycle downtown at all? Or just not safely? Because this is what it sounds like based on your posts.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 12:50 AM

Skimming through the Road Safety Strategic Action Plan, I'm pleased to see some support for implementing pedestrian scrambles and leading pedestrian intervals in the city. Excellent news, I think. Both are dirt cheap ways of making not-driving more pleasant and less dangerous.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 4:44 PM

I took a drive along kenaston southbound mcgilvray to scurfield. So instead of spending the money and fixing the concrete base and diamond grinding the concrete surface, in Winnipeg fashion they lay a cheap layer of asphalt that will crumble before the year ends…

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 7:16 PM

Do they paint lines on the roads anymore? We are past the halfway point of summer.

I just drove down southbound Kenaston near the airport and there is that stretch of road where the street widens from 3 lanes to 4 lanes. No painted lines to be seen anywhere. If I was from out of town driving this stretch of road, I might be confused as to which lane I am supposed to be driving.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Do they paint lines on the roads anymore? We are past the halfway point of summer.

I just drove down southbound Kenaston near the airport and there is that stretch of road where the street widens from 3 lanes to 4 lanes. No painted lines to be seen anywhere. If I was from out of town driving this stretch of road, I might be confused as to which lane I am supposed to be driving.
Yeah, what's up with that? Did the severe winter cause a bigger backlog than usual?

Also, I've always wondered if there's a more permanent means of marking lanes. Could you dye the concrete itself? The acrylic paint gets scraped off pretty quickly.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 8:04 PM

Maybe the price of paint wasn't in the budget? My concrete driveway sealer went up from about $150 a 5 gallon can to just under $400.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 4:17 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Gonna call it now, but it's gonna be supply chain issues, among many other things.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
Yeah, what's up with that? Did the severe winter cause a bigger backlog than usual?

Also, I've always wondered if there's a more permanent means of marking lanes. Could you dye the concrete itself? The acrylic paint gets scraped off pretty quickly.
There are vinyl stick-on stripes that more affluent cities use. In fact I believe that's what was used on the Disraeli overpasses project. It's been many years since that installation, and the stripes still look good every spring. You are probably wondering how they don't get scraped off by snowplows in winter. Well if you go for drive on Disraeli you will notice that the concrete has had grooves etched slightly below the road surface to accommodate the stripes. Therefore the stripes are protected from the snowplows. I have not seen this type of thing done on any other street renewals in the city. Sure it's expense, but as Disraeli demonstrates, money is saved in the long term and road safety is higher.

See the Overlay & Groove Application video on this page for a demonstration of the installation:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/road-saf...road-markings/

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 5:50 PM

^ Thanks for the answer!

I would love see wider use of these. Any notion of how long the break-even period is vs typical paint? I'm always a fan of ideas that can shrink the City's operating costs. And besides money, we don't mark lanes just for the fun of it. They're a safety feature that isn't doing its job if it isn't visible.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 6:15 PM

Quote:
There are vinyl stick-on stripes that more affluent cities use. In fact I believe that's what was used on the Disraeli overpasses project. It's been many years since that installation, and the stripes still look good every spring. You are probably wondering how they don't get scraped off by snowplows in winter. Well if you go for drive on Disraeli you will notice that the concrete has had grooves etched slightly below the road surface to accommodate the stripes. Therefore the stripes are protected from the snowplows. I have not seen this type of thing done on any other street renewals in the city. Sure it's expense, but as Disraeli demonstrates, money is saved in the long term and road safety is higher.

See the Overlay & Groove Application video on this page for a demonstration of the installation:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/road-saf...road-markings/
This was also done in the intersection of Sterling Lyon and Kenaston for the left-turn lane lines when it was built. They have repainted them since, so they don't last forever, but better than just paint. Painting lines through intersections is brutal for lane closures, so the expense was likely justified.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan