HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 8:08 PM

I was thinking about how it's pretty wild McGillin’s and McSorley's were open before the civil war. I decided to google oldest irish bars in the US, and well it turns out they are actually the oldest Irish pubs still open in America. Along with Kelly's in Wilmington, DE. I have been to the 3 oldest (at least according to this website's list).

8 of the Oldest Irish Pubs in America That Are Still Open for Business

Also, Nashville Hot Chicken and the Chopped Cheese are made up social media nonsense. The Cheesesteak and Italian Beef are century-old symbols of the influential culinary heritage of Chicago and Philadelphia

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 8:33 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Also, Nashville Hot Chicken and the Chopped Cheese are made up social media nonsense. The Cheesesteak and Italian Beef are century-old symbols of the influential culinary heritage of Chicago and Philadelphia
Totally... Instagram was certainly the reason why I frequented Prince's Hot Chicken Shack as a kid with my uncle in the late eighties.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Chopped cheeses are bodega food (same for the bacon, egg, and cheese). I don't know if I'd call them "social media nonsense" but I also don't think the sandwich style is that unique to NYC. If you watched the TV show Roseanne in the 90s then you'd recognize that sandwich that Roseanne and her sister sold in their diner is basically a "chopped cheese".

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Totally... Instagram was certainly the reason why I frequented Prince's Hot Chicken Shack as a kid with my uncle in the late eighties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Chopped cheeses are bodega food (same for the bacon, egg, and cheese). I don't know if I'd call them "social media nonsense" but I also don't think the sandwich style is that unique to NYC. If you watched the TV show Roseanne in the 90s then you'd recognize that sandwich that Roseanne and her sister sold in their diner is basically a "chopped cheese".
Just to be clear I was kidding lol, and have no doubt locals have a much deeper understanding of the origins of the foods. I have seen Prince's a few times on the Food Network and definitely would like to try it some day.

I absolutely despise food gatekeeping. The dumbest thing Philadelphia people do is make fun of someone for going to a touristy cheesesteak place and then follow up by naming another tourist place as their favorite smh lol.. Like who cares in the first place. Philadelphia has a lot of cheesesteak places and often the best one is the one that is convenient to you.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 11:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:

I absolutely despise food gatekeeping.
It's so dumb.

But then again, so are people.

As I posted awhile ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
whenever tourists "discover" something, there usually seems to be some degree of inauthenticity push-back from the locals.

"oh, you really liked food item X you had at that downtown restaurant when you visited my city? well, let me tell you, the REAL stuff is actually served out of a food cart hidden in a sewer culvert under an alley in a neighborhood so obscure that no one even knows its name. i could take you there, but i won't."

people can get awfully stupid about this kinda stuff.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 3, 2022 at 1:38 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
As I posted awhile ago:
"I could take you there, but I won't"

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 11:56 PM
Future God

Quote:
Just to be clear I was kidding lol
Sorry, I picked up on that and was playing along, I just forgot the all important emoji. Haha

Quote:
I absolutely despise food gatekeeping. The dumbest thing Philadelphia people do is make fun of someone for going to a touristy cheesesteak place and then follow up by naming another tourist place as their favorite smh lol.. Like who cares in the first place. Philadelphia has a lot of cheesesteak places and often the best one is the one that is convenient to you.
I couldn't agree more!

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 10:17 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Haha yeah it varies of course but it can definitely get up there in the Scoville department! The real deal original Nashville hot chicken actually wasn't in sandwich form (not that it can't or shouldn't be, just saying that's a more recent phenomenon.) Also as far as the heat goes it typically has not just Cayenne in the breading, but is also dipped at the end in a hot chili oil almost akin to something you'd find in Szechuan cuisine or something. That crucial step is often omitted. But anyway, glad you enjoyed it... I don't have hot chicken all that often these days... as I get older I find my tongue's spice tolerance stays the same but my gut's spice tolerance has cratered lol... but sometimes I definitely have to go tame the craving.
Yes the server mentioned the hot chili oil, twice!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 1:27 AM
E pluribus unum

To steal from the people who nitpick using the word champagne if it's not from that region of France, its not a Philly cheesesteak outside of the Delaware Valley, it's just a sandwich with beef, cheese and onions.

Or whatever is on a cheesesteak. Ditto Cincinnati Chili, outside the Tri-State its just a Macedonian bolognese sauce topping over spaghetti noodles.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 2:18 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
I was thinking about how it's pretty wild McGillin’s and McSorley's were open before the civil war. I decided to google oldest irish bars in the US, and well it turns out they are actually the oldest Irish pubs still open in America. Along with Kelly's in Wilmington, DE. I have been to the 3 oldest (at least according to this website's list).

8 of the Oldest Irish Pubs in America That Are Still Open for Business

don't forget johnny boys and city chicken for cleveland, because everyone else has lol.

cool link i wondered about that.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 2:46 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Interesting. It does still appear that the densest county is at the southeast corner, though. Also wonder what the individual populations of the counties were back then?
native missourian here. my mom is from a southeast mo city that is majority black with a small white overclass to this day…was mainly swamp during the antebellum era but like much of the south the civil war didnt materially change much for poor black americans (especially after reconstruction broke down) and arguably as the swamps were drained into
the 20th century the situation advanced as if the civil war never happened. they tried to emulate the large plantations downriver.

the slave corridor from stl to kc was mainly smallholders from kentucky and virginia with one to a few slaves (still SLAVES) working alongside the smallholders, but few large plantations except for a few places (like St. Louis County).

my ancestors moved to Missouri near St. Louis with one slave and he took our last name. I think his descendants live in Minnesota and a guy has my same first and last name now which is an old family name.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 2:55 AM

not irish pub talk sorry

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 3:18 AM

U.S. Grant who is venerated in St. Louis and by the Busch family with the amusement park here who torched the south had a slave, too. Sherman is buried here lol.

I guess I’d also apocalyptically burn down the south if i changed my mind after having a slave to try to get into heaven.

Last edited by Centropolis; Aug 5, 2022 at 3:39 AM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 4:52 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

for ohio the crows nest in cinci has 15yrs on it, but the oldest irish bar today in cleveland is the flat iron cafe in the flats, which dates from 1910 as an irish bar.

crows nest cinci

of course the 'ol flat iron has its history too, the building is older and there was a previous tavern in it prior to a fire which knocked out a few floors and probably earned it its new name and irish proprietors. its a nice place, as is the crow of course, and down between bridges the flat iron remains as quintessential a cleveland bar/tavern as could be.

https://www.flatironcafe.com/history.html

the flat iron before it cleaned up & after

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 3:43 AM

Kind of off topic, but I saw this meme on Facebook and literally LOL'd:

For reals!

And then I saw this review for a place in Echo Park that I shall not name; but I find this review and response to be soooo LA, and kinda funny:

I guess sometimes NYC things foisted on SoCal people with discerning tastes don't fly.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 4:56 AM
Future God

You go to London, you get a pie and mash. Once. Perhaps at Goddards. THEN from then on out you get Indian, and Jamaican, and West African food exclusively. London is a food lovers paradise, so long as you love the food that it's a paradise for. I went to get tacos in East London... forget the name of the place because I was hammered... but I do remember that the tacos came with ketchup packets, and I'm not even fucking joking.

And yes, I'm saying this as if I've been there more than once, which I have not. Definitely the five beers I've already had on my 40th birthday night talking... although I feel like it's not altogether inaccurate advice!

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post

the flat iron before it cleaned up & after

That elaborate sign sort-of reminds me of that Lucky's Stout House sign in Columbus. I just looked it up and was shocked to see that the bar has been torn down but the sign remains, or at least did on the day Google drove by:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9922...7i16384!8i8192

I remember going in there in 2007 and the owner going on a long animated diatribe about how he had to go back-and-forth with "the city" for years to get that sign approved.

https://www.thelantern.com/2021/07/l...t-development/

It appears that the Bier Stube is safe for now, but unless it's landmarked that'll be the next to go.

The thing that was amazing about the Stube was that there were at least 4-5 full-sized satellite dishes on the roof. Those big ones you used to see back in the 80s all the time next to mobile homes in West Virginia. There was like no room for anything on that roof given the cluster of dishes. Now I look and see all it has is an old-school antenna: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9924...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 2:44 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
That elaborate sign sort-of reminds me of that Lucky's Stout House sign in Columbus. I just looked it up and was shocked to see that the bar has been torn down but the sign remains, or at least did on the day Google drove by:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9922...7i16384!8i8192

I remember going in there in 2007 and the owner going on a long animated diatribe about how he had to go back-and-forth with "the city" for years to get that sign approved.

https://www.thelantern.com/2021/07/l...t-development/

It appears that the Bier Stube is safe for now, but unless it's landmarked that'll be the next to go.

The thing that was amazing about the Stube was that there were at least 4-5 full-sized satellite dishes on the roof. Those big ones you used to see back in the 80s all the time next to mobile homes in West Virginia. There was like no room for anything on that roof given the cluster of dishes. Now I look and see all it has is an old-school antenna: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9924...7i16384!8i8192

oh noos.
please dont tell me the bier stube is in danger.
ugh.
i mean what next, the out-r-inn?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 3:00 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

And then I saw this review for a place in Echo Park that I shall not name; but I find this review and response to be soooo LA, and kinda funny:

I guess sometimes NYC things foisted on SoCal people with discerning tastes don't fly.

meh, more like they dont get it or respect history by trying to ape it elsewhere. and you can bet they didnt also appropriate the getting two drafts when you order schtick.

but speaking of old school bar bites, another one you don't see anymore since all the authentic old man bars have been bought out, gentrified and yuppied up across america, is the jar of pickled eggs on the bar. it was a good thing, but no seems to be bringing that back anymore.

well, upon some digging, a handful places do it i guess, like this syracuse joint.

https://www.syracuse.com/entertainme...d_gizzard.html

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
oh noos.
please dont tell me the bier stube is in danger.
ugh.
i mean what next, the out-r-inn?

When I lived there there was a bar north of Campus called Miani's. Its unusual feature was a back patio incorporated into an old ATM drive-thru. The place is now called Ace of Cups. The ATM drive-thru is still there:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0154...7i16384!8i8192

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions