HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 4:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Wouldn't be an issue if they played in Canada, but they can't have that.

]
In theory you're absolutely right. In practice? Not entirely convinced of that.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 4:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
They are nameless at this point.

SFU Athletics are a study in absurdity. They play in the NCAA (where their football team is a punching bag with 3 measly wins in the last 5 years, but that's another story), ]
That's interesting. I've been hearing about SFU players in the CFL for decades, so I always assumed that they had a pretty strong program. Though admittedly I've never known anything about their won-lost record until now.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 4:18 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Western (along with Laval) has arguably the most storied and successful football program in Canada. For years I was an academic advisor for the team. Coach Marshall has done a fantastic job for the team he once starred on. (Mustangs).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Mustangs_football

Quote:
With their first full season in 1929, the Western Mustangs are one of the most decorated football teams in Canadian university history. The team has had the most Vanier Cup national championship appearances, having made it to the title game 15 times (most recently in 2021).[1] The Mustangs have won eight Vanier Cups, second only to the Laval Rouge et Or. The Mustangs have also won the Yates Cup conference championship 33 times in team history; more than any other Canadian University.
Quote:
There have been three former Western Mustang team members who have participated in the NFL Draft:[3] John Priestner (Baltimore Colts, 1979), Tyrone Williams (Phoenix Cardinals, 1992) and Vaughn Martin (San Diego Chargers, 2009).

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 4:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Western (along with Laval) has arguably the most storied and successful football program in Canada. For years I was an academic advisor for the team. Coach Marshall has done a fantastic job for the team he once starred on. (Mustangs).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Mustangs_football
Hey, that's pretty neat. I would have loved to play a role like that had I worked for a university.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 4:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Hey, that's pretty neat. I would have loved to play a role like that had I worked for a university.
yeah, I got free tickets (4) for each home game.

My job was to help students balance their (intense) need to commit to the team (training, travel) and to maintain a superior academic record. Some juggling was involved (e.g., exam period, when the team was on a championship roll).

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 6:03 PM

Quote:
And so, what was decided for the sports team name?
The so inspiring "SFU Athletics"

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 6:09 PM
The Vomit Bag.

SFU to me means Shut the fuck up.

And also it beckons SNFU.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 6:23 PM

Quote:
They are nameless at this point.

SFU Athletics are a study in absurdity. They play in the NCAA (where their football team is a punching bag with 3 measly wins in the last 5 years, but that's another story), and of course the fact that they do that means that they had to change their innocuous name because of the connotations it holds down there. Wouldn't be an issue if they played in Canada, but they can't have that.

And while they won't play in Canada, they will wrap themselves in their Canadian identity. It's pathetic. "Canada's NCAA Team"
It is weird. When I was a student there in the 90s there were in the NAIA, which is another US group but a tier down from NCAA.

I don't think the "The Clansman" or "The Clanswomen" would be at all offensive in a Canadian context.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 10:11 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
This. I don’t know why Rousseau (and a few others) seem so constantly outraged when this happens to the same guy over and over again. It’s literally one of the oldest and hardest rules in online forums and has almost always resulted in an instaban. If anything SSP is far more lenient than most online platforms when it comes to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
My point is this: Ryerson had an opportunity to rebrand itself here. It had a whole nation and history of choices it could have chose from to do so. Distinctive choices, interesting choices, hell, even weird choices. Choices that would have set it apart from the preexisting universities in the area.

Instead, it took the bland pablum route; a name that could be confused with the other major university of the city.
Do people get Boston College and Boston University confused? Texas Tech and Texas? Etc. Nothingburger.

Haven't seen any other suggested names that get the point across better than Metropolitan, and anecdotally every graduate I either know personally or publicly approve of the new name.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 7:19 PM

Carleton University in Ottawa, from Harley613.

[IMG][QUOTE=Harley613;9685706]

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 3:48 PM

Video on the nee Faculty of Health Sciences at uOttawa's Lees Campus, one O-Train stop away from the main campus. Includes a few exterior and interior renderings.

Video Link

Construction is progressing well. Amazing how fast a building can go up when it doesn't have underground parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post

Not much in the way of details yet but the bones are certainly there.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 6:47 PM

Université de Moncton to appoint officials to study potential name change

Vanessa Moreau · CBC News · Posted: Apr 16, 2023 10:34 AM EDT | Last Updated: April 16

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...unce-1.6811933

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Université de Moncton to appoint officials to study potential name change

Vanessa Moreau · CBC News · Posted: Apr 16, 2023 10:34 AM EDT | Last Updated: April 16

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...unce-1.6811933
I'm not at all surprised. Is 850 people "a lot"? Boy, I feel tired. Anyone else just starting to check out and go "meh, whatever"? Would anyone in their right mind EVER propose naming anything after any specific person or group ever again?

2103: "A new poll indicates that many are in favour of renaming 'Université du Sud-est du Nouveau-Brunswick' due to the name having ties to King George III, the original Duke of Brunswick..."

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 7:46 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashe View Post
I'm not at all surprised. Is 850 people "a lot"? Boy, I feel tired. Anyone else just starting to check out and go "meh, whatever"? Would anyone in their right mind EVER propose naming anything after any specific person or group ever again?

2103: "A new poll indicates that many are in favour of renaming 'Université du Sud-est du Nouveau-Brunswick' due to the name having ties to King George III, the original Duke of Brunswick..."

I was on the "meh, whatever" train from the beginning. Lots of things change from time to time and while it might cost a bit of time and money, if it only happens once every 60 years or so, it's not a much of problem.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 8:43 PM

I think that for uMoncton, it's more about claiming the francophone identity than "wokeism". It's not like anyone is asking Moncton change it's name (for now). I'm in support of the name change.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 8:48 PM

Quote:
That's interesting. I've been hearing about SFU players in the CFL for decades, so I always assumed that they had a pretty strong program. Though admittedly I've never known anything about their won-lost record until now.
About to come to an end. SFU has decided to shutdown its football program.

The students are in court to try to get a court order forcing them to continue the program.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 8:53 PM

They should sell naming rights to Irving or Mccain.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 9:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
They should sell naming rights to Irving or Mccain.
They would both be considered as anglophone oppressors. Je pense pas!!!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 5:45 PM

New Health Sciences Building at uOttawa Lees campus, one O-Train stop from the main Downtown campus.

Video Link

Side note, we visited Kingston late last week. Queen's is a beautiful campus. That classic campus you'd see in movies, TV shows and cartoons. Very impressive. uOttawa doesn't compare to a lot of other Canadian University campuses as most of its growth was during the 60s and 70s brutalist era.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 8:52 PM

Maybe we should restart naming our universities/colleges and streets to 1 to 1,000,000 in order not to hurt anybody's feelings. I would say A to Z but that would upset people who don't use a European language.

Just tell these bleeding hearts they we are not going to change our streets, schools etc or tear down our statues to accommodate their insecurities. These people desperately need to get a life or therapy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada