HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 4:28 PM
Never Dell

Of course I over-generalized.

Most people play games. My mom plays word games for example. But games with controllers trend heavily toward kids and young men. And the really big players tend to be people with lots of free time.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 4:30 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Of course I over-generalized.

Most people play games. My mom plays word games for example. But games with controllers trend heavily toward kids and young men. And the really big players tend to be people with lots of free time.
You're doing that thing where you're over-generalizing again. Everyone plays video games, similar to how everyone watches TV or movies. You're projecting your own feelings on the industry by saying they're primarily made of shut-ins.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 4:49 PM
A Man In Dandism

Back when Pokemon Go was in its heyday, I saw plenty of multigenerational families playing it together.

"Yo, we're already in! You got 15 seconds left!"

Niantic, btw was started up and is still based in SF.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 4:51 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
Do you realize how stupid this comment is? How old are you? 60s? Almost everyone plays games these days, yes including entire families.
He's probably referring to actual gamers, not someone playing Candy Crush on their iPad. Most true gamers are a certain type. That said, I was recently approached by a recruiter for a huge gaming company and obviously business is going very well.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 6:27 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
You're doing that thing where you're over-generalizing again. Everyone plays video games, similar to how everyone watches TV or movies. You're projecting your own feelings on the industry by saying they're primarily made of shut-ins.
Which of these is wrong?

1. Games with controllers trend heavily toward kids and young men. (Maybe I should specify combat games, Madden, etc.)

2. The really big players tend to be people with lots of free time.

Where did you see anything about shut-ins? It's best to reply to that post directly.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 6:55 PM

I agree with mhays. Sure, it’s an over-generalization, but there’s truth to it.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Some interesting articles about the video game industry jobs in Montreal and the generous tax subsidies used to lure them

https://montrealgazette.com/business...utm_att1=money

More detail here . Seems part of montreals success is that time-honored Canadian tradition , using tax subsidies to lure entertainment industry workers from other locales . The downside of course is that that discussion of cancellation of the subsidy leads to threats that companies leave

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2...of-video-games

Meanwhile details on the American video game clusters are below

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301186182.html
Maybe the US should increase it's corporate tax rate to match Canada's and maybe we wouldn't give out subsidies then.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 7:49 PM

The majority of video games are designed to appeal to the "hunter" instincts in males, which involves exploring and travelling afar and killing and violence and getting trophies. But there are also games that are designed to appeal to the "gatherer" instincts in females, which is more about foundation, staying in one place, building a home, growth and resource management. In truth, a lot of games are a mix of both, but even those overall lean more to the "hunter" side than the "gatherer" side of humanity.

Examples of "hunter" games include Doom, Contra, Metroid, The Legend of Zelda, Might and Magic, Grand Theft Auto, Ikaruga, Samurai Shodown. Examples of "gatherer" games include SimCity, Animal Crossing, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Harvest Moon.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Which of these is wrong?

1. Games with controllers trend heavily toward kids and young men. (Maybe I should specify combat games, Madden, etc.)

2. The really big players tend to be people with lots of free time.

Where did you see anything about shut-ins? It's best to reply to that post directly.
you are pretty out of touch if you think young men are the vast majority of gamers

The average gamer is 34 years old, owns a house, and has children.
45% of gamers in the US are women.

https://techjury.net/blog/video-game...%20items...%20

for console specifically more women than men were gamers

https://www.polygon.com/2015/11/4/96...ers-statistics

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 7:54 PM
Never Dell

Did you not read my post? I said nothing of the sort.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Did you not read my post? I said nothing of the sort.
Well you are wrong if you think more console owners are men when women owner more

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 8:20 PM
Never Dell

That's been reported, but widely debated...how many are really for the family, not personal.

In any case, I was talking about volume of play, not ownership. Maybe I wasn't clear.

And per my last post, I'm thinking mostly certain types of games like combat and Madden.

The industry pumps out a lot of stats for PR purposes, and per my original post is really pushing the family-togetherness point. They don't seem to break out game types by combat/sports/etc., though that would be simple to to...I imagine they've done this but the numbers don't help them.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions