HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 3:48 AM

I live and work in the area, and every night when I don't get a ride home I pass by this area. I hope the Planning Board doesn't get the willies on this... the retail and parkland would be absolutely wonderful for the area. We need the light rail connection, and right now these renderings look better than the vast majority of projects going on in the area, INCLUDING New York. Love what it does spreading the skyline out away from just downtown/waterfront and Journal Square clear across to the West Side. With redevelopment, I'm sure a few more high rises would be in the pipeline. As also midrises, which one already, a 15 story, 170 ft tower on Route 440 across from the current Hudson Mall was just approved. Hopefully it encourages the development at nearby Bayfront to go higher too. Critical though would be sewerage improvements as flooding occurs in significant rainfall. A significant part of Route 440 will be converted to a boulevard, and the area could become incredibly transformed and very livable, with plenty of retail, restaurants and parkland. Hopefully, at least 15% can be designated for affordable housing. Anyway, hope this transformative process for the neighborhood starts coming together starting in the next year or so.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 4:09 AM

With how many dense megadevelopments planned for Jersey City, it's entirely possible Hudson County could reach 1 million residents in a decade or two

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
With how many dense megadevelopments planned for Jersey City, it's entirely possible Hudson County could reach 1 million residents in a decade or two
Funnily enough, the site in Pilsen is 7.2 acres. We'd never get something this bold.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 3:24 PM

This is a very cool proposal. Love the density and light rail component.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 3:52 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

This looks a lot like many of the suburban Toronto developments built around mass transit. In a very, very good way. Not a huge fan of the various colors at the base as it has the potential age poorly, but otherwise this is pretty amazeballs.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Very wishful thinking. It seems possible based off of Jersey City’s spectacular growth, but the majority of Hudson County is not seeing such an impressive boom. Plus the NY metro has been slowing and I doubt we’ll see such strong growth for the foreseeable future with WFH.

One thing I will say though is many, many people are moving to JC from other boroughs simply because JC doesn’t have the same problems that the rest of NYC has. It’s also turned into something special and has a different vibe than any NYC borough.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 2:23 AM

Great update!

Interesting that the light rail will be elevated with a park under.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
Very wishful thinking. It seems possible based off of Jersey City’s spectacular growth, but the majority of Hudson County is not seeing such an impressive boom. Plus the NY metro has been slowing and I doubt we’ll see such strong growth for the foreseeable future with WFH.

One thing I will say though is many, many people are moving to JC from other boroughs simply because JC doesn’t have the same problems that the rest of NYC has. It’s also turned into something special and has a different vibe than any NYC borough.
That's not accurate. Hudson County grew by 90,000 people in the last decade to 724,854. Jersey City accounted for half of the growth in raw terms, but some of the smaller communities like Harrison and Hoboken knocked it out of the park. Not bad for a fully urbanized county with very little space for infill. Does it hit a million? That would equate to 21,650 people per square mile. More than San Francisco but less than New York City and ironically around the same ballpark of the densities already existing in many of the Hudson County cities below.

Growth from 2010 to 2020 census, percentage

Harrison 42.8%
Weehawken 37%
Secaucus 34.6%
Hoboken 20.8%
Jersey City 18.1%
Hudson County 14.3%
Bayonne 13.7%
East Newark 7.8%
Guttenberg 7.5%
West New York 6.4%
North Bergen 4.3%
Kearny 3.2%
Union City 3.2%

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 3:24 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I really hope Newark accelerates. There is so much potential. It's unfortunate considering the last 10 years have been anemic for Essex County in general COMPARED to Hudson County. Some city defining projects slated to rise for Newark but I do hope it booms on the level of JC one day. A ton of potential. Really for urban NJ in general. And it has the culture/diversity to back it up as a world class city (just needs to be bigger IMO).

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 10:27 AM

I love it!! Not bad to see this where zoning only calls for 12 floor buildings. They were able to exceed that due to the density bonus for allowing the light rail through the middle of the property.

https://thewestsidecrossing.com/

I also wanted to share that 35 Cottage Ave is getting a design change: A new application that adds two lots to the project. Lot 19 was previously approved development pursuant to P18-096. This is a new application because the number of residential units has increased more than 20%. The new application include increasing the unit count from 329 units to 576 units; reconfigures the interior floor space and uses, which also include retail/commercial uses; a synagogue/house of worship; assembly space; a pre-school and banquet hall space. The project now also opens up along the Homestead Plaza extension.

I can't keep up with all the homestead properties, but there must be over 3,000 units being proposed by Namdar group alone.

For reference, the three Journal Squared towers have 2,000 units. What's even more crazy, it looks like they only have 4 units available for lease, with the lowest being $3,935 for a 2 bedroom apartment. Absolutely insane what is happening to Journal Squared. Man oh man was I getting a steal on the sub $900 rent for my crappy one bedroom. Who the hell can afford $4,000 a month in rent?!?!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 10:35 AM

One more thought about Westside Crossing...

The light rail stop will be across the street in Bayfront, a little less than a thousand feet but riders will need to cross the unforgiving Rt. 440. I almost wonder if it makes sense to have a light rail stop at Westside Crossing too, giving residents direct access. It would be a major selling point. The demand exist due to the 3,000 units being added plus it will give another option for existing residents that living closer to Rt 440 than the West Side stop. Then again, that would be 3 stops a little over half a mile so probably overkill.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 10:45 AM

May we have the thread title updated? We should get height in feet soon.

JERSEY CITY | West Side Crossing (3000 Units) | 30, 39, 55 & 56 FLOORS

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 11:37 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Updated.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 2:09 PM
Show me the blueprints

The West Side branch of the HBLR should be a heavy rail PATH line extended to Newark Penn and connecting with the red and yellow service near where the I-78 viaduct passes over between JS and Grove St. Offering direct one-seat service to Manhattan.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
The West Side branch of the HBLR should be a heavy rail PATH line extended to Newark Penn and connecting with the red and yellow service near where the I-78 viaduct passes over between JS and Grove St. Offering direct one-seat service to Manhattan.
That would be awesome! There is also going to be a need for another trans-Hudson tunnel because the current ones will soon be at capacity. The pandemic did buy some time and the transition to 9/10 trains will help, but it's inevitable as the region continues to grow.

Long term plan for the HBLR is to extend it over the Hackensack River to South Kearny, then across the Passaic River into the Ironbound then to Newark Penn Station. In theory, it can then even merge with the Newark City Subway\Light Rail. What would be cool but never going to happen is if the light rail tunneled into Manhattan, avoiding the need to transfer to PATH. Ridership would soar!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 9:28 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Phase One of Jersey City’s 3,000-Unit Westview Development Heads to Planning Board

Quote:
A project that would radically transform Jersey City’s West Side by adding high-rise residences, retail, amenities, and greenery to mostly vacant parcels along the Hackensack River could soon take a big step forward.

Ideas have been in the works to revitalize about 8.29 acres of land along Route 440 for several years. Jersey Digs has been following plans for the parcels, which span Water Street, Mallory Avenue, and Culver Avenue.

Brooklyn-based Bushburg Properties currently owns the land, portions of which will be home to an extension of the Hudson Bergen Light Rail system. That endeavor, currently under construction, will see 3,700 new feet of elevated trackage and a new rail station at the city’s Bayfront project, a reality that is worked into Bushburg’s sky-high redevelopment.

Jersey Digs had the exclusive reveal of the project back in February, which has since been rebranded as Westview per a recently launched website. The entire buildout includes 3,079 residential units split between four buildings, which have all been designed by Hoboken-based Marchetto Higgins Stieve.

The submitted plan looks to subdivide the parcels and realign several rights-of-way regarding the Light Rail extension. The first phase, set to rise at 80 Water Street on the northernmost end of the property, consists of a 30-story tower that includes 473 residential units and 344 garage parking spaces.

256 spaces for bicycles are included in the first portion, as is 11,600-square feet of ground-floor retail space plus a 4,600-square foot linear park. The initial phase is set to feature a pool on the rooftop of the parking garage component and utilize aluminum panels on the exterior for an industrial look.
===================
Jersey Digs

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 1:06 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Jersey City Planning Board votes down 3,079-unit, 4-tower proposal at 80 Water St.

Quote:
The Jersey City Planning Board denied a three-phase project at 80 Water St., which would’ve include 3,079 units and four towers, largely due to the fact that had not solidified an agreement with NJ Transit for a proposed Hudson-Bergen Light Rail extension.

The first phase called for a 30-story tower with 473 units, with the second phase seeking two towers: one with 38 stories and another with 55 for a combined 1,567 units, and then finally a third phase with a 55-story tower with 1,039 units for a total of 3,079.

“Our client is redeveloping this property … which has been vacate for some time,” attorney Jennifer Mazawey said.

She said in 2013, the city created the Route 440 Culver Redevelopment Plan, which describes taking large industrial blocks and making a pedestrian-friendly grid.

Mazawey said they would donate property to NJ Transit to develop the light rail, which was first announced in March 2020.

“55 percent of the property is actually given back for park and green infrastructure: There have been extensive discussions and meetings with the community over the last two past years … This is a variance-free application,” she added.

Since no variances were being requested, there would be no trigger for the Inclusionary Zoning Ordinance provision mandating affordable housing.

[...]

“There’s an option or right for NJ Transit to take the property. The bonuses for which are clients are seeking are similarly related to phase II,” Mazawey replied, reiterating that they’re still sorting out the details

Commissioner Joey Torres said if the light rail weren’t built, it would harm many projects in the area.

She said the plan would be finalized in a separate board approval for Phase II and III, including light rail details.

During the public portion, many community activists came out against the measure before the board.

“West View is a complicated project,” Lincoln Park North Association President Kayla Burrell said during the public comment period, claiming that the project burdens the area and has no affordable units, and therefore, they did not support it.

“I’ve been sent here to oppose this project. The board is spot on getting the developer certified by the JCRA. This is a project built on wishes, hopes, and dreams,” West Side Station Condo Association Treasurer Troy Shuman said.

Ward B Councilwoman Mira Prinz-Arey joined them in coming out the development.

“The residents that have spoken have made compelling points. Without having this RDA in place … community bonuses that are coming at the end are concerning. I’m lending my voice to yours in opposition to the subdivision,” she said.

“They’re in conversation with NJ Transit. But they cannot provide that document because that document doesn’t exist. If that’s an issue for the board, it’s an issue for the board,” Alampi said in summation.

Langston said that he didn’t think they were in compliance with the redevelopment plan without a clear cut agreement with NJ Transit, to which Alampi said that NJ Transit currently doesn’t have a dedicated lot, either.

“Without the set aside for the light rail plan, I don’t think they’re complying with the redevelopment plan,” Langston said.

Ultimately, Gonzalez made a motion to deny, which Gangadin seconded.

“I haven’t been comfortable since the beginning of the presentation when I found out the RDA was not in place,” Gonzalez said.

“It’s too much of a chance right now that we have nothing in place,” Torres indicated, to which Gangadin also agreed.

The project was voted down 6-1, with Lipski voting against.

Alampi then said the site plan application could not go forward without the first approval, so a motion to dismiss site plan approval for all three phases was approved unanimously (7-0).
=======================
https://hudsoncountyview.com/jersey-...t-80-water-st/

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 2:51 PM
Show me the blueprints

This is what happens when government doesn't build transit to facilitate development - instead burdening development to facilitate transit.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 1:39 AM

Even the most inept transit agencies should be jumping at the chance to commit to this extension. It would be barely even a mile long, and has potentially 10,000 units primed to go up directly on top of the line. Can't for the life of me understand why there isn't more movement from NJT here.

Also the renders for this project seem to show the rail line curving southward. IS there a reason for this, or how it ties into Bayfront? Seems like you would want to keep it aligned on it's existing ROW to not rule out future extensions.

Last edited by Doubleu1117; Mar 17, 2023 at 2:59 AM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 11:29 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Westview Looks to Lead Development Along Jersey City’s West Side

Quote:
Called Westview, the project is led by Bushburg, a developer that specializes in transformative projects in emerging markets. With extensive experience in adaptive reuse projects throughout New York, New Jersey, and Florida, Bushburg is confident in their ability to turn this former industrial area into Westview – a multi-phase development project featuring three mixed-use, high-rise structures harmoniously blending commerce and residential living.

Designed by MHS Architecture, one of the area’s most prominent firms, Westview is planned in three phases and benefits from diverse zoning as the property encompasses High-Rise and Mid-Rise B Zones allowing for a mix of structures, densities, and uses. Once fully completed, Westview will feature over 3,000 residential units, nearly 130k sq. ft. of retail space, and 120k sq. ft. of park space. Plans also include roughly 2,000 vehicle parking spaces as well as 1,695 bicycle parking spots.

In addition to MHS Architecture and Dresdner Robin, Bushburg is working with GRID Real Estate as a redevelopment advisor and tapped Genova Burns for their legal needs. A project of this scope requires not just the vision of the development team but also the support of both the community and elected officials.
======================
Jersey Digs

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals