HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 8:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
Unlike others who just believe covid is dangerous I provide charts stats and facts proving otherwise but i'm sure that won't sway some of you, you'll just dig your heels in deeper:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ekly/index.htm
In the under 50 age group,
There have been 29,249 Covid deaths out of 497,036 total deaths over the same period of time.

Ages 0-17, 349 total Covid deaths out of 51,892 total deaths in the age group.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Unlike others who just believe covid is dangerous I provide charts, stats and facts proving otherwise but i'm sure that won't sway some of you, you'll just dig your heels in deeper:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ekly/index.htm
Ridiculous. You are merely pointing to the same data the rest of us see and declaring that your controversial conclusion--absent any supporting premises whatsoever--is somehow proven true. That is not how any of this works in the real world.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 9:11 PM
The City

Quote:
I never said covid is make believe, it's clearly real, it's just not dangerous

So all you understand is the death toll?
I argue with the Left, I argue with the Right

It's the same idiocy. You just think that repeating something over and over makes you correct

Enjoy your lunacy

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 9:51 PM

My dad has an anti-vaxxer working for him, he just got a text that she is in the emergency room with COVID. He and my mom have plane tickets to visit my sister and her family in Europe in two weeks (they haven't seen my niece and nephew in almost two years...)

Here's hoping Pfizer holds up... would be pretty pissed for them if this woman's selfishness cost them the trip.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
My dad has an anti-vaxxer working for him, he just got a text that she is in the emergency room with COVID.
Best place for her. And depending on where she lives, she may be there a while because hospitals are running out of inpatient beds and keeping people in ERs for days now.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 2:43 AM

I wonder if this mobile vaccine is being implemented to other countries. Watching the news globally, most of the people are going in a certain vaccination site. There's also a long que and will even take them about 4 hours before getting vaccinated.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 4:06 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Well, my parents flew into Chicago this weekend, first time seeing them in almost 2 years (last time was Thanksiving 2019--I went to Pole for the winter holidays that year and then COVID happened). Life in Chicago is normal enough that we had enough to do (though we did avoid eating inside and wore masks indoors everywhere). My zip code appears to be ~97% vaccinated, but most people on the street don't live here.

AMnd today Canada opened its borders to vaccinated Americans, so we rented a car and drove to Hamilton to meet up with my sister who lives in Montreal and had a baby about 8 weeks ago, who we finally got to meet. It was a bit dramatic getting the COVID test results before the border crossing (the test has to be within 72 hours... but it was actually kind of hard to find a test appointment that wasn't too inconvient, and then they didn't send us the results until like 2 hours before we reached Port Huron which was a bit stressful).

Last edited by SIGSEGV; Aug 10, 2021 at 4:20 AM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
It was a bit dramatic getting the COVID test results before the border crossing (the test has to be within 72 hours... but it was actually kind of hard to find a test appointment that wasn't too inconvient, and then they didn't send us the results until like 2 hours before we reached Port Huron which was a bit stressful).
Regarding testing, I recently needed a test after I was informed I had been exposed during a hospital visit and I found them much harder to get now than 6 months ago or last year. A lot of test sites have closed for lack of demand because people who are vaccinated aren’t running off to get a test at every sniffle.

In order to be prepared if I ever needed a test in the future, I found my neighborhood CVS now selling do-it-yourself antigen test kits made by Abbot Labs for, as I recall, about $23 for 2 tests and I bought 2 kits (enough for 4 tests). I assume these home tests wouldn’t work for an official purpose like border crossing but it’ll be nice to just be able to test myself if I ever get flu-like symptoms or find out about an exposure in the future. No need to search the internet for a convenient testing site or take the time to go get in line. And you get your result in 15 minutes.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Austin, Texas, activates emergency alert system as COVID crisis reaches "critical" point
Rebecca Falconer
Sun, August 8, 2021, 6:22 PM·1 min read

Austin, Texas, issued an emergency alert this weekend over the "severely worsening COVID-19 situation," which has reached a "critical" point, officials said.

Why it matters: The Warn Central Texas alert system was designed to be activated during a disaster. "Our hospitals are severely stressed and there is little we can do to alleviate their burden with the surging cases," Austin-Travis County Health Authority's Desmar Walkes said in a statement.

"The public has to act now and help our we will face a catastrophe in our community that could have been avoided."

"Hospital bed availability and critical care is extremely limited in our hospital systems, not just for COVID-19 patients, but for anyone who may need treatment," Walkes added. "The community has to come together again and stave off disaster."

The big picture: The alert, sent via text message, phone call and email to City of Austin and Travis County residents on Saturday, comes as the Delta variant drives a spike in COVID-19 cases across Texas.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) issued a state-wide ban on mask and vaccine mandates on July 29, saying "the path forward relies on personal responsibility."

On the same day, he blocked the ground transportation of undocumented migrants detained by Customs Border Patrol, citing the surge in coronavirus cases as the basis for that order.
https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/...1&guccounter=1

According to national news shows tonight Austin had 6 available ICU beds in the city.

In a related matter, I saw one forecast tonight that if conditions in Florida don't improve in the next 6 days, which everyone agrees is unlikely, the state's hospital systems will "collapse". Seems a little dramatic but they are clearly having it hard and I've guessed the delta wave won't likely peak until mid to late August as far as hospitalizations go (this is not just my idea but consistent with what Scott Gottlieb and other independent "experts" who show up on TV news a lot are also saying).

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 8:15 AM

What does that even mean? Waiting lists go up to not quite normal NHS England times?

Just prioritise anyone else in critical or serious condition over unvaccinated Covid patients. Get to them when and if you get to them. Easiest triage ever.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 9:58 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Masks are being reinstated at my job as of today. They never went away at my husband's job, and we both work in medical clinics. I've noticed a slow, but steady rise in the number of patients wearing them, and they've started to appear on the faces of shoppers at various stores whereas before, only the workers were wearing them.

I guess this means I should trim my beard for a better fit.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 11:59 AM
The City

Masks never stopped being mandated at my job

I still don’t wear a mask at indoor establishments because, well, it’s a public health measure and let the unvaccinated idiots get Covid, I don’t care.

My 12 year old got his first Pfizer shot yesterday

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 12:59 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Playing around with some maps. Delta spread very very fast with respect to transmission.

Note the dates.

And as of today.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 1:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Masks are being reinstated at my job as of today. They never went away at my husband's job, and we both work in medical clinics. I've noticed a slow, but steady rise in the number of patients wearing them, and they've started to appear on the faces of shoppers at various stores whereas before, only the workers were wearing them.

I guess this means I should trim my beard for a better fit.
My personal preference for facial hair, mask wearing comfort was about 4 days of growth. The face covering gets stuck on the stubble from a 5 o'clock shadow or second day of growth. A full beard is annoying and too hot to have to wear something over it, especially in summer and if you're a hypochondriac, beards + masks do little of anything at preventing a virus from entering or exiting your body.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 1:11 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelback View Post
My personal preference for facial hair, mask wearing comfort was about 4 days of growth. The face covering gets stuck on the stubble from a 5 o'clock shadow or second day of growth. A full beard is annoying and too hot to have to wear something over it, especially in summer and if you're a hypochondriac, beards + masks do little of anything at preventing a virus from entering your body.
I'm vaccinated, and I'm wearing a mask because the people who pay my salary are telling me to wear a mask. Unfortunately, I also like to rock a good Czar Nicholas II beard and mustache, which I will need to trim. I put my mask on today and it was like trying to stuff too large a tit into too small a bra cup.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 2:28 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Regarding testing, I recently needed a test after I was informed I had been exposed during a hospital visit and I found them much harder to get now than 6 months ago or last year. A lot of test sites have closed for lack of demand because people who are vaccinated aren’t running off to get a test at every sniffle.

In order to be prepared if I ever needed a test in the future, I found my neighborhood CVS now selling do-it-yourself antigen test kits made by Abbot Labs for, as I recall, about $23 for 2 tests and I bought 2 kits (enough for 4 tests). I assume these home tests wouldn’t work for an official purpose like border crossing but it’ll be nice to just be able to test myself if I ever get flu-like symptoms or find out about an exposure in the future. No need to search the internet for a convenient testing site or take the time to go get in line. And you get your result in 15 minutes.
I took one of those at home tests in Greenland before coming back to the US (though since I flew via ANG, nobody checked). You are on camera the whole time which was kinda strange but overall it was easy (except everyone was doing it at the same time and the internet in the NSF dorm couldn't handle that very well). It was silly since I had just gotten off from 5 weeks on the ice with no pax flights in the intervening time so there was no vector for transmission.

We didn't to for it this time since we weren't sure it would be acceptable to Canada.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 2:58 PM

Delta seems to be getting close to burning itself out where it first became commonplace - in Missouri and Arkansas. In both states the rate of growth began slowing over the last two weeks, and cases seem to have finally peaked. Which suggests most states will experience rapid growth for around 4-6 weeks, at which point cases will subside. Basically because it runs out of unvaccinated hosts who interact with lots of people.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 3:03 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Delta seems to be getting close to burning itself out where it first became commonplace - in Missouri and Arkansas. In both states the rate of growth began slowing over the last two weeks, and cases seem to have finally peaked. Which suggests most states will experience rapid growth for around 4-6 weeks, at which point cases will subside. Basically because it runs out of unvaccinated hosts who interact with lots of people.
^ I have a rather unique window into what's going on with the unvaccinated, as I speak to many of them.

A good proportion of the population, perhaps 30%, are rigid in their stance and we aren't going to change their minds.

Our best hope for nationwide "community" immunity is to just allow the virus to spread through that population so that they will have immunity as well. They are digging their own grave but hey, not much more that we can do.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I have a rather unique window into what's going on with the unvaccinated, as I speak to many of them.

A good proportion of the population, perhaps 30%, are rigid in their stance and we aren't going to change their minds.

Our best hope for nationwide "community" immunity is to just allow the virus to spread through that population so that they will have immunity as well. They are digging their own grave but hey, not much more that we can do.
I mostly agree, but I really, really wish that vaccines were available for kids right now so I could totally not give a fuck and advocate "letting it rip."

That said, it appears even among children parents being vaccinated alone massively reduces their risk of contracting COVID.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 3:17 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I mostly agree, but I really, really wish that vaccines were available for kids right now so I could totally not give a fuck and advocate "letting it rip."

That said, it appears even among children parents being vaccinated alone massively reduces their risk of contracting COVID.
Yes, I agree. As I stated above, my 12 year old had his birthday 3 days ago and we got him his 1st Pfizer shot yesterday.

My other son is only 10, though, and I'm hoping vaccinations become approved for him so that we can get him innoculated.

Once that happens, screw everybody else

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions