HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 11:46 PM

Previous posts have touched on some of Toronto's largest urban developments, including the Lower Don Lands Redevelopment (Portlands), a new commercial core in East Harbour, Humber Bay's massive make-over on the former Christie Bakery lands, The Eglinton and Yonge growing skyline (and large developments farther east of Yonge), and the enormous vertical transformation underway in suburban Mississauga.

Focus On Etobicoke - another future ‘downtown’ urban node west of the core.

New Civic Centre - Winning Design - Henning Larsen, Adamson Associates, and PMA

Link

UT

UT

UT

UT

UT

Site (downtown in the distance, Humber Bay skyline on the right)

Jules

Pinnacle Master-planned development: 138m, 132m, 126.5 m, 117m, 108m, 102m, 97m, 91m, 85m - designed by Turner Fleischer Architects

The first phase of Pinnacle International’s huge 9 building residential, office and retail development is under construction.

UT

UT

Link

Concert’s “The Kip District” - 117.5m, 115m, 90m, 76m, 62m - 39, 37, 28, 24, 20 storeys - under construction

UT

UT

Tridel has a number of projects in the works in Etobicoke.

EdenBridge Kingsway

Link

Link

Westerly

Link

More residential, commercial and mixed use developments are expected to start in 2021 in the Civic Centre neighbourhood, however given this a major urban node, there is some criticism about the lack of height/density proposed by CreateTO, which is a city agency (essentially this is City Planning in charge).

UT

UT

Some other Civic Centre submissions (winning design is Henning Larsen posted above)

KPMB Architects and West 8

UT
Moriyama & Teshima, MJMA Architects, and Forrec

UT
Diamond Schmitt, Michael Van Valkenberg Associates

UT

SCARBOROUGH:
Agincourt Mall Redevelopment - (pre-construction) a proposed residential and mixed-use development with 12 buildings up to 143m tall. Designed by Giannone Petricone Associates.

UT

UT

UT

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
SCARBOROUGH:
Agincourt Mall Redevelopment - (pre-construction) a proposed residential and mixed-use development with 12 buildings up to 143m tall. Designed by Giannone Petricone Associates.

UT

UT

UT
This one is pretty wild to me. It is only about 1.5 miles down Sheppard from my Uncle's former dairy farm. It was located between Brimley and McCowan, where Asiancourt and Canadian Tire are today. I used to visit the farm as a kid less than 50 years ago. My Uncle used to hay the Scarborough Civic Center land 0.5 miles to the south before it was built.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
This one is pretty wild to me. It is only about 1.5 miles down Sheppard from my Uncle's former dairy farm. It was located between Brimley and McCowan, where Asiancourt and Canadian Tire are today. I used to visit the farm as a kid less than 50 years ago. My Uncle used to hay the Scarborough Civic Center land 0.5 miles to the south before it was built.
Well since we already named a waterfront park after you, I see no reason the Landscape Architects can't pay tribute to your uncle's dairy and hay heritage.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 5:25 PM

80 Bloor Street West - 260m + (?)240m(?) - 78s + 76s - Krugarand - designed by Giannone Petricone - approved

An odd way to learn about “approval” of a major downtown development: This proposal was opposed by the City and headed to an LPAT (formerly the OMB) hearing.
Yesterday, news leaked in a neighbourhood association newsletter, that “City Council approved the developer’s application" more than 2 months ago.

No final renders (see elevations below) have been released but the approved submission contained some highlights:
- the taller west tower features a pattern of glass that reads as a "patchwork", breaking up the scale of the tower.
- the easterly tower is clad in clear glass curtain-wall, articulated by deep horizontal sills at all floor slabs.
- the podium would be clad with an undulating pleated glass curtain-wall wrapping the edges of the public park.
- expansion of the Yorkville Village Park

elevations

UT
site plan

UT

steveve - elevations

steveve

Aerial (the tallest left of centre is 1200 Bay (324m - 87s), with the 2 towers of 80 Bloor West practically “glued” to it from this pov. A total of 241 floors proposed on a relatively small footprint.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2bb14d04_k.jpg

The One - 309m - 85s - Mizrahi Developments - Foster + Partners - under construction
I just discovered that my brother-in-law, who works at Walters Group in Stoney Creek (Ontario), didn’t mention they were fabricating steel (like the connectors below) for the tallest building in Canada… even
though he knows I’m a skyscraper geek (coal in his stocking this Christmas ;-)

Fortunately a forum member who lives near the plant is stalking deliveries like these “octopus-ish” connectors ready for transport.

macro

Benito

Toronto skyline: for skyscraper and skyline geeks (like me), here’s a ‘by the numbers” snapshot of Toronto skyscraper totals, which I (and lots of others)
define as 150 metres or more (rather than the 100+ metre metric often used by the media).
This snapshot uses a 150 metre +/- one metre, because I think it’s a bit silly to ignore a half dozen scrapers that are .4 metres below the threshold ;-).

Proposed:
- 150m- 376m (CC3)

Construction:
- 150m- 312.5m (SkyTower)

Built:
- 150m- 298m (FCP)
1 - 533m - (CN Tower)

Built + Construction: - TOTAL 95
Built + Construction + Proposed:- TOTAL 190

A) Supertalls (300m+) Built or Construction: 2
B) Supertalls (300m+) Proposed: 7

My subjective observation: for fun I decided to add in just 25% of the Toronto proposals (24 skyscrapers) to project
an informal built or under construction future snapshot: The total equals 119 skyscrapers. Not bad. In fact IMO Toronto will one day have the number 2 skyline in North America.
The city may not have a 400 metre+ skyscraper (though it’s not impossible in the future), but I think this fact is mitigated by the the tallest free-standing structure in North America,
the CN Tower (553m). While purists insist CN is not a “building”, it has certainly been a skyline-changer in a few million photos for the past four and a half decades. It belongs in any skyline discussion.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 11:00 AM

200 metres plus - Lake to Bloor/Yorkville

steveve

The Well - Condo, Office, Public Space, Rental, Retail - 174m,157m, 136m, 81m, 62.5m x 2, 62.48 m, 56m - designed by Hariri Pontarini Architects, architectsAlliance, Wallman Architects, Adamson Associates Architects, BDP, Pickard Chilton - u/c

Red Mars

Red Mars

Moist and artful shot by kotsy

kotsy

1951 Yonge - 117m, 90m - 34s, 25s - Times Group - designed by Core Architects - pre-construction

UT

UT

MRKT - 53m - 15s - Tridel - CS&P - site prep

Close to Kensington Market, Chinatown and Queen Street West - part of Alexandra Park revitalization.

UT

UT

UT
Site prep

bilked

Massey Hall Revitalization - 48m - 6s - KPMB - u/c

DSC

UT

UT

Bathurst Quay Revitalization: Canada Malting Silos, Ireland Pk, Waterfront Promenade - u/c

Link

Last edited by Maldive; Oct 9, 2020 at 11:18 AM. Reason: pic added

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 2:35 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 1:03 PM

Scotiabank North Tower at Bay Adelaide Centre - 140m - 32s - Brookfield Property - KPMB - u/c

First curtain-wall

Rascacielo

UT

Fleur Condos - 85m - 29s | Menkes - architectsAlliance - u/c

AlbertC

UT

Mirvish Village (Honest Ed's Redevelopment) | 85.04m | 26s | Westbank | Henriquez Partners - u/c

In the photo below note the 3 storey retailer (Alternative Thinking) who was one of few who refused to sell to the developer (a documentary on Honest Ed’s and the impact of this development on the neighbours and customers, airs November 14th on CBC).

Marcanadian

UT
Pretty good joke on the sign in the render

UT

Jasonzed

32 Raglan Avenue - 95m - 28s - Madison Group - superkül - application for re-zoning

Near Bathurst and St. Clair (great design, don’t buy the pizza ;-)

UT

UT

Kingsway Crescent - 32m - 8s - Harhay - TACT Architecture - pre-construction

Link

Link

Geary Factory Lofts - Intentional Capital - 4s - office- proposed

Geary

20 Maitland - 145m - 45s - Plaza - Quadrangle - pre-construction (site cleared)

UT

UT

Nahid on Broadview - 6s - Options - site prep

UT

AlbertC

(Etobicoke) Evermore at West Village - 28s - Tridel - Kirkor Architects - site prep

UT

UT

Grand Central Mimico - 123m, 90m, 46m - 37s, 26s, 12s - VANDYK Group - Kohn - pre-construction

West of the Humber Bay skyline cluster.

UT

UT

UT

Mississauga
Exchange District Condos - 232m, 201m, 136m, 96m - 72, 60, 42, 30 storeys - IBI Group - excavation

UT
Excavation (supervised by a ’skeleton’ crew).

Jasonzed

UT

UT

Something of a more modest scale in Port Credit:
TANU - 15s - IBI Group - u/c

Lake Ontario

Last edited by Maldive; Oct 11, 2020 at 3:03 PM. Reason: pic added

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 2:56 PM

Think this reno deserves it’s own post ;-): 357 Bay St. Renovations - 11s - DREAM - u/c

deerparker

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 1:57 PM

The One supertall -309m - Foster + Partners u/c

AdamS
The One will rise right centre, above 1 Bloor Street East (white and blue tower in b/g).

Jasonzed

St. Lawrence Condos at 158 Front - 91m - 26s - Cityzen - architectsAlliance - u/c

condovo

Rosehill Tower - 103m - 29s - HPA - pre-construction

UT

UT

Designers Walk - 79m - 22s - Cityzen - BBB - pre-construction

UT

Richmond Adelaide Centre - EY Tower (complete), 120 & 130 West (re-cladding-u/c) and public art

UT
"Dreaming" - Sculpture by Jaume Plensa

AlbertC
Recladding (one year ago and spring 2020)

Marcanadian

Rascacielo

Mississauga in living colour

Jasonzed

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 9:25 PM

Some nice smaller stuff

28 Eastern - 46m - 12s - Alterra - Teeple Architects - pre-construction

UT

UT

299 Campbell Avenue - 47m - 14s - TAS - Teeple Architects - u/c

UT

AlbertC

41 River Street - 18m - 5s - Percy Ellis - Studio JCI - u/c

Petite but bricky

UT

AlbertC

Regent Park: Field House EcoUrban Towns - 9m - 3s - Daniels - IBI Group - u/c

(EVOLV - 102.5m - 29s - Daniels - IBI Group - u/c in the background)

AlbertC

346 Davenport - 36m - 9s - Freed - RAW Design - u/c

UT

AlbertC

385 The West Mall - 100m - 30s - TAS - SvN - pre-construction

UT

UT

TeaHouse 501 Yonge Condominiums - 171m - 52s - Lanterra - architectsAlliance - u/c

Benito

Regent Park: Daniels Artworks Tower - 106m - 33s - Daniels - Quadrangle - u/c

UT

AlbertC

UT

Construction has been slow (or still stopped) since early August, when this happened (no serious injuries):

Northern Light

820 Church 122m - 37s - institutional 5s + 32s condos - designed by ? - site-prep (soil sampling)

Red iron-spot brick to complement its neighbours on both sides.

UT

AlbertC

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 11:58 PM

Prestige (Pinnacle One Yonge Phase 1)

Captioned by skycandy as “the other One” ;-)

skycandy

skycandy

Doggies see 75 The Esplanade poking its head up.

Paclo

Lots of real brick (I know so).

skycandy

CIBC Square 1

Paclo

The One

Benito

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 3:07 AM

Good job keeping the updates flowing, Maldive. Say, I've been away most of the summer; what chance does the elephantine Humber Bay proposal - practically a city in and of itself - have getting past council unscathed?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 4:35 AM
Midtowner since 2K

I wonder that myself. I can see it happening in a scaled back manner....as in similar heights, but more spread out/moderated density with less towers/more parkland contributions.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
Well since we already named a waterfront park after you, I see no reason the Landscape Architects can't pay tribute to your uncle's dairy and hay heritage.

Atom Heart Mother

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Good job keeping the updates flowing, Maldive. Say, I've been away most of the summer; what chance does the elephantine Humber Bay proposal - practically a city in and of itself - have getting past council unscathed?
Thanks Gresto. As for First Capital's mega-redevelopment of the Christie Bakery lands... bearing in mind that few projects escape council "unscathed", this one is so (friggin') big that even if 20% got chopped it would be transformative.

Only half-joking but, one of the partners here is the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board which I'll bet is highly motivated to make some bucks. Some "crisis" number-crunchers are predicting a (long-term future)) +$500 billion pension plan deficit for our aging country... so time to start making babies, increasing immigration, and investing in waterfront condos (and offices) .

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 6:18 PM

Lower Don Lands/Portlands - the New River Valley under construction:
From Rocky "TheRockRipper"'s tweet - "This is really the foundation for the ecosystem we're going to build on top. We've got to add a layer of sand,
a clay mat and geomembrane, and another layer of sand before we can put in the river finishes."

Link

The Millwood - 154m, 108m - 45s, 30s - residential/retail - Times Group - Core Architects - re-zoning

Some nice height here - 1951 Yonge Street at Davisville

UT

UT

Theatre District Residence & Riu Plaza Hotel - 156m x 2 - 49s, 48s - Plaza - Quadrangle - u/c

Red Mars

UT

Panda Condominiums - 108m - 30s - Lifetime - Turner Fleischer - u/c

UT

AlbertC

UT

Eight Forty on St. Clair - 29m - 8s - Worsley Urban - RAW Design - u/c

UT

drum118

UT

Waterworks Building Redevelopment - 48m - 13s - MOD Developments - Diamond Schmitt - u/c

CoreyBrendan

250 Lawrence West - 35m - 9s - Graywood - Quadrangle - approved(?)/site-prep

250Lawrence

250Lawrence

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 12:51 AM

Nobu Residences Toronto - 157m x 2 - 45s - Madison Group - Teeple Architects - u/c

Making the grade

Red Mars
This older shot illustrates the nutty site they had to contend with:

Red Mars

UT

Spadina Adelaide Square - 165m - 50s - Go-To - Cusimano - application for re-zoning

Spadina deserves a better (and brickier) architect for this one.

UT

The Tree House - 4s - Profile - 5468796 Architecture - pre-construction

UT

UT

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 2:12 AM

Progress of various towers at Humber-Bayshore

Humber Bay Shores towers by Jeremy Gilbert, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 7:50 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Wow, Humber Bay would be a solid mid-sized city skyline in it's own right. Looks like they went with lighter grey brick at the base for the Panda condos instead of the dark grey/black brick. May need a name change...
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Wow, Humber Bay would be a solid mid-sized city skyline in it's own right. Looks like they went with lighter grey brick at the base for the Panda condos instead of the dark grey/black brick. May need a name change...
It's gonna take a while, but imagine a half dozen towers from 50 storeys to 70 storeys poking their heads up behind this cluster (Humber Bay Village) .

First Capital via UT

Last edited by Maldive; Oct 17, 2020 at 12:31 AM. Reason: pic

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations