Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

130 North Franklin in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
Recent studies have shown these new plans to be horribly inefficient due to the number of visual and auditory distractions. It may be good for creative work, but for insurance and the like, not so much.
Yes, the open office plan doesn't work for all companies, especially places that deal with privacy. But it's striking a balance between well daylit environments, good airflow, and sound control. Being in a tall enclosure with low ceilings and static air isn't good for productivity either.

Not all studies cover the age of employees. I'm willing to bet the younger generations are more adapted to open offices. It's a generation that is wired to their phones listening to music. It's not hard to put up that psychological wall around you and stay focused.

A well designed office will supplement plenty of small enclosed conference rooms for employees to handle private conversations.

I'm willing to accept a diminishing trend when furniture manufactures dominate their product line with high wall office systems, but they aren't.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Yes, the open office plan doesn't work for all companies, especially places that deal with privacy. But it's striking a balance between well daylit environments, good airflow, and sound control. Being in a tall enclosure with low ceilings and static air isn't good for productivity either.

Not all studies cover the age of employees. I'm willing to bet the younger generations are more adapted to open offices. It's a generation that is wired to their phones listening to music. It's not hard to put up that psychological wall around you and stay focused.

A well designed office will supplement plenty of small enclosed conference rooms for employees to handle private conversations.

I'm willing to accept a diminishing trend when furniture manufactures dominate their product line with high wall office systems, but they aren't.
Well I am 26 and still at University, so I have some perspective on that. When I was studying architecture in an open studio with 15 other students that I could bounce ideas around with, it was great. When I am at the library studying pharmacology and everyone else around me is talking, playing music and movies, it's not so great.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 4:53 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Any word on this project? Emporis states it as a stale proposal. I want to add it to YIMBY as we created a Chicago section, but I'm debating if I should add it or not?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 5:34 PM

I think someone posted in the Highrise thread that they were doing soil testing. Anyone wanna confirm?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 5:55 PM
BANNED

^^ There has been ongoing soil testing at the site for two weeks, but it's really anyone's guess..
http://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/2...ew-skyscraper/

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 6:39 PM

Yesterday

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 12:42 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Harry, your are reliably consistent. That woman in the black top and polka-dotten skirt is HOT.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 1:11 AM
MPLSXCHI

Wait is that... Donald

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 8:10 PM

Has anyone heard anything about 130 N Franklin lately? I've been hearing it's moving forward but nothing about start/end dates.

edit: Didn't know it had a thread already: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=199537

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 6:59 PM
Plenary pleasures.

According to our beloved Aaron, 130 N. Franklin MIGHT start construction this coming Spring??

Aaron, do you know if the original K+S renderings are still legit?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Aaron, do you know if the original K+S renderings are still legit?
I think there's a few Aarons here, but I'm guessing I'm the only one who wrote a story about that building today so you might mean me.

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...ng-forward.php

We had a knowledgeable source say that it was moving forward, Reilly's office wouldn't confirm, so it's technically a rumor still. I haven't seen any updated renders. I'm afraid that will get VE'd into a turquoise rectangle, but all of the firms involved (tishman speyer, kreuk & sexton, gensler, thornton tomasetti) are big fish with lots of signature building experience between them, so I'm hopeful it'll be built as-designed.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 7:10 PM

This is the baddest ass of all the images of the building:

From our friends at chicago.curbed.com

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 7:31 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Nice. Just as RiverPoint and 150 kicked off this office construction cycle at nearly the same time, I really think we're going to have 151 and 130 Franklin both join the party in similar fashion in the near future............the Randolph/Franklin cluster, a rapid-fire second act to the Confluence office cluster....

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 8:22 PM

^^^ Yeah, with 150 N Riverside 60% leased, the other developers with projects in the pipeline are licking their chops and trying to get to the front of line for the next wave of leasing to hit the market. O'Donnell is probably kicking himself for not setting up the foundations to take even more floors than he has been rumored to add. He would be able to possibly lock out another tower from the market for another year or two if he had more space available. The leasing numbers for 150 N Riverside are extremely impressive so far, looks like adventurous design is winning out over middle of the road design in this cycle. Oh well, better to completely sell out a project early than aim too high and crash and burn.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 8:31 PM

wish this tapered off at the top. as it stands looks too bulky/squat. i guess the "shard" thing has been done to death but it would still look a little more sleek.

nothing on this site will ever make up for losing the stock exchange, but not much that can be done about that in 2014. boring generic blue glass office tower it is!

Last edited by Via Chicago; Nov 11, 2014 at 9:06 PM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 11:38 PM

At least this design has the potential to be at least a somewhat worth successor to the CSX. Obviously no landmark can ever totally make up for something unique that was lost, but Chicago at least has a habit of replacing priceless landmarks with new priceless landmarks. This building could turn out quite fantastic if they use a high quality facade system.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 3:15 AM

I hope they keep this design this may turn out to be quite the diverse cycle for office towers.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 3:36 AM

I don't think I've been this in love with a new tower design in a while. The two river offices being built aren't bad-looking and I'm very excited about the confluence getting filled out finally, but they don't really speak to me as expressions of art the way this does.

The real tragedy is that this will get lost in the skyline from any vantage. It deserves a better stage, like the river or fronting the park, where people would get to experience it in context and not only looking straight up at it from the sidewalk below it.

I know Spertus made a lot of people start to think differently about aesthetics of material and nonconventional forms, and I hope this moves that school forward. I think it's a great response to the recent "sliced glass" trend a la One11, Optima, and Loews hotel, without being too purposely contrarian like post-modernism was to modernism.

I'm going to start wishlisting buildings for immediate demolition to give this thing more visibility.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 3:45 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
The real tragedy is that this will get lost in the skyline from any vantage. It deserves a better stage, like the river or fronting the park, where people would get to experience it in context and not only looking straight up at it from the sidewalk below it.
155 N Wacker's parklet and 130's low-rise bustle should provide enough vantage from the north.

225 West Randolph also has a generous setback on the Franklin and Randolph sides, so there will be pretty good views of this thing.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 4:09 AM
MPLSXCHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
I don't think I've been this in love with a new tower design in a while. The two river offices being built aren't bad-looking and I'm very excited about the confluence getting filled out finally, but they don't really speak to me as expressions of art the way this does.

Yes it is quite sexy.

Did the person you talk to confirm the height? I'm just wondering about any design change, which would be disappointing in my mind.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals