HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #17581  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 3:36 AM
KEVINphx's Avatar
KEVINphx KEVINphx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I disagreek just look at how "arcadia" has changed it used to be Camelback, 24th street 68th street and the Canal, Now it stretches almost to Thomas.
LMAO - yeah, and Arcadia does NOT begin in the BILTMORE area . . . since when was 24th street EVER considered Arcadia?

44th street to 68th street camelback to the canal . . .
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17582  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 3:42 AM
biggus diggus biggus diggus is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,330
They did the one in palm springs facing the sidewalk and I think the space feels like it's detached my guess is they will use the same layout more or less but open it up to the inside in a prominent way.
__________________
Please excuse the brevity, auto corrected words, and occasionally incoherent sentences as I'm usually posting from my phone.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17583  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 3:46 AM
KEVINphx's Avatar
KEVINphx KEVINphx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post
You're generally right about 'arcadia light'. There are a few pretty nice pockets south of the canal, though.
Everything north of Thomas is more-or-less gentrified at this point - there are a couple pockets of trailer parks and small multifamily but even these are disappearing - nearly ALL single family in this area of East Phoenix has skyrocketed in price since I purchased my home in 2011.

I live at 24th street and Osborn - the area has changed radically and prices are literally 4x what we paid barely 10 years ago.

Even SOUTH of Thomas, new build or good quality remodel w/addition - if you find a 3 or 4 bed with 2 or 3 baths you are definitely going to be paying 500k to 800k depending on finish trim.

The homes that replaced Baker Nursery on 40th St. and Osborn are currently listed for 1.2million to 1.6million and have all sold in that price range as well.

Another infill community further south at 40th Street and Campus Dr has sold new-build homes for 700k to 760k these are 1800 to 2200 square foot homes!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17584  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 6:07 AM
Spitfiredude's Avatar
Spitfiredude Spitfiredude is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 286
Ok. You guys are straight cap on here. Do any of you live in these areas anymore or are of a younger demographic? You're literally saying anything south of the canal isn't Arcadia because they aren't rich enough? Come on.

I'm in my late 20s & the Arcadia nightlife is along Indian School from 48th Street through to 36th Street. Every restaurant, shopping center, business complex, & residence markets itself as Arcadia. Ohso, Little Woody, The Attic, Hash, The Porch, The Vig, Cold Beers, & even Chick Fil A for crying out loud... all call their locations Arcadia. All are south of the canal.

Districts change, grow and/or diminish with time. No one used to consider downtown as the area between the 7s extending all the way northward to McDowell, but times have changed. I would say maybe Thomas is a stretch, but it's eventually heading that direction.

The expansion of the brand name "Arcadia" is something residents as a whole should be proud of. It means there's some pride and patriotism tied to the community (Arcadia) & businesses and residents want to be apart of that. Plus it provides for gentrification and overall community improvement.....and in this case diversification.

Anyone who's complaining "no! That's not Arcadia" .... dude you're an old timer being stubborn in your ways. It's all a colloquial argument anyway. If I'm telling someone in Gilbert where my dentist is (off 40th St & Indian School), I'm not going to say the cross streets cuz most people can't identify immediately. I'll just say "oh yeah, he's over in Arcadia". Don't kill me that I'm a couple blocks off the original 1960s boundaries of the neighborhood. Smh
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17585  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 7:36 AM
pbenjamin's Avatar
pbenjamin pbenjamin is offline
METRO: Encanto
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Robot View Post
pbenjamin must be remembering the now closed hotel immediately to the west of the new Arrive Hotel. It was a Days Inn for many years before changing hands and names a few times, lastly known as Hotel 502. It is due to begin demolition this month, to make way for a massive apartment complex.

The two buildings that compose Arrive Hotel were both office 'towers' at 444 and 400 W Camelback, built in the late 50's I believe. As part of the conversion into a hotel, both buildings were placed on the Phoenix historic property register, and a lot of work went into restoring original features of the buildings, while making careful modern additions on the back sides. What was once the parking lot of building 400 is now a resort pool with a bar and restaurant, along with a Cartel coffee shop at the corner of the property, right at the sidewalk on Camelback. Building 444 houses a rooftop bar with impressive views of north Phoenix and the mountain preserves. I was able to tour the property mid-construction just as the new structures were first going up and the buildings had been stripped down for restoration. They've spared no expense on this place, it's really great to see it all come together. Definitely a big win for Uptown Phoenix and the light rail line.
Yeah it was the Days Inn.
__________________
Paul
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17586  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 2:20 PM
fawd fawd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
I'm in my late 20s... Don't kill me that I'm a couple blocks off the original 1960s boundaries of the neighborhood. Smh

I mean, I won't kill you or anything lol. But everything south of the canal is not part of Arcadia.

You're chick-fil-a is 'in the general Arcadia area' or in 'Arcadia-light'... but it's certainly not in the Arcadia neighborhood.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17587  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 2:47 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINphx View Post
LMAO - yeah, and Arcadia does NOT begin in the BILTMORE area . . . since when was 24th street EVER considered Arcadia?

44th street to 68th street camelback to the canal . . .
yeah it was a typo I meant 44th
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17588  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 2:54 PM
DesertRay DesertRay is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post
I mean, I won't kill you or anything lol. But everything south of the canal is not part of Arcadia.

You're chick-fil-a is 'in the general Arcadia area' or in 'Arcadia-light'... but it's certainly not in the Arcadia neighborhood.
"Nearcadia"
"Fringecadia"
"Edgecadia"

Brand it. Own it. Profit.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17589  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 2:58 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
Ok.
Anyone who's complaining "no! That's not Arcadia" .... dude you're an old timer being stubborn in your ways. It's all a colloquial argument anyway. If I'm telling someone in Gilbert where my dentist is (off 40th St & Indian School), I'm not going to say the cross streets cuz most people can't identify immediately. I'll just say "oh yeah, he's over in Arcadia". Don't kill me that I'm a couple blocks off the original 1960s boundaries of the neighborhood. Smh
Yes Arcadia as a term now encompass what uses to be east phoenix or camelback east. Those names never caught on, I would argue that phoenix east of SR51 is now arcadia (and Baltimore but thats a relatively tiny neighborhood)

See mt map that I spent 1000 hours making today:
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17590  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 3:06 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,570
And just to offend the weak of character this was my map made years ago of places acceptable to live vs unacceptable.

If you are in he red areas god have mercy on your soul.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17591  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 3:31 PM
gymratmanaz gymratmanaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,802
Back in the days of,"Oh, you live in the avenues." - Not true today!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17592  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 3:35 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
- Not true today!!!

ehhhhhhhhh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17593  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 3:41 PM
PHX31's Avatar
PHX31 PHX31 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: PHX
Posts: 6,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
And just to offend the weak of character this was my map made years ago of places acceptable to live vs unacceptable.

If you are in he red areas god have mercy on your soul.

This looks pretty official, although some areas of the avenues aren't "red", but a broad brush makes it easier. What avenue is your eastern edge of the red line along north central phoenix? 15th or 19th Ave?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17594  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 4:30 PM
xymox xymox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
This looks pretty official, although some areas of the avenues aren't "red", but a broad brush makes it easier. What avenue is your eastern edge of the red line along north central phoenix? 15th or 19th Ave?
I’d add the area around 32nd St/Bell to that. The Square I think it is called. There are even other areas around there I would never advise people to live in. Most PHX PD activity in the city.
__________________
mmmm skyscraper, I love you....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17595  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 4:50 PM
CrestedSaguaro's Avatar
CrestedSaguaro CrestedSaguaro is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,146
Moon Tower

Getting away from this ridiculous conversation for some development news.

Here's what we got with Moon Tower:

Officially, this will be multi-family, primarily geared towards student housing. So a Meow-Wolf is now out unless True North has another location in mind. But I have a feeling with the state of things and rumors I have been reading regarding Atari, I feel we will be losing both of these for the time being, but I digress. Back to Moon Tower. Proposed height would be 250'. The building adjacent to the South would be demolished for more room. Floor count is 22 with 5 levels of parking. Looks like only 1 retail spot with a possible coffee shop. Developer is still True North.

Here's renderings:







Read full documents from my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Bn?usp=sharing
__________________
Ronnie Garrett
https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?memberID=205
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17596  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 4:52 PM
gymratmanaz gymratmanaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,802
I love this Venn diragram!
-I live in Arcadia!
-I live in Midtown!
-I live in Meth & Crack!!!

LOL
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17597  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 5:13 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
This looks pretty official, although some areas of the avenues aren't "red", but a broad brush makes it easier. What avenue is your eastern edge of the red line along north central phoenix? 15th or 19th Ave?
Pretty sure the line covers everything from 15th to 19th but roughly 15th is what I'd say is the border
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17598  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 5:15 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
I love this Venn diragram!
-I live in Arcadia!
-I live in Midtown!
-I live in Meth & Crack!!!

LOL
It aint wrong... depending on your address
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17599  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 5:24 PM
biggus diggus biggus diggus is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
Back in the days of,"Oh, you live in the avenues." - Not true today!!!
I am guilty of avenue bashing But I do have a W in my address now. I now draw the line at the 17 instead of central.
__________________
Please excuse the brevity, auto corrected words, and occasionally incoherent sentences as I'm usually posting from my phone.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17600  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 5:45 PM
KEVINphx's Avatar
KEVINphx KEVINphx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
Ok. You guys are straight cap on here. Do any of you live in these areas anymore or are of a younger demographic? You're literally saying anything south of the canal isn't Arcadia because they aren't rich enough? Come on.

I'm in my late 20s & the Arcadia nightlife is along Indian School from 48th Street through to 36th Street. Every restaurant, shopping center, business complex, & residence markets itself as Arcadia. Ohso, Little Woody, The Attic, Hash, The Porch, The Vig, Cold Beers, & even Chick Fil A for crying out loud... all call their locations Arcadia. All are south of the canal.

Districts change, grow and/or diminish with time. No one used to consider downtown as the area between the 7s extending all the way northward to McDowell, but times have changed. I would say maybe Thomas is a stretch, but it's eventually heading that direction.

The expansion of the brand name "Arcadia" is something residents as a whole should be proud of. It means there's some pride and patriotism tied to the community (Arcadia) & businesses and residents want to be apart of that. Plus it provides for gentrification and overall community improvement.....and in this case diversification.

Anyone who's complaining "no! That's not Arcadia" .... dude you're an old timer being stubborn in your ways. It's all a colloquial argument anyway. If I'm telling someone in Gilbert where my dentist is (off 40th St & Indian School), I'm not going to say the cross streets cuz most people can't identify immediately. I'll just say "oh yeah, he's over in Arcadia". Don't kill me that I'm a couple blocks off the original 1960s boundaries of the neighborhood. Smh
No, it's inaccurate marketing by realtors, adapted with exuberance by those who are not from Phoenix or who lived their lives in the suburbs and are thus not aware of already-existing, defined communities . . . gentrification creeping towards MY community at 24th Street and Osborn does not suddenly transform the community identity from The Phoenix Homesteads into The Biltmore or Arcadia . . . regardless of property prices! These different neighborhoods have unique histories that kind of gets lost in misidentifying them as "Arcadia" when they are NOT even if the architectural style of the remodeled homes and new builds is similar. Arcadia homes are on LARGE irrigated lots - that's specifically part of the appeal of that neighborhood . . .

I would add that you would definitely need to be an "actual millionaire" to purchase in Arcadia today - listing prices there are nuts!

Last edited by KEVINphx; Aug 7, 2020 at 6:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:32 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.