HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
I’m sure you meant to say 2 years and not 22.
Been to the Village couple of times recently to pick up Chinese food and noticed that Rays was closed each time.
The release Ray's put out had 22 years on it, I'm assuming they're counting the years they were known as New York Fries. https://www.facebook.com/10982134397...1496972810440/

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 7:24 PM

Anapplication is at council for an A&W Drive-thru t 50 White Rose Drive which is the strip where PartyCity is. I wonder if they will keep the other A&W on Torbay Rd since it close to the same area.

Also,
The signage is up for the new Pizza Delight at the Avalon Mall food court. It’s in the former space occupied by Cultures that was between DQ and KFC which didn’t last there very long.

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 2:33 PM

A&W White Rose Drive

Thompson Centres which owns the Party City/Dollarama/Little Caesar's strip is showing A&W next to a new extension to the building between Pet Valu and Dollarama. It's a stand-alone building with a drive-thru. When contacted, the owner of nearby Torbay Road A&W knows nothing about it.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 4:48 PM

Pizza Delight in the Avalon Mall has opened

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 6:26 AM

According to Ches’s TikTok page they are opening a location in the Village Mall in June 28. I’m assuming it’s in the food court with the other takeouts and not a full eat in restaurant like the former Klondike Jakes.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 7:05 PM

Just noticed that there’s an application at city hall to put a 24-7 drive-thru at the Orange Store on Topsail Road and Hamyln Road. No word on what kind of restaurant that might be though.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Just noticed that there’s an application at city hall to put a 24-7 drive-thru at the Orange Store on Topsail Road and Hamyln Road. No word on what kind of restaurant that might be though.
The drive-thru is just for the Orange Store itself, not for a restaurant.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 6:02 PM

Mary Browns Acquiring Burrito Restaurant

https://vocm.com/2022/06/15/mary-bro...st-food-chain/

I'd say chances are good they will be opening here.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 10:57 AM

Stumbled across this article on the Google news feed. Seems like Denny’s Restaurant are in expansion mode in Atlantic Canada/Maritimes. Oddly enough, St. John’s has the sole Denny’s on the East Coast. It mentions possibly more locations for Newfoundland in the article. Here is the link...
https://www.country94.ca/2022/06/30/...-soon-as-2023/

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Stumbled across this article on the Google news feed. Seems like Denny’s Restaurant are in expansion mode in Atlantic Canada/Maritimes. Oddly enough, St. John’s has the sole Denny’s on the East Coast. It mentions possibly more locations for Newfoundland in the article. Here is the link...
https://www.country94.ca/2022/06/30/...-soon-as-2023/
St. John's has the only Sandman Hotel on the East Coast... they tend to go hand in hand - same owner. I wondering are they also considering a hotel expansion?

Ron.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 4:02 PM

Seems like Blaze Pizza is gonna open soon atAvalon Mall next door to the brand new CIBC Bank. The exterior signage is up on the building now. Here’s a wiki-link to what they are all about.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaze_Pizza

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 5:10 PM

Blaze Pizza is now open in front of the Avalon Mall.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 5:10 PM

Starbucks will open it's first location outside of St. John's Metro in Carbonear.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 11:53 AM

Funny, I would have guessed Bay Roberts would have one first.
No reason really, just the general vibe of those two towns from someone who's from there.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Engine View Post
Funny, I would have guessed Bay Roberts would have one first.
No reason really, just the general vibe of those two towns from someone who's from there.
Technically speaking, there was a Starbucks in Corner Brook a few years ago during Target's failed attempt to enter the Canadian retail scene. However, that was short-lived. Depends on how you slice it, this is the second location outside the city, but first standalone location?? I'm just getting myself bogged down with semantics. However, I do see this as the first push for Starbucks to start encroaching on Tim's land outside the Avalon. I wouldn't be surprised to hear one opening in, say, Clarenville or Corner Brook (again) in the near future. Remains to be see....

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Technically speaking, there was a Starbucks in Corner Brook a few years ago during Target's failed attempt to enter the Canadian retail scene. However, that was short-lived. Depends on how you slice it, this is the second location outside the city, but first standalone location?? I'm just getting myself bogged down with semantics. However, I do see this as the first push for Starbucks to start encroaching on Tim's land outside the Avalon. I wouldn't be surprised to hear one opening in, say, Clarenville or Corner Brook (again) in the near future. Remains to be see....
Technically yes....I was wondering if anyone knew that. Kind of like the Taco Bell Express at Empire Cinemas. Apparently the Starbucks in the CB Target store did fantastic, I guess because it was the only one.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 7:31 PM

If anyone is out in CBS around Ninepenny this Friday (August 12), the Unphogetabowl Vietnamese food truck is quite good. Usually in Placentia:
https://www.instagram.com/p/ChDI-iUO-ad/

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 11:39 AM

Mezza Lebanese Kitchen

New start up expanding in Atlantic Canada with Crombie REIT partnership. Could be future opening in Avalon Mall food court owned by Crombie. Newfoundland franchise still available according to article:

https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...da-interviews/

https://www.ordermezza.com/menu

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 6:20 PM

Is Mama Soula's really "PERMANENTLY CLOSED"

Don't want to ask because I am afraid of the answer.
Does anyone know the status of Mama Soula's - Torbay Road?

For those who may not be familiar with the situation on Jan 04, 2022 a major Fire at Mama Soula's, Peter's Pizza and Greensleeves Uptown caused extensive damage to the building.

Over the summer they had been running a delivery option for a reduced menu out of I believe the downtown Greensleeves but that web page has vanished

Google says "PERMANENTLY CLOSED", I am just trying to confirm this from local sources.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Packrat View Post
Don't want to ask because I am afraid of the answer.
Does anyone know the status of Mama Soula's - Torbay Road?

For those who may not be familiar with the situation on Jan 04, 2022 a major Fire at Mama Soula's, Peter's Pizza and Greensleeves Uptown caused extensive damage to the building.

Over the summer they had been running a delivery option for a reduced menu out of I believe the downtown Greensleeves but that web page has vanished

Google says "PERMANENTLY CLOSED", I am just trying to confirm this from local sources.
Their Facebook page says they will not be re-opening.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's