HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jun 17, 2023, 4:57 AM

I would not mind at all if this became permanent tbh. I feel like there needs to be another public space somewhere between City Hall and Independence Mall, even in addition to this one.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2023, 3:43 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
I would not mind at all if this became permanent tbh. I feel like there needs to be another public space somewhere between City Hall and Independence Mall, even in addition to this one.
I agree completely, even though I know that can be a controversial take on a pro-development board.

But clearly inviting, safe and well-maintained public spaces are in high demand across Philly, and even more importantly can facilitate lingering and more street activation on corridors like Chestnut that obviously need reinvigoration.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2023, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRevival View Post
I agree completely, even though I know that can be a controversial take on a pro-development board.

But clearly inviting, safe and well-maintained public spaces are in high demand across Philly, and even more importantly can facilitate lingering and more street activation on corridors like Chestnut that obviously need reinvigoration.
I agree completely about this park. As east market densifies this will be an amazing draw for the neighborhood. I do hope we get that teracotta building somewhere though.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2023, 12:26 PM

Walking east on Chestnut, this building draws one's eyes and up to the canyon and appreciate the pre-war buildings even more; great juxtaposition of old and new.

Also, the plaza looks like it is meant to be there and not just bad urban planning or poor land value decision.

This morning:

Old Posted Jun 26, 2023, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
The "pocket park" between the old Federal Building and old Federal Reserve Bank in the 900 block of Chestnut comes to mind, but its fenced off.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2023, 5:50 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
, the plaza looks like it is meant to be there and not just bad urban planning or poor land value decision.
I think this statement hits the nail on the head - the park seems like it has been there forever since the very first time I walked through. The surrounding architecture shines unlike any other park/plaza in the city, mostly because there isn't a canopy of trees blocking the site lines to the buildings.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2023, 7:21 PM

I work in this development and the plaza is an awesome addition. I can't wait until the tower opens and there is more activity in the area.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2023, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuy View Post
I work in this development and the plaza is an awesome addition. I can't wait until the tower opens and there is more activity in the area.
Just got back from my 1st trip to Philly in a few years. I have to agree, that park and area in general is really cool. I love the juxtaposition of the building styles when sitting in the middle of that new park. Everything compliments each other, old and new. Well done. Hope it grows to become a thriving little hub.

Also, I hear on this site how bad it is right there, but I didn't find it too bad. But maybe the construction wrapping up helped it. People were sitting, eating lunch, etc. Market street was still Market street, but that felt exactly as it always has.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 5:44 PM

They are finally repairing and preparing to pave the blocks around the Jefferson site, including the horrendous intersection of 12th and Chestnut which was in 3rd world condition. The tracks running through the southern portion of 12th near chestnut and through the intersection have been pulled up from what I can see.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuy View Post
Lets hope the fact this building is coming will lead to some interest in the vacant retail spaces across the street on 11th and on chestnut, both are in rough shape, especially 11th.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2023, 3:55 AM

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 2:46 PM

That blank wall is just begging for a Gritty/Phanatic mural

Last edited by jaysb; Jul 17, 2023 at 2:47 PM. Reason: remove broken link

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 12:45 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysb View Post
That blank wall is just begging for a Gritty/Phanatic mural
If you’re referring to the PSFS building, I can virtually guarantee that the Historical Commission would not allow it. PSFS, besides being on the Philadelphia Register, is a National Historic Landmark. But a mural had been suggested some years ago by Conrad Benner: https://www.phillymag.com/news/2012/...-building-but/

He even started a petition in 2012 (which received 188 signatures): https://streetsdept.com/2012/10/08/s...psfs-building/

Much digital ink was spilled over his proposal: https://philly.curbed.com/2012/10/22...be-interesting

Inga Saffron column: https://www.inquirer.com/philly/colu...a_classic.html

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 2:19 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

VTV09617 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV09618 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV09620 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV09621 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV09622 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 2:37 AM

^^ The plaza looks great!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
If you’re referring to the PSFS building, I can virtually guarantee that the Historical Commission would not allow it. PSFS, besides being on the Philadelphia Register, is a National Historic Landmark. But a mural had been suggested some years ago by Conrad Benner: https://www.phillymag.com/news/2012/...-building-but/

He even started a petition in 2012 (which received 188 signatures): https://streetsdept.com/2012/10/08/s...psfs-building/

Much digital ink was spilled over his proposal: https://philly.curbed.com/2012/10/22...be-interesting

Inga Saffron column: https://www.inquirer.com/philly/colu...a_classic.html
haha, I guess I should have added /s to my post, but that is some good background, appreciated.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 1:50 PM
Chris

The freshly paved street and crosswalks are nice upgrades too.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
The freshly paved street and crosswalks are nice upgrades too.
Amen- this intersection was a disaster for drivers, walkers and bikers. I do know SEPTA has money in its capital budget for trolley track removal going fwd- long overdue.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 9:05 PM
build awesome buildings

Whoa, the freshly paved and lined roads really complete the transformation.

Awesome pics as always, Tony!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 1:25 PM

I say keep the park if only to avoid another 5 years of single lane Chestnut street on that block. That was a pain in the a$$.

Of course, now that every retailer on that block has closed, it wouldn't be as bad.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive