HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Seems weird if so, it just had a whole bunch of work done on it. If you search 266 you get an older street view shot with a noticeably older facade and no fence on the west end.
It’s 366 Marion 266 was a typo

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Great news.
Yes it is, great!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 11:34 PM

Radio silence for the past few months, any word on what's up with the major redevelopment at polo park? Airport still fighting it?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Radio silence for the past few months, any word on what's up with the major redevelopment at polo park? Airport still fighting it?
I think I saw they worked out their issues with WAA and it's going ahead, but when I don't know.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 2:00 AM

Reiterate my doubt for anything bigger than 6 storeys to move forward before BOC rate cuts at least 3 times. 2-5 years. Maybe Sutton being the only exception. Anything else is an outlier.

Hope that take is wrong but it feels not wrong.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Reiterate my doubt for anything bigger than 6 storeys to move forward before BOC rate cuts at least 3 times. 2-5 years. Maybe Sutton being the only exception. Anything else is an outlier.

Hope that take is wrong but it feels not wrong.
I guess rent it just too low (or affordable) to justify towers?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 3:13 AM

My assumption is developers might be able to make much-costlier towers work but the margins would be so thin at this point, hedging on perceived imminent cuts is what is happening. Towers cost a lot and borrowing money is very expensive currently relative to 5 years ago.

But what do I know I’m just an electrician. Just over here pullin my wire.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 9:19 PM

Quote:
My assumption is developers might be able to make much-costlier towers work but the margins would be so thin at this point, hedging on perceived imminent cuts is what is happening. Towers cost a lot and borrowing money is very expensive currently relative to 5 years ago.

But what do I know I’m just an electrician. Just over here pullin my wire.
That's a great line.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 11:45 PM

Looks like the Gem Equities boondoggle Fulton Grove might finally be moving along, with city planners now recommending the project after fighting it for 10 years.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/br...ousing-project

A long-delayed major housing development that sparked a legal battle with the city may finally move ahead, a decade after it was first proposed, putting an end to a process some deem an “embarrassment” for Winnipeg.

City planners now recommend applications for Gem Equities’ proposal to create 1,918 new dwelling units at the former Parker lands be approved with conditions.

Developer Andrew Marquess expressed hope the substantial new Fulton Grove project will soon be one major step closer to construction.

“It’s an infill site, first and foremost, next to a (more than) half-billion-dollar investment in rapid transit… It allows for the opportunity to build a significant amount of apartment units at a time when vacancy is low and rents are rising,” said Marquess.

Last year, a judge found one former and one current city planner liable for “misfeasance in public office” and deemed the City of Winnipeg to be vicariously liable for delaying the major construction project. The judge ordered the city to pay $5 million in damages to the developer, noting Gem submitted a draft secondary plan back in spring 2014.

The city is appealing that ruling.

In a letter to Winnipeg’s mayor and council that was published with the development applications, Marquess called out the alleged city stalling.

“This project has been historically contentious due to the actions of the (city) administration and has been a local issue but it has now drawn national attention,” he wrote, noting the federal Conservative party recently used the process as an example of bureaucratic obstacles to building more housing.

Marquess is urging council to approve the project now.

“We cannot allow this project to be approved at the council level and then get mired in bureaucracy and personal politics resulting in no housing being built,” he added.

Marquess told the Free Press many of the conditions the city seeks to impose on the project are minor but he is concerned a call for larger setbacks from rail lines could force a “significant reduction” in the number of housing units that can be built.

“We’ve only been at this a decade, so it’s interesting that this has popped up now when it hadn’t been an issue before,” he said.

Coun. Janice Lukes, the city’s deputy mayor, said she was still reviewing the report Wednesday.

“I hope to heck that we can figure this out and get it done because it’s, in my opinion, gone on far too long and decisions need to be made.… We need housing, it’s by a rapid transit corridor. (With) new leadership, surely, we can figure this out,” said Lukes.

The Waverley West councillor said the city has suffered “national embarrassment” over the file and would benefit from the housing units and tax dollars a development this size would produce.

“It’s tax dollars and it is housing. And the fact of the matter is we… put in this $600-million rapid transit corridor (right next to this development site). We need to optimize it,” said Lukes.

Coun. Brian Mayes (St. Vital) stressed he’ll keep an open mind on the project itself but noted he’s also troubled by the delay to develop the area.

“We built that dog-leg (bus rapid transit route)… (and) the point was to get development near there. It’s over a decade since we had that vote and we’re still at this point so I would like to get this resolved one way or another,” said Mayes.

The application proposes the transformation of 47 acres of south Winnipeg land bordered by the CN Railway Rivers line and southwest rapid transitway to create a transit-oriented development, along with parks and recreation space.

A high-density multi-family residential area would include 1,575 dwelling units in 23 “apartment-style” buildings, ranging from six to 22 storeys tall, along with a 1.86-acre neighbourhood park. Six of the buildings would have ground-floor commercial units.

Another area would offer 158 dwelling units within 10 three-storey townhomes, while a lower density housing area would include 185 units within a mix of townhomes, triplexes/fourplexes, duplexes, and single-family homes, along with a 0.8-acre park.

The development also proposes a geothermal energy system to heat and cool buildings in the high-density and townhome areas, while limiting greenhouse-gas emissions.

A pedestrian and cycling network would include sidewalks on both sides of all streets and recreation paths.

Marquess said he does not believe the proposal varies much from what he’s submitted to the city since 2018. He noted council approved a plan in 2020 but said that didn’t move forward, blaming administrative changes after the vote.

If council approves the latest subdivision and rezoning applications, a development agreement would still be required after that point, said Marquess.

A request to speak with a city planner was not granted Wednesday. A spokesman said the city is supportive of the application.

“The (suggested) changes are minor in nature and more related to clarification of details and future development application processing,” wrote Kalen Qually.

The City Centre community committee will cast the first vote on the proposal next Thursday. The applications require full city council approval.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 2:41 AM

^ Good riddance, it's about time that development gets built. More transit-orientated development getting built will also help justify future rapid transit lines.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 3:07 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
^ Good riddance, it's about time that development gets built. More transit-orientated development getting built will also help justify future rapid transit lines.
Isnt this th SFH development with TOD lipstick? Some nebulous phase 3 was supposed to build towers but knowing the developer, probably never.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Isnt this th SFH development with TOD lipstick? Some nebulous phase 3 was supposed to build towers but knowing the developer, probably never.
I'd have to look at the phases again, but the density quoted in the article sounds decent:

"A high-density multi-family residential area would include 1,575 dwelling units in 23 “apartment-style” buildings, ranging from six to 22 storeys tall, along with a 1.86-acre neighbourhood park. Six of the buildings would have ground-floor commercial units.

Another area would offer 158 dwelling units within 10 three-storey townhomes, while a lower density housing area would include 185 units within a mix of townhomes, triplexes/fourplexes, duplexes, and single-family homes, along with a 0.8-acre park."

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
I'd have to look at the phases again, but the density quoted in the article sounds decent:

"A high-density multi-family residential area would include 1,575 dwelling units in 23 “apartment-style” buildings, ranging from six to 22 storeys tall, along with a 1.86-acre neighbourhood park. Six of the buildings would have ground-floor commercial units.

Another area would offer 158 dwelling units within 10 three-storey townhomes, while a lower density housing area would include 185 units within a mix of townhomes, triplexes/fourplexes, duplexes, and single-family homes, along with a 0.8-acre park."
Problem is if I recall Ph 1 through 3 are from left to right in the photo - SFH first then it graduates to higher density at the right. The fear is it'll never get the green or red highlighted portion.

https://imgur.com/a/C9WoOnT

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 1:38 PM

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 3:31 PM

^The largest I see is 13 stories. Isn't there supposed to be a 23 story building?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 3:35 PM

That's at the Fort Rouge Yards development. The land GEM used to own before doing the big land swap deal with the City.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 3:36 PM

Outside of addressing the need for more housing, and adding density along the BRT, I admit I've been lukewarm about this project. It's not downtown, I'll probably never see it, let alone live there, so in all honesty I don't have much of an opinion on it one way or another. However, I feel this is the most disturbing part of this story:

"Last year, a judge found one former and one current city planner liable for “misfeasance in public office” and deemed the City of Winnipeg to be vicariously liable for delaying the major construction project."

I'm not saying this is a good or bad project, but I'm glad the city seems to be trying to correct mistakes of the past.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 3:41 PM

Refresher for everyone here and why GEM has been treated this way. The owner is a dick.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Refresher for everyone here and why GEM has been treated this way. The owner is a dick.
One of the most corrupt SoBs in the province.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 5:36 PM

Can't remember if there were any renders or info for some of the developments we talked about recently.

Fulton Grove
http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/perm...0404(RM)CCC-28

126-140 Sherbrook
http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/perm...0404(RM)CCC-22

366 Marion
http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/perm...40405(RM)RC-21

744 St. Mary's
http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/perm...40405(RM)RC-18

193 McGgregor
http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/perm...0404(RM)LWC-17

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan