HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
So how does that compare to Nutrien tower??
According to wiki, Nutrien is 88.5M

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 6:18 PM

Nutrien tower is 88.5m, so this tower would be 15.5m taller, which is 17.5% taller than Nutrien tower. Also, according to google earth, the ground elevation where Nutrien Tower is built is 484m above sea level. The bottom of the slope that this tower would be built on is 493m, but the top of the slope is 502. So assuming they are measuring the height of this thing from the bottom of the slope, the top of this tower will be about 24.5m higher than Nutrien tower. For reference, Nutrien tower is 18m taller than no1 river landing.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 9:21 PM

The height is measured from the top of the slope (12th Street side) - 104 metres above the ground floor (podium floor). The ground floor elevation is probably somewhere between 502 to 503 metres above sea level.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 10:41 PM

Thank you, so it could be about 34 meters higher than Nutrien tower. Wow.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 6:29 PM

If anyone is aviation enthusiast here is some minor news at YXE

https://www.yxeclub.com/

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 7:51 PM

Just saw this new development pop up and did a few quick sketches of what the project would like in the skyline. Looking forward to seeing what becomes of this project!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 7:59 PM

The 30 storey tower is more than fine. Doesn't even look out of place really. It blends in with the riverbank well and will stimulate many larger projects in the Nutana-CBD areas.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 8:04 PM

I've asked this before,

but why were so many 'highrises' built in the 70s and 80s here in our downtown ? aside from the cheap building materials that was a key reason( which i was told ) , was it a development plan to build many towers in that time frame? especially when the city was half the population? Were folks wanting to live downtown then ? or was it just developers taking advantage just because of the opportunity at the time?

I've heard in person too - "our city can't support this 30 storey tower" But yet the dozens were built 30+ years ago, with over 100 storeys between all those buildings.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
Just saw this new development pop up and did a few quick sketches of what the project would like in the skyline. Looking forward to seeing what becomes of this project!
Thanks for posting these! It would certainly be prominent!

These images make me wonder what the next proposal will look like at the Highpoint site. Or... what is the status of that one? Cancelled, or just postponed?

Speaking of highrise construction booms, imagine Highpoint and this new proposal being built at the same time, as Main Street continues to densify. If only it could be so.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 10:39 AM

IF that is built it would be a HUGE First for Saskatoon and the Whole Province

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 3:03 PM

If this wind keeps up they may want to consider some giant guy wires for it. I wonder what that would look like??

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 3:16 PM

One step closer for Meridian condo on Spadina

https://www.ckom.com/2022/04/08/coun...tage-churches/

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 5:44 PM

Hopefully we will see some shovels in the ground sometime this summer/fall for this new Meridian build. Of everything that is going on around our city right now with density, this project may be the most exciting. It's vital that we continue to see high-rise development on that side of the river and not only in and around Broadway.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXE View Post
Hopefully we will see some shovels in the ground sometime this summer/fall for this new Meridian build. Of everything that is going on around our city right now with density, this project may be the most exciting. It's vital that we continue to see high-rise development on that side of the river and not only in and around Broadway.
I believe they are still waiting for some sort of approval at the provincial level. Hopefully it won't delay them too much.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 6:31 PM

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
I've asked this before,

I've heard in person too - "our city can't support this 30 storey tower" But yet the dozens were built 30+ years ago, with over 100 storeys between all those buildings.
I found this comment interesting. I'll start this by saying I've always considered Saskatoon as my home city, coming from a small town nearby. And I still frequent S'toon 2 to 3 times a year.

In Kelowna, a city half the size of Saskatoon, we currently have 12 towers in the development phase and 4 under construction. These range from 13 to 42 floors with most being in that 28 -32 range. City wide, I believe we have around 29 towers in development or under construction. Why so many? For this area, its land. Mountains and agricultural land box everything in so we can't do the urban sprawl that Saskatoon can.

There was an article in the Star Phoenix last year about DT S'toon being at a tipping point which spoke of services for less fortunate and overall housing need for everyone in the downtown core. The story also said that "Saskatoon dream" was to own a home and raise a family. My point here would be that it's not everyone's dream. I'm sure there a quite a few people who would love to live DT if there were options beyond rental or older condo style towers.

A number of years ago, the goal was to have 10k residing in the DT core. What projects have been approved or applied for that hasn't been torn to shreds by planning and or nimby's to the point a developer simply needs to walk away from the dream? I don't know, just asking and the Baydo Towers don't count as they would be in the City Park area and not a contributing number to the DT residing population.

River Landing is a great start to revive the core and if/when the arena moves the amount of people wishing to live closer to amenities or the after hour vibes that will grow will also increase. Google says the current population residing in the core is around 3,300 yet between 18K- 20K work downtown. Logic says alot of those workers would rather live closer to work than driving in from the "burbs" on a daily basis.

So back to the original comment from mitchellk12. My view is that not only can Saskatoon sustain a 30 storey tower, build one and more will quickly follow based off it's success. My only concern is that it appears most of the applications being made are for rental units. Build a few condo towers to allow pride of ownership start to grow DT.

Just some thoughts from an outsider.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 11:54 PM

Charlie Clark just posted on facebook that Arbutus is building a grocery store/restaurant in the MEC location, and that they’re going to go ahead with Imaginr Idylwyld on that section of the street to accommodate it, Win win!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 12:05 AM

the tower looks alright in those renderings.. helps that the trees in the foreground cover the horrible podium.
does anyone know what the status is of the new tower to the left of this one is? was that approved? I remember really liking the classy simplicity of that one.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
the tower looks alright in those renderings.. helps that the trees in the foreground cover the horrible podium.
does anyone know what the status is of the new tower to the left of this one is? was that approved? I remember really liking the classy simplicity of that one.
Highpoint is approved but Urban Capital has the project on ice.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Charlie Clark just posted on facebook that Arbutus is building a grocery store/restaurant in the MEC location, and that they’re going to go ahead with Imaginr Idylwyld on that section of the street to accommodate it, Win win!
Speaking of Imagine Idylwyld, what's the overall update on this? According to the city's website, the last phase of planning took place in 2018. So much talk in this city but it feels nothing gets done.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan