HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 6:27 PM

It is like the wild west with crazies out there and progressively getting worse. Just last week a neighbor in our apartment left her car running while going to run up and grab something, forgot to re-lock it but took the keys, and someone was apparently watching, stole their car (key wasn’t even inside but it was keyless so I guess it stayed on and could drive??), and they went on a little cruise before dropping it off at the front of The Lighthouse. The lack of rule downtown means it’s a rule less free range of actions - usually going to jail is a treat since it’s in better shape than our social assistance and social housing. Very unfortunate.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 6:36 PM
BANNED

This is what happens when inequality is going through the roof and we lack jobs, mental healthcare, and community supports for our most vulnerable. But how about we stop blaming individuals and stop the poverty shaming and name calling, and instead blame those in government who have let this fester and become a systemic problem that happens in ever major city after decades of neoliberal, free-market policies that have decimated our communities.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
This is what happens when inequality is going through the roof and we lack jobs, mental healthcare, and community supports for our most vulnerable. But how about we stop blaming individuals and stop the poverty shaming and name calling, and instead blame those in government who have let this fester and become a systemic problem that happens in ever major city after decades of neoliberal, free-market policies that have decimated our communities.
There's a thread to discuss politics . It's not the governments job to stop someone from stealing a vehicle. Regardless of the poverty situation. I agree with you that it needs to be addressed but everything to you is the governments fault when you don't like something. Discuss matters like this in the politics thread, or one that suits topics as such. I get your concern Roryn but it's not really construction related anyways.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 8:04 PM

Action! I’m so curious to know if they are keeping the original design and if it’s condos or commercial…

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 8:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
There's a thread to discuss politics . It's not the governments job to stop someone from stealing a vehicle. Regardless of the poverty situation. I agree with you that it needs to be addressed but everything to you is the governments fault when you don't like something. Discuss matters like this in the politics thread, or one that suits topics as such. I get your concern Roryn but it's not really construction related anyways.
Uh, ya, because in a democracy the government/state is responsible for overseeing society and the economy. When there are systemic problems, as there are with homelessness and drug addiction, blaming individuals, as certain posters on this forum consistently do, is a fool's errand and solves absolutely nothing except one person's desire to feel superior. And I was only responding to what Roryn was posting here. You might have missed it but I did post a story related to inequality in Western Expresso. For anyone else who wants to punch down on the poor and destitute, maybe they should do it there (or not at all).

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 9:30 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

take a 50yr aproach instead of these 4 yr cycles and u will start to see change

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
It is like the wild west with crazies out there and progressively getting worse. Just last week a neighbor in our apartment left her car running while going to run up and grab something, forgot to re-lock it but took the keys, and someone was apparently watching, stole their car (key wasn’t even inside but it was keyless so I guess it stayed on and could drive??), and they went on a little cruise before dropping it off at the front of The Lighthouse. The lack of rule downtown means it’s a rule less free range of actions - usually going to jail is a treat since it’s in better shape than our social assistance and social housing. Very unfortunate.
Good thing you are moving to Calgary soon. There are no problems with addictions, homelessness or theft there.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 4:29 AM

Hope you’re over on the Calgs threads King Ralph I will miss you most if not

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I'll add my anecdotal two-cents to this. I live on 5th ave as well, in Saskatoon Tower. Tenants here have a Facebook group, and over the past few months there have been almost daily reports of petty crimes occurring in the building and the parkade. For example, yesterday a neighbor posted that they'd kicked a couple of people smoking meth out of our front lobby at 7am. Thefts from vehicles are common, there are ongoing issues with vandalism and crime in common areas, including the theft of mail and laundry, and even with 24-hour security vagrancy has been such an issue that we can't even have a couch in our front lobby anymore.

Now, my political interests are probably more or less aligned with djforsberg's on this issue (as they've expressed them here, at least). I see all of this disorder as the result of systemic problems caused by conservative approaches to social welfare. Judging from the Facebook page of my neighbors, I suspect that most are sympathetic to that view as well. However, harping dogmatically about historical government malaise becomes redundant and doesn't address the day-to-day frustrations caused by, say, having someone do $5000 worth of damage to your car. Tenants here are doing things like organizing meetings with the police, communicating with management, and building networks via social media to help boost their/our collective sense of safety. That kind of community-building is needed right now. Simply saying "this is a systemic, government-caused issue" is not helpful except in the abstract. If someone steals my laundry, I can absolutely be pissed off at them while still recognizing that their actions took place in a larger social context. It's not about exclusively "blaming the individual" or exclusively "blaming the government" --- these issues can't be reduced to that kind of either/or, and any attempt to do so will ultimately work at cross-purposes to real attempts to improve people's lives. In the end, this type of hair-splitting drives apart people who are probably more or less in agreement about these issues.

Now, I realize that there exists a subforum for political discussions, so I'll bend this to urban development. My neighbors here are all people who have decided to make an investment in our downtown. However, on our Facebook group, it is clear that many people are reaching their breaking point. People here frequently talk about moving out of the downtown because of the crime in this building and our neighborhood. Some are in the process of breaking their leases and moving right now. I've been reflecting on Ken Achs' recent idiotic and hyperbolic ramblings, and although I think he's wrong on most of the issues he discusses in his latest "downtown is dying" screed, it's undeniable that downtown is widely viewed as a place that is in decline. My thought has always been that (in the short-term, say 5-10 years, and alongside comprehensive government- and community-led engagements) our downtown really just needs more people living here, and that half a dozen apartment towers through the core would do more good than things like a new arena or convention centre --- which is not to say that apartments or an arena are mutually exclusive, only that massive, marquee investments like an arena are a limited form of community building. However, when I listen to the views and experiences of my neighbors in this building, I feel skeptical about downtown's future. If people don't want to live here, including people who have been making that investment in the core for years, then how likely is it that those half a dozen towers will appear? I think that COVID has forced the core to a crossroads --- will downtown rebuild and become a more livable place for everyone, or will people in this city continue to look elsewhere, say to the fields flanking the envisioned freeway?

Last edited by Roquentin; Feb 18, 2022 at 11:28 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 1:36 PM
BANNED

I totally understand the frustration and I feel for any victim of crime. I’m just trying to keep the conversation… constructive. You said you have a Facebook group to discuss these things and that is likely a better place for it then constantly complaining about the “crazies” on here. Talking about solutions is constructive and my approach is obviously by holding those in power to account while others might have other ideas…

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 3:04 PM

It definitely has to do with politics, but like I noted above I don’t think NDP or SaskParty will fix it.. it’s a massive issue very hard to fix. Ryan Meili just resigned this morning so it’s not like the complaints SaskParty is getting are holding a ton of weight ha. Business buddies of SaskParty are definitely mad about it too.

It’s comforting to know that all of our fifth hour towers are going through the same pain.. we have surprisingly fixed a lot of it with a few quick hits:

-outside door now locks at 8pm and doesn’t open until 7am and NO outside buzzer - we found that a lot of folks with “friends” get access to this codes and they’ll remember it
-about $30k in security cameras with facial recognition
-new very very bright lights EVERYWHERE outside lol
-security on weekends - patrols of our parkade
-new locks in and out of every single door - even if they get into the parkade or a hallway they can’t get into
-restricting airbnb’s - no locks allowed on the front for short term rentals - it wasn’t the issue of normal airbnb people, but we have a few slumlords that inherited condos here and they rent out to folks without vetting them, and part of our condo became The Lighthouse for a short time there lol.
-locks on laundry rooms on each floor - folks were pooping in them lol
-brand new $10k steel anti break in door for our garbage area as too many people were stealing our salt and shovels

It’s like living in a maximum security country, but desperate times called for desperate measures lol. Other than our surface parking lot we have seen a dramatic decrease. We could consider a BIG beautiful WALL for our surface parking lot next. In all honesty we could build a very beautiful one to beautify Saskatoon/hide our ugly surface parking? ha

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 5:26 PM

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 7:59 PM

Beautiful! It's nice to see them use a prime space at the top of the city for a common space. They did a nice job too with the columns and the ceiling.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 2:15 AM

Whats being built on the north side of 11th st out the west end of the city?
(Across from the new storage place).

Lots of places went up for sale along 11th recently. (Gas station at the highway, a couple acreages, commercial land, Gregs grocery lot).

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 2:38 PM

The walls are going up! So exciting to see this project start up again. What a beautiful addition to downtown and will look amazing next to the new library. I’m very excited to see it lit up at night.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 11:33 PM

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 11:36 PM

Quote:
what is this construction for?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2022, 3:51 PM

I can’t find the link anymore, but they were advertising as “commercial condos” and it looked like a weird hybrid parking lot commercial thing lol. Maybe they have a tenant if it’s not listed anymore.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2022, 3:55 PM

Old Posted Feb 28, 2022, 9:00 PM
Unregistered User

Have there been any updates regarding the Moosomin Downs project? It came to mind for some reason, and when I googled there were no updates since the initial round of announcements back in May/June 2021. At that point it sounded like a done deal, but there has been nothing but crickets since then. Anyone have any inside scoop?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan