HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 21, 2022, 4:57 PM

I noticed that this might have broken ground. Saw some heavy equipment on site:

https://sfyimby.com/2020/10/permits-...francisco.html

Old Posted Apr 21, 2022, 7:51 PM

Excited to finally see Foster's renderings for the redesigned/reworked Transamerica adjacent commercial building at 545 Sansome St.

Very promising and surprisingly attractive given the constraints of the existing structure and small, attached lot.

More info on SF Chronicle here.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2022, 9:17 PM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by slock View Post
I noticed that this might have broken ground. Saw some heavy equipment on site:

https://sfyimby.com/2020/10/permits-...francisco.html
I'd noticed this the other day too, and it piqued my interest, but haven't seen it move since then, so this could just be storage (which the lot has been used for over the last few years). I keep meaning to wander over to get a better idea, and your post should help give me the nudge I need, haha

I'll follow up in the Mission Bay thread

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 2:43 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

545 Sansome looks amazing!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post
Excited to finally see Foster's renderings for the redesigned/reworked Transamerica adjacent commercial building at 545 Sansome St.

Very promising and surprisingly attractive given the constraints of the existing structure and small, attached lot.

More info on SF Chronicle here.
I love it, fantastic addition

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 3:26 PM
Show me the blueprints

Oh yeah that's nice

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 11:01 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post

Agreed. Looks to be very high quality work. Much better than the original renderings.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 11:07 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
SF to purchase another homeless hotel at 12th and Folsom, this one for families

By Joe Kukura - Published on April 27, 2022.

Tuesday night was District 6 Supervisor Matt Haney’s final Board of Supervisors meeting, as he just won a state Assembly seat and is off to Sacramento. But one of his final votes late Tuesday night was the unanimous approval of a $145 million purchase of the Common City Gardens Apartments at 333 12th Street (at Folsom Street), a facility with 200 family-friendly, multi-room units that will be used to house families experiencing homelessness.

It’s the latest in a spree of San Francisco City Hall officials buying up hotels to shelter the homeless population. But this particular hotel purchase is unique, as it is intended for homeless families with multiple children. As seen in the graphic above, this property offers 14 five bedroom units, 88 four-bedroom units, and 98 two-bedroom units.

“We know families are struggling to afford housing in San Francisco, and getting such a large new building dedicated to family affordable housing is huge,” Haney told the Chronicle last month, when the proposal was still in the works.

Certainly $145 million sounds like a steep price tag. But the city is pulling in substantial new revenue from the 2018 Prop. C “homeless tax” fund, and is shrewdly and aggressively pursuing matching funds from federal and state Project Homekey programs. If homelessness is San Francisco’s most visible problem, and the budget is in surplus, then it does make sense to spend money addressing homelessness. And on a moral level, it also makes sense to prioritize sheltering families with kids.
https://hoodline.com/2022/04/sf-to-p...-for-families/

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 11:07 PM
你的媽媽

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 6:28 PM

I watched this one being built. I am shocked that the city is purchasing this new building. I support the city's purchasing housing for some of it's citizens but object to it purchasing luxury housing. Tax dollars could buy more if the money was spent wisely.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
I watched this one being built. I am shocked that the city is purchasing this new building. I support the city's purchasing housing for some of it's citizens but object to it purchasing luxury housing. Tax dollars could buy more if the money was spent wisely.
Quote:
Bay Briefing: The disastrous results of S.F.’s program to house homeless in hotels
Gwendolyn Wu
April 26, 2022

. . . Thousands of people have been left to languish and even die in the city’s supportive housing single-room-occupancy hotels, which have been lauded as a tool to manage the homelessness crisis. The buildings are overseen by a city agency that reports directly to Mayor London Breed.

Chronicle reporters Joaquin Palomino and Trisha Thadani visited 16 buildings, interviewed more than 150 residents and frontline workers and reviewed tens of thousands of pages of public records.

Their investigation found that leaders have for years neglected the SROs, leaving many residents trying to rebuild their lives in increasingly desperate situations.

Among the findings:

• Of the 515 SRO tenants tracked by S.F. after leaving permanent supportive housing in 2020, a quarter died while in the program. An additional 21% returned to homelessness.

• At least 166 people fatally overdosed in city-funded hotels in 2020 and 2021.

• Since 2016, the year city leaders created the Department of Homelessness and Supportive Housing, the number of homeless people in the city has increased by 56%, according to data exclusively obtained by The Chronicle.

Read the full investigation.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...s-17126222.php

The upshot of all this is that most of these people aren't just without housing,. They are also socially dysfunctional people not capable of dealing with daily life like you and I. They therefore need lots of supportive services, preferably onsite, and, frankly, they need rules of behavior which, if they don't follow, results in ejection. You can't just stick them in housing, whether rat and roach-infested dumps or nice new housing like this. Without supervision and services this building may soon become a violent dump of its own. And the non-profit groups with which the city has contracted to provide some services seem to be failing. All I can say is I hope you can read the complete version of the investigation.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 8:47 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
This one states it's specifically for homeless families with multiple children, with 14 five bedroom units, 88 four-bedroom units, and 98 two-bedroom units.

It'd be difficult to convert old hotels into this type of housing, and you can't stuff families into SROs. I imagine most of the homeless people in SF don't have dependent children, but I'm sure there are some, and this would help meet this need.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
This one states it's specifically for homeless families with multiple children, with 14 five bedroom units, 88 four-bedroom units, and 98 two-bedroom units.

It'd be difficult to convert old hotels into this type of housing, and you can't stuff families into SROs. I imagine most of the homeless people in SF don't have dependent children, but I'm sure there are some, and this would help meet this need.
How does anybody have enough children to need 5 bedrooms with no means of supporting and housing them?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 9:25 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
How does anybody have enough children to need 5 bedrooms with no means of supporting and housing them?
Yeah I'm not sure. Even 4 bedrooms is a lot. Wish there were a way to split some of these up so there's more 2 or 3 bedroom units. Kids should be able to share rooms too. Nonetheless, I'm sure the city picked this particular building for a reason, so there must be some need for it.

Quote:
There are currently over 2,980 homeless children living in intact families in SF, this includes 2,293 homeless students enrolled in San Francisco Unified School District
https://www.cohsf.org/wp-content/upl...sness-2019.pdf

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 9:37 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Over 3,000 children are homeless in San Francisco
By Duncan Sinfield Published September 7, 2017

SAN FRANCISCO (KTVU) - Meadow Dawn Sylvester has been homeless for 18 months now.

It's 6:45 AM at the First Friendship shelter in San Francisco, with families trickling out, including Meadow Sylvester, her husband Aaron, and their 8 year-old son AJ.

"It really seems like to me that poor is the new thing to be prejudiced against," says Aaron Burrows.

The family of three sleep on a mat together with AJ in the middle, in a room filled with about 50 other homeless people.

"Many people snore... I hear this a lot of times, konk choo konk choo," says 8 year-old AJ Burrows.

Every morning, the three pack up and leave the shelter near Alamo Square at 7 AM.

That's when families are forced out, only to be allowed back in later in the afternoon.

"Every morning we walk about ten blocks just to get to the bus to get him to school."

Their first stop: A market and Peet's Coffee.

After dipping into the bank account, Meadow learns they only have $140 for the rest of the month. It's only the 12th of the month.

The family lives off Meadow's disability and Aaron's state welfare checks, which total $1,500 per month.

The Burrows say a long and drawn out landlord dispute -- coupled with skyrocketing rents -- forced them out of their Bayview appartment. 

"There's a mixture of looks you get but a lot of it is just people look disgusted," says Aaron Burrows.

Aaron suffers from social anxiety disorder. Meadow has PTSD. Both are recovering heroin addicts.

The family has been trying for five months to get into a shelter where they can have their own room and work toward more permanent housing.

Compass is a homeless advocacy group. Officials there say there are nearly 8,000 homeless people in San Francisco. A quarter of them are families with children.

It's like I go to these appointments, I fill out these applications, and it's so depressing," says Meadow.

Today she meets with a case worker who is trying to help.

"I think as of right now the average time that people are searching for housing can be from up to six months up to five years," says Rachel Stoltzfus, Assistant Program Manager of Housing at the Homeless Prenatal program.

The Burrows lost their Section 8 voucher, so finding a new home on $1,500 per month is nearly impossible

"The rents range now from for like a two bedroom it can be like an average of $ 4,800... It's really a miracle that families kind of survive the day to day grind"

Officials say the Burrows best bet is to find permanent supportive housing where there is onsite support and rent is adjusted based on income.
https://www.ktvu.com/news/over-3000-...-san-francisco

Old Posted Apr 30, 2022, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I agree there are a lot of homeless kids in the city, many of them without parents (runaways, orphans etc). They aren’t going to get large apartments.

They do get some support from me, however. My top charity is the Larkin Street Youth shelter. I recommend that one to others. They do good work and don’t waste taxpayer money.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 2:14 AM

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post

A piece of crap to replace a very nice looking building. The proposed remodel has no soul. This corner is an entrance to Union Square & should respected. This should not be allowed to happen.

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 4:33 PM
你的媽媽

Here's a nice recent shot showing the updated skyline from underneath the Bay Bridge.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc68CH7ufeG/

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 6:26 PM
你的媽媽

SF once again knocking it out of the park with their urban parks.

Quote:
'I'm in love with this place': San Francisco's biggest public park in nearly 40 years opens on Russian Hill

Silas Valentino, SFGATE
May 2, 2022

Eye level with Alcatraz and within earshot from the dinging bells of a Powell-Hyde cable car, Francisco Park may have just become the hottest new park in San Francisco.

Not too shabby for a recreational area that’s barely a week old and was previously cement, having once served as the city’s first reservoir.

The multiple entryways that lead into Francisco Park officially swung open to the public on April 27. The 4.5-acre property includes a ultramodern playground, dog park, annular grassy lawn and a historic area that celebrates its bygone hydraulic utility.

Boxed between Francisco, Larkin, Bay and Hyde streets, and a few blocks from the backside of the iconic Ghirardelli sign, Francisco Park may appeal to just about every San Franciscan.

The Francisco Reservoir was built in 1860 to provide water to the northern part of the city as the population of San Francisco expanded every year following the Gold Rush. At the time, 2.5 million gallons of water were contained in the chamber, which proved essential in 1906, when fires caused by the earthquake were extinguished with its water linked to nearby hydrants. By 1940, the reservoir was decommissioned following the construction of the higher Lombard Street Reservoir.

In 2014, the Board of Supervisors voted to transfer the defunct Francisco Reservoir from the public utilities commission to the Recreation and Parks Department to create a new public park. “This is an opportunity to create from concrete and chain-link fence, a new public park for the generations," then-Supervisor Mark Farrell said at the time.

Today, it's the biggest park to open in the city’s urban core in nearly 40 years, since Potrero del Sol opened in 1983.

The park spans two city blocks and on the upper level is a playground with tire swings, slides and a mini ropes course that resembles a flat spider’s web. On one side, this top level is a community garden that was recently planted while the other side features the historic area paying tribute to the dismantled reservoir.

A couple of features remain, including the original berm with sloping concrete walls. Beneath Hyde Street is an opening to see some of the former inner organs of the city. The float valve, once used to stop water inflow when it was at capacity, remains intact, as does the drain that cuts through the brick-laid floor.
https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...o-17137324.php

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations