HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Diagrams & Database > Diagrams

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 10:08 PM
DENNAB

Potential database inconsistency: Roof heights vs crown heights.

This is a bit subjective I guess but I noticed when looking through the tallest buildings by roof in the USA that the Salesforce Tower in San Francisco is visually well behind where it should be, unless the semi open air LED cap doesn't officially count as a roof.

If that's the case I could see that but Steinway Tower in NYC is also open air yet is listed at 1,428 feet to the roof. In reality it's more like 1,257 w/o the open air crown.

One could argue Salesforce's roof is at 1,070' though, sure looks like it from the aerial photos as there is mechanical equipment on top.

Image credit: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...lesforce-tower

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 11:39 PM

Delete

Last edited by CRKMRRMK; Nov 2, 2023 at 8:31 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 4:34 PM
I am the law!

One height is hardly a solution. Antennae aren't officially considered part of a building's architectural structure. Our community is equally divided on whether architectural spires should be officially counted. No one would take SSP seriously.

More precise instructions on roof height and top floor height may have dealt with some of these inconsistencies however, the only way to truly address inconsistencies is an oversight committee that checks all the edits as buildings are inherently inconsistent/ bespoke from one another. That's not practical for a volunteer site.

Some editors go crazy with listing every single function preformed in a building. Others only list the main (I wish SSP allowed more than one main usage) and significant side usages above ground. It all adds to the site's ambiance

Another one. 0 should be displayed for structures without any basement. I'm a stats guy. Understandably, building specs are secondary in SSP database

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 4:45 PM

Delete

Last edited by CRKMRRMK; Nov 2, 2023 at 8:31 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 4:52 PM
I am the law!

That makes zero sense. Illustrators just draw buildings. Editors are the ones that research and input heights.

Editors can be illustrators. Editors don't have to be Illustrators. I'm the latter.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 6:01 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
One height is hardly a solution. Antennae aren't officially considered part of a building's architectural structure. Our community is equally divided on whether architectural spires should be officially counted. No one would take SSP seriously.

More precise instructions on roof height and top floor height may have dealt with some of these inconsistencies however, the only way to truly address inconsistencies is an oversight committee that checks all the edits as buildings are inherently inconsistent/ bespoke from one another. That's not practical for a volunteer site.
Measuring the height of a building is surprisingly complicated lol.

Can the Salesforce Tower be updated to 1,070' / 326m to the roof? If buildings like Steinway or the London Shard can count their tops then so can Salesforce IMO.

I suppose it doesn't really matter but SSP should uphold its reputation of being as fair, consistent and accurate as possible

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 6:51 PM
I am the law!

I agree with you. However, what becomes of the current 295 metre roof height. CTBUH has the top floor as 276 metres. Are the heights in SSP for an older version when there were parapets above a mechanical penthouse instead of an enclosed area ? Is CTBUH just wrong? Could be. I count 6 floors of spandrel glass which would be around 26 metres in height. I don't have all the info.

As for The Shard, the fins or let's call them shards extending out of the top of the building's structure appear a lot taller than the 5.5 metres in the diagrams.

nevermind. elevations are abundant for this tower

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 7:02 AM
Website Manager

There is some inconsistenty in how heights are recorded and compared in the website. The database collects "roof" heights but are those always the horizontal roof structure or the parapet which could be around the roof and a few meters taller? More work will need to be done on this in the future.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 2:29 PM
I am the law!

A Parapet is a wall. The facade that extends above the BMU tracks on Salesforce is the traditional sense of a parapet. The crown below the BMU track and above the mechanical roof is inbetween our definitions. It's like a modern version of a hipped roof on a classic skyscraper like Chrysler in New York. I don't know if the hipped roof is included in the roof or spire height for that tower. The half of the community opposed to the inclusion of spires in official counts would treated the hipped roof separate from the spire. That makes sense to me although I'm indifferent.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 8:58 PM
Illustrator

I think there is a grey between roof and spire. In order not to add a fourth height, I would replace spire with top height or something similar (and that would include spires, pinnacles, parapets, small chimneys or water tanks, which are an integral part of the building, but not the actual roof).

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 7:21 AM
Editor/Ilustrador/Mod

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 11:32 AM
Website Manager

The building height database was designed when using roof and spire heights was the convention. the database also allowed for antenna heights, and summerized all three in pinnacle height. other known heights for a building can be added to the database, such as lower setbacks.

Then eventually, using architectural height became preferred, but the database has never been adjusted to properly take this into account. An overhaul of this part of the building database will need to be done.

(also, this thread should really stay in the main diagrams section of the forum since it's discussing a main part of the diagrams system)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Diagrams & Database > Diagrams