HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 10:38 PM

[QUOTE=bzcat;7637988]A third option that I think is possible is to route the Vermont line north towards Wilshire/Vermont but go east of the intersection. We can probably build a parallel station and link the two with some sort of walkway but this will require Metro to acquire some existing (potentially expensive) properties. [QUOTE]

Couldn't we do that, but then continue the Vermont line up and connect it into the red line between Wilshire/Vermont and Wilshire/Beverly? It would require shutting down the line between those stations, but passengers going from farther up the corridor would be able to use the Measure M funded BRT line, and if Crenshaw North goes up La Brea, as I have proposed above, passengers from the Valley and Hollywood to Downtown could get there with a transfer at Hollywood/La Brea and at Wilshire/La Brea. That way, the Purple Line won't ever need to be shut down. Come to think of it, if my full Crenshaw North/Boulevard Line proposal is built out (see below), passengers could also transfer at Vermont/Santa Monica to get to Union Station. What this really all shows is that you need service redundancy to be able to shut down lines for a long time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
Vermont corridor doesn't have a strong political base to argue for priority. It is divided into several different city council districts and county supervisors, AND it is ethnically fragmented. The northern part is Korean and Latino, the middle part is Latino and USC, and the southern part is mostly Black. They don't all share the same transit pattern and experiences so these groups aren't on the same page with each other as the SGV elected officials are on Gold line extensions.
I'm not sure "ethnic fragmentation" has anything to do with it. Every transit project in the county goes through multiple jurisdictions or city council districts with the notable exception of the regional connector. Vermont corridor rail actually would travel exclusively through Supervisorial district 2, province of one Mark Ridley-Thomas, current Chair of the Metro Board of Directors and former City Councilmember representing Historic South Central. Not to mention that Vermont Rail has been discussed at least as far back as the 70s when South Central was almost uniformly black.
http://libraryarchives.metro.net/DPG...oncept_map.jpg

Vermont Subway gets indefinitely postponed because it runs through the county's most impoverished neighborhoods, and because the 2/3 coalition required to fund this kind of project favors boondoggles for suburban voters over solid transit projects for transit riders.

Also it is a mischaracterization to say that SGV electeds are all on the same page about anything, much less transit or the gold line extensions.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 12:01 AM

And also CDs don't set priorities for these ballot measures, COGs do. South LA is in the Central LA COG which unlike all the others consists of just one city. Garcetti set the priorities here and opted to put his political capital behind the Crenshaw line. That's really all there is to it.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 4:20 AM

In my opinion, and I may get a lot of slack for this, I really never considered the entire Vermont corridor necessarily needing heavy rail. Vermont gets really wide south of gage, so wide to the point that metro could slap LRT down the median and call it a day... Maybe even wide enough beginning at Slauson. But that tricky little section between the 10 and Slauson I foresee getting killed politically just on the basis that the Vermont corridor is far from being one of the denser corridors in the county that could actually use the heavy construction for HRT. I know we all wish that our rails were either grad separated or buried but truth be told, density to warrant the construction costs falls off quickly once you're south of the 10. In the minds of politicians, They can care less if the stop lights/traffic cause our trips to be an extra 15-20 mins a trip, especially if it means doing it the LRT way means they save billions but at the same time get the job done.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 5:13 AM

"far from being one of the denser corridors in the county"

Please explain!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
In my opinion, and I may get a lot of slack for this, I really never considered the entire Vermont corridor necessarily needing heavy rail. Vermont gets really wide south of gage, so wide to the point that metro could slap LRT down the median and call it a day... Maybe even wide enough beginning at Slauson. But that tricky little section between the 10 and Slauson I foresee getting killed politically just on the basis that the Vermont corridor is far from being one of the denser corridors in the county that could actually use the heavy construction for HRT. I know we all wish that our rails were either grad separated or buried but truth be told, density to warrant the construction costs falls off quickly once you're south of the 10. In the minds of politicians, They can care less if the stop lights/traffic cause our trips to be an extra 15-20 mins a trip, especially if it means doing it the LRT way means they save billions but at the same time get the job done.
LRT subways have just as much capacity as HRT subways.

HRT is better for fully grade-separated corridors because using third rail allows for smaller tunnel diameters (cheaper subway construction) and less obtrusive elevated secions (no poles and wires hanging overhead.)

There's no question that any rail transit on Vermont should be built either at-grade or elevated south of Gage. The question is, should it be fully elevated, or should it be partially at-grade. That would be based on the capacity question; would a surface alignment have enough capacity. Surface alignments have lower capacity because of things like impact to traffic (if given full signal pre-emption), maximum allowed speed (typically, when in a median, no faster than the speed limit for cars), average running speed (which can be slow enough to impact capacity if signal priority, rather than pre-emption, is used), road block length (limits how long trains can be), etc. Some of these factors can be mitigated by adding grade separations to a surface alignment.

You can build heavy rail at grade too, but usually that's only done in existing railroad corridors due to the need for full grade separation because of the third rail.

If a fully elevated alignment is required due to the above constraints, then Heavy Rail would actually probably be cheaper and also more desirable. If any portion of the line is to be at-grade, then Light Rail is the better choice.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 9:06 PM

To me it's really no debate. With a thoroughfare as busy as Vermont, grade-separation is the way to go.

After all the nonsense the Expo & Blue Lines have caused on Flower St., I'm pretty much done with at-grade rail crossings. At least in the busiest parts of LA, anyway.

Is elevated way more expensive? Hell yes, probably 5 times, but traffic impact is WAY less of a headache especially as more and more (and more) cars come on the roads every single year, which is a fact I think a lot of fiscal transit people forget.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 4:27 AM
Show me the blueprints

Seems Metro needs to learn how to build trench cost effectively. This seems like a good compromise between at grade crossings and tunneling.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 2:40 PM

My dream is that LA Metro will reach San Bernardino again.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Electric

Source: http://www.pacificelectric.org/

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmartman View Post
My dream is that LA Metro will reach San Bernardino again.
For distances like that, I think an upgraded, electrified Metrolink would be more appropriate, but I'd love to see better integration between metro and Metrolink.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Seems Metro needs to learn how to build trench cost effectively. This seems like a good compromise between at grade crossings and tunneling.
LA area *definitely* knows how to build trenches effectively - witness the Alameda Corridor. 10 mile, triple track trench for $712 million in 2002 (approximately $1 billion today)

However, For Vermont south of Gage, there is no need for even a trench. The corridor is extremely wide. The question is whether surface (LRT) or elevated (HRT) alignment will be appropriate.

Even the surface LRT option would have some elevated grade separations at major intersections. This could not be done for the Alameda trench, because freight trains can't climb steep enough grades to go up over a street and then come back down, which made a full trench necessary.

My take is that a full viaduct it is probably NOT necessary from a traffic or capacity standpoint, but it may make sense economically since Heavy Rail would actually make the tunnel segment cheaper, and the cost difference on the tunnels might be enough to make up for the extra cost of a full elevated alignment.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMP View Post
"far from being one of the denser corridors in the county"

Please explain!
LOL I used to drive down Vermont frequently for work and school (USC), It is very dense, no doubt about it, BUT, I'm talking about the section of Vermont that is immediately south of the 10, where the density falls off substantially once you get pass the coliseum and USC, where the density starts to mirror that of the area around the blue line... BUT, there are at least 5-6 corridors in the central city area (Bounded by the 10 to the south, santa monica to the west, downtown to the east and the Hollywood hills/santa monica mountains to the north) That can actually throw a flag up and say "HEY WE NEED HRT!". I didn't make myself clear for what section of Vermont I'm talking about. But on my list of dense(r), busier corridors, I wouldn't place Vermont in the top 5 (the section south of the 10) but if it were the section north of the 10, I wouldn't accept anything other than HRT the entire way.

Now what I'm saying is, for the sake of saving money, Vermont widens up very VERY wide once its south of Gage (even google maps regular view shows the street doubling in width) So.... Once it hits Slauson or Gage, purely for the sake of cost, it needs to come out of the ground and either be elevated (Hello bart) or be fully guarded but cruise in the median. If that makes sense..

Last edited by caligrad; Dec 2, 2016 at 6:45 PM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
LRT subways have just as much capacity as HRT subways.

HRT is better for fully grade-separated corridors because using third rail allows for smaller tunnel diameters (cheaper subway construction) and less obtrusive elevated secions (no poles and wires hanging overhead.)

There's no question that any rail transit on Vermont should be built either at-grade or elevated south of Gage. The question is, should it be fully elevated, or should it be partially at-grade. That would be based on the capacity question; would a surface alignment have enough capacity. Surface alignments have lower capacity because of things like impact to traffic (if given full signal pre-emption), maximum allowed speed (typically, when in a median, no faster than the speed limit for cars), average running speed (which can be slow enough to impact capacity if signal priority, rather than pre-emption, is used), road block length (limits how long trains can be), etc. Some of these factors can be mitigated by adding grade separations to a surface alignment.

You can build heavy rail at grade too, but usually that's only done in existing railroad corridors due to the need for full grade separation because of the third rail.

If a fully elevated alignment is required due to the above constraints, then Heavy Rail would actually probably be cheaper and also more desirable. If any portion of the line is to be at-grade, then Light Rail is the better choice.
And that's all I'm saying. I'm well aware of the price differentials with LRT and HRT rail and even subway versions of both and the benefits. I just think we have the technology at this point to be able to have a single system utilize both. South of Gage (purely for the sake of costs) needs to come out of the ground and either be elevated which shouldn't be a problem or be at grade which (if its going all the way to San Pedro) might be a problem. But either way, Vermont is an important corridor for transit no doubt, BUT south of Gage and maybe even Slauson, it needs to come out of the ground sense density quickly drops off into single family homes and sections of 2-3 story apartment buildings here and there.

But, maybe an at grade system that elevates over or dives under the main east/west roads might work and the system could still utilize the 3rd rail. But I foresee residents complaining "we have to drive all the way around just to make a left hand turn" if it were to block some of the side streets which is something they will have to get used to.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 5:32 AM

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun View Post
Yes is certainly is. While certain corridors, like LAUS-San Diego and LAUS-San Bernardino should be electrified, imagine a network of DMUs running hourly to Santa Barbara, or every 15 minutes to Chatsworth or Riverside. The trains small size makes it absolutely reasonable and appropriate for demand, provided that the tracks the trains run on become publicly owned.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 8:36 AM

Has there ever been any discussion of reviving the Pacific Electric line that runs along the 10 towards El Monte and Covina?

Seems like it would be an effective way to reach the densest parts of the SGV and possibly a better alignment to ultimately reach San Dimas/Clairemont.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car(e)-Free LA View Post
Yes is certainly is. While certain corridors, like LAUS-San Diego and LAUS-San Bernardino should be electrified, imagine a network of DMUs running hourly to Santa Barbara, or every 15 minutes to Chatsworth or Riverside. The trains small size makes it absolutely reasonable and appropriate for demand, provided that the tracks the trains run on become publicly owned.
Sorry for my lack of expertise here, but is the idea that since you can easily add and substract trains to match demand, you can run smaller, more frequent trains along these corridors with DMU? But when it comes to LA freight corridors, doesn't capacity of a single track become the same issue it is with traditional metrolink trains?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKid View Post
Sorry for my lack of expertise here, but is the idea that since you can easily add and substract trains to match demand, you can run smaller, more frequent trains along these corridors with DMU? But when it comes to LA freight corridors, doesn't capacity of a single track become the same issue it is with traditional metrolink trains?
That would still be an issue. What DMUs change, is they make it realistic to run trains every 10-15 minutes, making Metrolink more of a faster, longer distance Metro system, rather than a commuter rail system.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
Has there ever been any discussion of reviving the Pacific Electric line that runs along the 10 towards El Monte and Covina?

Seems like it would be an effective way to reach the densest parts of the SGV and possibly a better alignment to ultimately reach San Dimas/Clairemont.
Probably not in our lifetimes.

Metrolink takes up the western half of this ROW. Though on that note, I wonder if it would be more effective for the San Bernardino line to run on the ACE ROW? Yeah you lose CalState LA, but you also gain San Gabriel, Alhambra and Lincoln Park/LACUSC Medical.

Anyway, the eastern half of the ROW is basically gone. Once it separates from the freeway it runs along Ramona Blvd; this whole section in El Monte and Baldwin Park has long been built on with businesses and townhomes. By the time Ramona turns into Badillo in West Covina, the ROW practically disappears.

The old Vineland substation is pretty much the only visible remnant left of this PE route this far out.

Last edited by JDRCRASH; Dec 4, 2016 at 2:59 AM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car(e)-Free LA View Post
I'd love to see that. Once the through-tracks are built at Union Station the possibilities abound.

A Metrolink line from Santa Barbara to Oceanside would be dope. Basically a mini Surfliner, only way faster.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation