HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
That China terminal looks terrible. Having been in too many of those "showplace" terminals, I get a headache just looking at the pic.

The developing world terminals are usually functionally horrible. Flyers want reliability, convenience and comfort, not deafening, inefficient echo chambers. Give me good coffee, carpeted floors (no terrazzo, please!) and a business class lounge.
I don’t think beauty and functionality need to be competing. I stand by hating the design. Looking at the JFK renders - looks cheesy to me. Nothing elevated about them at all - especially when the administration is making claims that it will be the best airport on earth….

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 10:35 PM
Show me the blueprints

I'd have to agree, especially in light of how impressive LGA is turning out to be. I'm not a huge fan of this idea that you've got to splash iconography and imagery of the city all over the place like it's a big tourism ad in place of what should be prioritizing impressive architecture that speaks for itself. Not a fan of the cheesy giant skyline photos, just look out the window, unless of course these things are just lazy placeholders by the rendering artists. A few punchy gestures is all you need. I dig the Checker cab sitting on top of the baggage carousel, even if that takes some cognitive dissidence to absorb, being that they haven't been an icon of NYC for 30 years now. Let the other gestures speak for themselves in the form iconic restaurant outposts in the terminal, etc. A tucked away little passenger comfort area could look just like a NYC park with the hexagon pavers and the cast iron lampposts. Stuff like that. The only thing cooler than a doorway to the restrooms that looked like you were entering a subway car would be, wait for it, I don't know, maybe an ACTUAL subway train pulling in just paces from departing the baggage claim??? Seriously though when are we going to start talking about a JFK Express again? Have we just accepted the stupid AirTrain as our only and permanent reality? Look at a map. Express trains should come from Penn (or GCT using ESA, or both??) via the old abandoned Rockaway Branch with branded platform experiences at those stations that set the airport train apart from any other commuter train like you'd see in Europe. And a tunnel under Conduit Ave should take another route to the Atlantic Ave tunnel to Brooklyn and eventually Lower Manhattan ($$$). This might necessitate a new Atalntic Ave tunnel or a rebuilt/expanded one to create 4 tracks to Atlantic Terminal but the tunnel is like 140 years old so maybe that's not a bad idea anyway. A route from Lower Manhattan may be a PA project anyway so who knows what that would look like in terms of operation with LIRR.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 7:19 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...3447806/%3Famp

$9.5 Billion World-Class JFK Terminal Eyes Groundbreaking in 2022 After Pandemic Delay

December 13, 2021

Quote:
The 2.4 million square foot state-of-the-art terminal will anchor the airport's south side. The Port Authority reached a revised agreement with a consortium of financial sponsors in order to get the massive project off the ground, the governor said.

It initially had been slated to begin in 2020 but was postponed due to the pandemic's impact on air travel.

The $9.5 billion mega-project will be built in phases and create 6,000 construction jobs for a total of more than 10,000 new jobs. When completed, The New Terminal One will be the largest international terminal at JFK, Hochul said.

"As we recover from this pandemic, I want to ensure that everyone traveling to New York has a welcoming and streamlined experience and that New Yorkers have the modernized transportation hubs they deserve," Hochul said. "The time to get large infrastructure projects done is now, and I'm committed to getting JFK's brand new Terminal One underway and completed as soon as possible."
Quote:
The New Terminal One will be built on the sites of the current undersized and outdated Terminal 1 and Terminal 2, as well as the site of the former Terminal 3, which was demolished in 2013.

Construction of the new terminal is scheduled to begin in mid-2022 and the first phase, including the new arrivals and departures hall and first set of new gates, is expected to open in 2026.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 9:23 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

New Terminal One project at JFK brings bonanza of community benefits to southeast Queens

Quote:
Southeast Queens elected officials and business leaders celebrated the Holy Grail of economic development when they helped Gov. Kathy Hochul break ground on the massive $9.5 billion new Terminal One at JFK Airport on Sept. 9.

The project is expected to create thousands of total jobs, including more than 6,000 construction positions in addition to its “copious community benefits,” according to Queens Borough President Donovan Richards.

“It’s a truly historic day for Queens and the millions of travelers we welcome to our city via Kennedy Airport as we break ground on one of the biggest infrastructure and economic development projects in our borough’s history,” Richards said. “With the creation of at least 10,000 jobs, many of which will go to local residents, and millions of dollars in contracts to Queens businesses, the brand-new Terminal One will be an indescribably important boost to the Queens economy, the critically important aviation industry and the region as a whole.”

U.S. Rep. Gregory Meeks, who co-chaired the Community Advisory Council with Richards, said the “historic infrastructure project” will have a positive effect on southeast Queens.

“The billions of dollars invested in this transformative project will create thousands of good jobs and Minority and Women Business Enterprises (MWBE) owned and local contracting opportunities, among other benefits,” Meeks said. “I look forward to continuing to work with all our partners to realize the robust workforce development programs, business development opportunities, educational programs and environmental sustainability commitments for the neighborhoods surrounding JFK.”

Councilwoman Selvena Brooks-Powers served as manager of external affairs and community outreach for the Port Authority.

“Already an international transportation hub, JFK International Airport will truly be a fulcrum of construction jobs, MWBE entrepreneurial opportunity, and world-class transportation on the East Coast,” Brooks-Powers said. “I look forward to working with my elected colleagues to expand access to small and MWBE businesses in southeast Queens, create scholastic opportunities for our young people and provide infrastructure opportunities for the JFK Redevelopment project.”

Council Speaker Adams hailed the project as a key economic engine in southeast Queens.

“This project will also improve local roadways and infrastructure, which is critical for the advancement of the communities around the airport,” Adams said. “As the transformation of JFK Airport moves forward, I look forward to continued partnership with all stakeholders to ensure southeast Queens and all New Yorkers benefit from these crucial investments.”
==========================
https://qns.com/2022/09/new-terminal...eens-electeds/

Old Posted Oct 10, 2023, 11:46 PM
"Think about the Future"

Post New JFK Terminal 1

Why Tugboats Are Key to the $19 Billion Overhaul of Kennedy Airport

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/10/n...on-barges.html
Quote:
To turn New York City’s outmoded Kennedy Airport into a collection of gleaming, modern terminals connected by smooth, untangled roadways, you must start with one of nature’s most basic building blocks: tons and tons of rocks.

Quote:
But J.F.K., set hard against Jamaica Bay and surrounded by dense neighborhoods and congested highways, is not the easiest place to deliver hundreds of truckloads of stone each day. So, the pathway to unlocking the future of international air travel in New York will be on the water.

Barges, pushed and pulled by tugboats, have started wending over a series of waterways, carrying the basic ingredients of the $19 billion project that officials hope will transform the long-maligned airport. Overhauling J.F.K., one of the world’s busiest airports, is replete with engineering challenges, like how to circumvent metropolitan region’s overburdened roadways.

The journey these mounds of rocks and sand are taking is a daylong float down the Hudson River, through New York Harbor, under the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge, past Coney Island and across the bay to a makeshift dock at the western edge of the airport.
credit - NYTimes

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development