HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
I'm so sorry
Well, in college, the look of the dorm wasn't a priority. That building didn't have AC though, so that sucked.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 1:11 AM

The Planning Commission voted down the Citizens Bank branch which was proposed to replace the Mellon Bank in East Liberty. They did so unanimously, and for all the right reasons, noting that taking the entire site into account a fairly substantial building was being replaced with a small one-story structure fronting on Penn, with a new surface parking lot directly on Centre.

I agree with this decision - which is a rarity when it comes to Planning Commission rejections these days. I would guess that this is going to make Citizens Bank ultimately abandon the project, because what the commission wants from the project (substantial massing, maybe mixed use, no surface parking) is not what a bank is looking for when it comes to a branch.

That said, I can't help but note in February the Commission approved a new one-story bank building directly next door at the former CVS site. Yes, the CVS is not a historic building, and they did some things better (like pulling the surface parking away from Centre). But it's a very similar project - a tiny single-story bank branch with a surface parking lot. Most depressingly, the new Chase branch there means there's no chance for the (small, oddly shaped) block to be consolidated under common ownership, which is the only way you'd really see a mixed-use building being feasible on the site.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 5:08 PM

Maybe there's a chance for that building to be saved and rehabbed correctly now? In the right architect's hands, that thing could have an absolutely stunning reuse as a restaurant / bar / cafe. In a larger city, someone with a vision would be all over that thing.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
And now begins the "watering down, cheapening up" phase of the Lower Hill redevelopment...

Penguins tweak plans for live music venue at former Civic Arena site

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/202210030097
  • The Penguins are revamping plans for a live music venue at the former Civic Arena site, scrapping a proposed outdoor section because of concerns about noise and economics.

• As originally planned, the venue was to be built on top of a 900-space parking garage. The two structures now will be built next to each other at the corner of Wylie and Logan Street.

• They also are proposing to eliminate two streets that were originally planned in the upper part of the site near Crawford Square.

• And at the lower end of the property, part of Wylie Avenue will be replaced with open space leading into Frankie Pace Park, which connects the Hill to Downtown.

• The goal is to centralize the open space and create a gateway into the Hill. The same rationale applies in creating a park at the lower end near the new 26-story office tower anchored by First National Bank rather than extending Wylie to Washington Place. Which seems to translate as, "create a central plaza that is disconnected from the Hill and Downtown".

From this:

Bring in Desmone... and get this:

My first thought on seeing these plans, besides the disappointment, is that finances are driving this. Not any desire for good urban planning. What this new design does is make it easier to get financing, increase revenue potential, and cut down maintenance costs. And, oh yes, cut off easy access by "those people" on the Hill.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Maybe there's a chance for that building to be saved and rehabbed correctly now? In the right architect's hands, that thing could have an absolutely stunning reuse as a restaurant / bar / cafe. In a larger city, someone with a vision would be all over that thing.
Yeah, I've thought (and said) this about the building for awhile now... could be a really cool restaurant/bar. Great space and location.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 8:51 PM
Northsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The Planning Commission voted down the Citizens Bank branch which was proposed to replace the Mellon Bank in East Liberty. They did so unanimously, and for all the right reasons, noting that taking the entire site into account a fairly substantial building was being replaced with a small one-story structure fronting on Penn, with a new surface parking lot directly on Centre.

I agree with this decision - which is a rarity when it comes to Planning Commission rejections these days. I would guess that this is going to make Citizens Bank ultimately abandon the project, because what the commission wants from the project (substantial massing, maybe mixed use, no surface parking) is not what a bank is looking for when it comes to a branch.

That said, I can't help but note in February the Commission approved a new one-story bank building directly next door at the former CVS site. Yes, the CVS is not a historic building, and they did some things better (like pulling the surface parking away from Centre). But it's a very similar project - a tiny single-story bank branch with a surface parking lot. Most depressingly, the new Chase branch there means there's no chance for the (small, oddly shaped) block to be consolidated under common ownership, which is the only way you'd really see a mixed-use building being feasible on the site.
Wasn't the city going to ban all new drive-throughs at one point? What happened to that?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 10:36 PM
East End Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMyWords View Post
My first thought on seeing these plans, besides the disappointment, is that finances are driving this. Not any desire for good urban planning. What this new design does is make it easier to get financing, increase revenue potential, and cut down maintenance costs. And, oh yes, cut off easy access by "those people" on the Hill.
Wow are these changes a major disappointment. If they keep this up it's going to look more sterile than the North Shore.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Wasn't the city going to ban all new drive-throughs at one point? What happened to that?
Looks like it passed City Council unanimously last December. It does stop new drive throughs in LNC and UNC zoned areas (among others) but it wouldn't affect this project since it's technically not a drive-through bank.

Last edited by eschaton; Oct 6, 2022 at 12:30 AM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 11:17 PM

I assumed that the purchase of the Penguins by the Fenway Sports Group was also a development play for the old Civic Arena site and that they would bring some urgency to the site to get their ROI.

That doesn't appear to be the case. Are the legacy managers for the Pens still in charge of the future plans? Does Fenway Group own the development rights?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 9:27 PM
somewhere in-between

Pitt just had a groundbreaking for its new Campus Recreation and Wellness Center, a week or so ago (delayed from the spring). 9 stories, 275,000 SF, LEED Silver, with dining, fitness spaces, multi-purpose rooms, a natatorium, gymnasiums, various offices, and an elevated walking / jogging track -

Source: LinkedIn | Mascaro Construction Company LP

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 2:03 AM

Thanks for sharing. I believe this new recreation and wellness center is being built where the uniquely designed LRDC building that was previously discussed on these boards used to be.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 12:47 PM

The developer who bought the former Post Gazette building Downtown is leaning more toward residential than office these days, but is apparently in no rush to develop anything:

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/202210110064

I understand some caution in this market, but hopefully they move along relatively soon as this is a pretty big chunk of land.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 12:55 PM

November 3rd ZBA is now online. Only three things of note for that week:

1. A new infill house in Hazelwood. This is the approximate location...on a very vacant street likely taking advantage of the views of the Mon. Design is meh.

2. Ten infill houses in Garfield. They are going in on an empty section of Rosetta Street right here. They are being built by Module Housing, which was behind the Garfield Tiny house which went way over budget, but have since done a number of successful small infill projects in East Liberty. Bloomfield-Garfield Corporation was attempting to get affordable housing built at this site for at least a decade, but I do not know if the current project is affordable or not (I believe Module only builds for-sale housing).

3. Infill house in Central Northside. This is the location. Another Desmone house, like many of these small North Side projects now. It's inoffensive and should match with the surrounding area.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 12:56 PM

The Post Gazette also has this overview of the long list of residential projects Downtown, and speculation a lot more could be coming:

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/202210090013

The article notes that despite the recent increase in Downtown residential, Pittsburgh is still unusually light in Downtown residential units for a city its size, with high occupancy rates suggesting unmet potential demand. It also notes the Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership is ultimately targeting another more-than-doubling of the Downtown population, from around 7200 today to around 15000, which would likely unlock a lot more development of various local amenities.

It will be interesting to see if that momentum continues. But it does seem to me like if this keeps happening in the Triangle AND Uptown/Lower Hill keep adding residential units as well, it will end up really transforming the feel of that part of the region.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The Post Gazette also has this overview of the long list of residential projects Downtown, and speculation a lot more could be coming:

The article notes that despite the recent increase in Downtown residential, Pittsburgh is still unusually light in Downtown residential units for a city its size, with high occupancy rates suggesting unmet potential demand. It also notes the Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership is ultimately targeting another more-than-doubling of the Downtown population, from around 7200 today to around 15000, which would likely unlock a lot more development of various local amenities.

It will be interesting to see if that momentum continues. But it does seem to me like if this keeps happening in the Triangle AND Uptown/Lower Hill keep adding residential units as well, it will end up really transforming the feel of that part of the region.
A couple of these are decent size office towers.. are these full conversions?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 3:01 PM
East End Wanderer

Quote:

2. Ten infill houses in Garfield. They are going in on an empty section of Rosetta Street right here. They are being built by Module Housing, which was behind the Garfield Tiny house which went way over budget, but have since done a number of successful small infill projects in East Liberty. Bloomfield-Garfield Corporation was attempting to get affordable housing built at this site for at least a decade, but I do not know if the current project is affordable or not (I believe Module only builds for-sale housing).
I read in this month's Bulletin that Module is working with a non-profit to enable four of the ten SFH be affordable.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
A couple of these are decent size office towers.. are these full conversions?
I think at least mostly--I believe the Gulf Tower proposal also included a hotel component for the bottom floors.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post

I was not aware there was any residential conversion planned for the Frank & Seder Building.

I would also say though that comparing the Pittsburgh downtown residential market to other cities might be a bit of apples to oranges, considering many other cities lack a second CBD like Oakland, or a big, mostly gentrified, and highly desirable urban nexus like the East End.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
I read in this month's Bulletin that Module is working with a non-profit to enable four of the ten SFH be affordable.
Cool. I read the Bulletin when I can, but hadn't seen this month's issue.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I was not aware there was any residential conversion planned for the Frank & Seder Building.

I would also say though that comparing the Pittsburgh downtown residential market to other cities might be a bit of apples to oranges, considering many other cities lack a second CBD like Oakland, or a big, mostly gentrified, and highly desirable urban nexus like the East End.

Cool. I read the Bulletin when I can, but hadn't seen this month's issue.

Also, more many comparable cities have cities with larger CBD footprints that would include adjacent Pittsburgh areas.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 1:32 PM

Quote:
What I vaguely recall is near the beginning of the year, Stark said it was changing its plans from mixed-use with some apartments on the top couple levels to almost all apartments. But then I think there were reports of Stark trying to sell the building, and then the sale falling through. So personally, I am not sure of the actual status of that project at all.

Quote:
Totally agree. For topographic, historical, and other reasons, development patterns in Pittsburgh are not really directly comparable to most other cities, even cities of a relatively similar size in the United States.

This has had both good and bad implications. But in this case I'd say it is more good than bad, as Pittsburgh's Downtown actually better-survived the sorts of widespread post-industrial hollowing-out that plagued many other superficially similar cities. But it also ended up more weighted to office uses.

Nonetheless, I think the Pittsburgh-specific statistics involving how occupancy rates, rents, and so on have trended Downtown, particularly since COVID, support the idea that potential demand Downtown has shifted significantly between lower-class office space and residential.

But exactly where that ends up taking us in, say, the coming decade will be a Pittsburgh-specific story, and I agree what has happened or will happen in other CBDs is of very limited use.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations