HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 8:53 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Telus Sky has been approved as of today. The development will include a public park on the +15 level, and over 350 rental apartments, with nearly 40 000 square meters of office space.
Are there any other public parks like this in the city, or even the country, or will this be a first? It doesn't seem that any of the previous renderings show the park, unless it's fully enclosed with the rest of the skyscraper.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 3:45 AM
ARTchitecture

I have no idea man. No one has really given any details about it, they just mentioned it when the land use changes were approved yesterday.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 11:40 PM
Editor

Quote:
Telus Sky has been approved as of today. The development will include a public park on the +15 level, and over 350 rental apartments, with nearly 40 000 square meters of office space.
Curious to see what this public park will look like.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 3:15 AM

You guys are lucky that such an iconic piece of architecture only took a few momths to get approved. If that was proposed in Toronto I can almost guarantee you it would've taken 1-2 years.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 6:25 AM

^ Maybe, but now it has to get built! Still would like to see a couple a changes.... My opinion of course.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 4:17 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by middeljohn View Post
You guys are lucky that such an iconic piece of architecture only took a few momths to get approved. If that was proposed in Toronto I can almost guarantee you it would've taken 1-2 years.
It sounds like the developer had consulted and worked with the city ahead of time so as to make the approval process go smoothly. I hope we see this get built soon.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 5:33 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Wow, another signature tower for Calgary. Great stuff.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 2:52 AM

Calgary just joined the race.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 6:36 AM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post
Calgary just joined the race.
I always thought Calgary was already in the race. Simply beautiful.

-sb

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 7:06 PM
ARTchitecture

Calgary didn't just join the race, we've had the 2nd tallest skyline for nearly 30 years, and we've had some of the nicest corporate architecture for around a decade now... and our recent proposals are consistently above most other major cities in Canada as far as innovation, modernity, and quality goes.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 7:39 PM

Telus Sky and Bow together will give Calgary a very distinct skyline. Both very iconic and easily recognizeable buildings.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 7:36 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMalgus View Post
Telus Sky and Bow together will give Calgary a very distinct skyline. Both very iconic and easily recognizeable buildings.
I like how Telus sky, The Bow, Broofield Place and Suncor (the four +700 foor towers) will all be very close to each other. Standing here http://goo.gl/maps/wjEMW and looking up will give you a 'Catherdral Grove' kind of feeling

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 8:02 PM
ARTchitecture

I actually love the spacing between the towers.

What's more, the boxyness of Telus Sky, forming into an extremely noticeable curve, will complement the contoured curvature of The Bow. Also, the boxy shape of Brookfield Place, with its tapering curved corners, will also add to this modern effect. I think it will be quite spectacular. Suncor with it's beautiful red granite will add a bit of diversity of colour to the shades of blue that the other 3 towers are.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 8:03 PM
Editor

Quote:
I actually love the spacing between the towers.

What's more, the boxyness of Telus Sky, forming into an extremely noticeable curve, will complement the contoured curvature of The Bow. Also, the boxy shape of Brookfield Place, with its tapering curved corners, will also add to this modern effect. I think it will be quite spectacular. Suncor with it's beautiful red granite will add a bit of diversity of colour to the shades of blue that the other 3 towers are.
Totally agree.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 8:07 PM
ARTchitecture

I just realized something, Brookfield Place will be Calgary's first major tower (over 170 meters) to have a flat, rectanguloid roof. Cool! I guess Telus Sky's will be rectaguloid as well. The park on top will be quite the amenity.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 8:24 PM

The park on top intrigues me. On one hand I wonder about how windy it would be, on the other hand, if they do it right and block out any wind, it would be spectacular.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 2:21 AM

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...484/story.html

"A couple of Allied’s downtown Calgary properties are undergoing transformation. The Art Central building, which was acquired in 2011, is set for demolition to begin in July to make room for an office and residential skyscraper."

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 4:00 AM

both buildings should be 200m+

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Calgary didn't just join the race, we've had the 2nd tallest skyline for nearly 30 years, and we've had some of the nicest corporate architecture for around a decade now... and our recent proposals are consistently above most other major cities in Canada as far as innovation, modernity, and quality goes.
I agree with you that the Calgary have very sophisticated and innovative skyscrapers.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 8:47 PM
Editor

So July is the target date for demo, that's good to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...484/story.html

"A couple of Allied’s downtown Calgary properties are undergoing transformation. The Art Central building, which was acquired in 2011, is set for demolition to begin in July to make room for an office and residential skyscraper."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive