HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Tuxedo Safeway started renos. I hope it's not changing brands. But then again, I would get over it pretty quick. Does anyone know?
Spoke with a cashier in there a few days ago. Said a full interior renovation is happening and they are completely changing the location of all the check-outs, aisle layouts, etc. He thought it would remain the same interior square footage. Also confirmed it will still be a Safeway as the renders show.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 1:39 AM

Changing the subject.......When do you guys think Winnipeg will get it's next 100m + tower? A few years? A decade? Two decades?

I want to see the space where sky city centre was supposed to be built, get something tall.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 2:02 AM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
Changing the subject.......When do you guys think Winnipeg will get it's next 100m + tower? A few years? A decade? Two decades?

I want to see the space where sky city centre was supposed to be built, get something tall.
A few years later is my bet (more likely announced in the next few years, not necessarily built). But to be honest I’d prefer greater density and vibrancy to mere height. The Exchange District isn’t about height but it’s surely one of Winnipeg’s hottest neighbourhoods.

Filling the lots might be a better priority

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
A few years later is my bet (more likely announced in the next few years, not necessarily built). But to be honest I’d prefer greater density and vibrancy to mere height. The Exchange District isn’t about height but it’s surely one of Winnipeg’s hottest neighbourhoods.

Filling the lots might be a better priority
I want both.

I know I know its wishful thinking. I agree on the density part, there are so many lots and gaps downtown, lots of room to build. Some height would be nice though. I was driving over the disreali towards downtown tonight and the new building on main is really coming along nicely. It is really contributing to the skyline. I just want more of that. Lol.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post

it'll be a long time, decades in my opinion. majority of employees I know that work downtown (Fed gov't employee like Ag Canada & Vet Affairs, IG Wealth, some Hydro) have been told it wont be till 2021 before they return to office, continue working from home. Originally they were told July, then Sept, now Jan 2021. Also, some have been asked if given the option would you permanently work from home. I know 3 people in other industries that are 3-5 years away from retirement that have elected to work from home as their company gave them the choice. 2 of the 3 are selling their place in Winnipeg and making the cottage their primary residence for their final few years of employment. there's going to be major shifts and one is away from downtown expensive offices. I'm not saying I support it, I'm just stating the facts

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
it'll be a long time, decades in my opinion. majority of employees I know that work downtown (Fed gov't employee like Ag Canada & Vet Affairs, IG Wealth, some Hydro) have been told it wont be till 2021 before they return to office, continue working from home. Originally they were told July, then Sept, now Jan 2021. Also, some have been asked if given the option would you permanently work from home. I know 3 people in other industries that are 3-5 years away from retirement that have elected to work from home as their company gave them the choice. 2 of the 3 are selling their place in Winnipeg and making the cottage their primary residence for their final few years of employment. there's going to be major shifts and one is away from downtown expensive offices. I'm not saying I support it, I'm just stating the facts
Building on that, given the uncertainty of COVID on the future of work, I don't think any major towers are going to get drafted up for a few years, nevermind built. I have a feeling there might be a glut of office space in Winnipeg as companies start to recognize that they don't need the space they currently have and downsize accordingly to their WFH employees.

On the residential side, maybe. There might be some office tower conversions, or if 300 Main and TNS fill up nicely and quickly then it might be a good market indicator and will convince someone else to build.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 1:38 PM
What could go wrong?

The next 100+m tower wont be an office tower. Just like every where else the majority of tall towers are residential.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 1:55 PM

Rush hour is definitely back. As predicted, it's noticeable more people have returned to their offices since Labour Day. Lots of my friends are on flex or mixed time. Work in office ~3 days a week, the other home. Many are back full time but with the option to WFH if more comfortable, and many I know are electing to work in office so they can actually leave the house.

Was speaking to the Exchange BIZ the other day – while June/July was bad comparatively due to no festivals, most restaurants reported their best August EVER.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Rush hour is definitely back. As predicted, it's noticeable more people have returned to their offices since Labour Day. Lots of my friends are on flex or mixed time. Work in office ~3 days a week, the other home. Many are back full time but with the option to WFH if more comfortable, and many I know are electing to work in office so they can actually leave the house.

Was speaking to the Exchange BIZ the other day – while June/July was bad comparatively due to no festivals, most restaurants reported their best August EVER.
That is incredible... how on earth was August so good? It doesn't add up.

I'm still on full time WFH. With the kids back in school I have to say it's even better now than it was before. No commuting time and expenses. I'm going to have a hard time going back downtown again.

As for new tower construction, judging by trends across the country it does seem that housing is leading the charge. Since Calgary stopped building them a few years ago, really only Toronto seems to be putting up a multitude of big office towers. Everywhere else it's mainly residential. Not to say that there won't be the occasional new office building here and there, I just don't expect any new 100m+ towers anytime soon. Also not expecting any major new hotels given that it will take years for the travel sector to rebound from all of this.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 2:31 PM
Back from the dead

Oh, I doubt it'll be decades before Winnipeg gets another 100 meter plus building. Just as Biff said, it'll be residential and so long as the city is growing, there will be demand.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That is incredible... how on earth was August so good? It doesn't add up.
Maybe the Bijou Market or whatever they're calling that laneway patio is working? Winnipeg lacks good patios and the forks is super busy all the time, so maybe that's part of it.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Residential should still be coming at a steady clip. Winnipeg has stable growth as well as a steady growth pattern now, the city is trending towards one million (over the next 5-10 years should pass 900k cma) and as long as developers see potential in apartment or condo towers, we will still see these projects in Winnipeg. Office is another story, it’s growing, but just not downtown

That said, they may not be 100m+, but I expect tall towers (residential) will be where the downtown height grows over the next decade.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The next 100+m tower wont be an office tower. Just like every where else the majority of tall towers are residential.
Can’t tell if you’ve seen things or just stating your opinion, Or both

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 3:58 PM

Quote:
there's going to be major shifts and one is away from downtown expensive offices. I'm not saying I support it, I'm just stating the facts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Building on that, given the uncertainty of COVID on the future of work, I don't think any major towers are going to get drafted up for a few years, nevermind built. I have a feeling there might be a glut of office space in Winnipeg as companies start to recognize that they don't need the space they currently have and downsize accordingly to their WFH employees.
It started with the loss for the Agricore and Global TV offices downtown causing some significant vacancies in office space that went largely unnoticed as they were empty lots/store fronts. Then TNS came along and while the office market was lying on the ground and broke both its legs. Now Covid is happening causing companies to rethink what office space they need v having their workforce work from home which effectively is the built to the back of the head of any new office buildings in downtown Winnipeg likely for 20+ years.

That said, the shift to expecting employees to provide their own workspace does present an interesting opportunity. Both the pandemic I knew people where their employer did not provide an office and they had arranged for their own small office space outside of their home. This would seem to possible see a growth in what has come to be known as "co-work" space, but with apartment style which each person having their own room. There could also be a shared printer/scanner/copier available on a fee for use system.

The other fallout could be companies that continue to want to maintain an office presence could need to expand their footprint as the previously trendy open office with employees working closely together went out of fashion so quick leasing managers may have gotten whiplash. That could partially help cover loses due to companies that are giving up their own spaces.

In other words everything we knew 12 months ago is radically different today.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
In other words everything we knew 12 months ago is radically different today.
No question that things have changed... I'd have to wager on covid having a major cooling effect on the market, between the economic contraction and the increase in WFH. I'd imagine that new office projects downtown for most of the next decade will be all small scale (lowrise or renovation of existing).

That said, some provincial minister, can't remember exactly who, said something to the effect that the province may still require a good amount of office space to accommodate social distancing requirements moving ahead. Although I guess a successful vaccine rollout could negate that.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That said, some provincial minister, can't remember exactly who, said something to the effect that the province may still require a good amount of office space to accommodate social distancing requirements moving ahead. Although I guess a successful vaccine rollout could negate that.
This probably won't be the last pandemic, and WFH/remote work will likely persist in some form post-COVID. So, I think one of the things we'll see in commercial space is design for flexible use: More hoteling, but fewer temporary cubicles or shared desks, and more temporary private offices.
Meeting rooms for effective hybrid in-person/online meetings. Office buildings designed with shiftwork in mind as people work staggered shifts. That kind of thing.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 6:00 PM

Anecdotally in terms of WFH, I work for an anonymous large company with large offices in Winnipeg and Toronto. For the people I regularly interact with, it seems the WFH is more comfortable for the Winnipeg office with their large affordable homes vs Toronto workers and small downtown condos, working out of bedrooms and living rooms.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 6:17 PM

Although not likely over 100m, the Wawanesa tower is the next dedicated office building. Will be interesting to see how that plays out

There is a role for social distancing at the office, and I wonder if companies may offer options; I have a relative in Winnipeg who both lives in a large suburban home and works for a major bank who says the lack of “going to the office” has adversely impacted their productivity, and so there may be a role for office, simply modified.

It will be interesting to see how it affects other market development....calgary still has residential high rise development but office vacancy is a mess, far beyond anything in winnipeg

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 6:18 PM
What could go wrong?

I say it will be more taller office towers. Social distancing will result in one office per floor buildings. Wawanesa will re-jig their proposal and build 15 - 100 storey buildings downtown for their 1,500 employees.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 6:26 PM
the first stamp is free

One office I am familiar with just leased more space in order to rejig their layout and get more staff back from WFH.

I think it really depends on the industry you are in. In mine, WFH is not a viable long term option.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan