HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 5:39 PM

That's terrific news. I'm looking forward to the protected lanes being continued down Ellen/Carlton and Hargrave in "future construction seasons" as the city website puts it.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 8:16 PM

I believe Hargrave and Carlton are happening next year. The Ellen portion of the SB lane is already done.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 8:35 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I believe Hargrave and Carlton are happening next year. The Ellen portion of the SB lane is already done.
Small parts of Hargrave are done as well.

I hope they plan something big for Carlton. I think there's plenty of room to put trees between the road/parking and the bike lane/sidewalk. Right now there's very few trees on Carlton north of Portage, and it's a really miserable walk in the hot sun.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 12:58 AM
BANNED

it's too bad they didn't add lanes on ellice, would have been the perfect e/w connecter for north downtown/the exchange.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 1:59 AM

Ellice is a vital corridor that definitely needs improving. Too high stress for me.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 3:35 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleb View Post
Ellice is a vital corridor that definitely needs improving. Too high stress for me.
Bike lanes on Ellice would be incredible, however I suspect it would never happen.

Protected bike lanes would require Ellice to either eliminate all on-street parking or the ability to make left turns off of Ellice. It is just too narrow.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 5:22 PM
BANNED

the new bike lanes are great, but wow are people awful for blocking them.

assiniboine has obviously been a mess, but ever since Sandhu was kicked off the d condo project the trades have been AWFUL. blocking lanes, parking their personal vehicles in the bike lane not even on the site, leaving stuff all over the road, randomly removing the pilons for the temporary bike lanes.

today, both the bike lane on mcdermot was blocked by a recycling truck and then further on someone parked in the lane. I honestly could phone 311 everyday to make a complaint but I feel like the city needs to have better public education or signage or something.

edit: the city actually posted this a few days ago: https://winnipeg.ca/PublicWorks/pede...UsersGuide.stm

Last edited by headhorse; Oct 1, 2018 at 7:49 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
today, both the bike lane on mcdermot was blocked by a recycling truck and then further on someone parked in the lane. I honestly could phone 311 everyday to make a complaint but I feel like the city needs to have better public education or signage or something.
How about enforcement? You park your car on a street with rush hour parking bans and they're writing tickets at 3:35 pm. Yet judging from what I hear, no one seems to get too worked up about any and all manner of trucks blocking the bike lanes.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 7:42 PM

Exactly, it's all about enforcement. Funny, the City is always looking for easy revenue possibilities.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 4:46 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
the new bike lanes are great, but wow are people awful for blocking them.
Get a bell (if you don't have one).

I find that I am seeing people standing in the middle of the bike lane chatting with friends or digging through their purse not realizing that they are basically standing in traffic.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Bells don't seem to be part of the cycling culture here. 15 years ago when I was a student in Edmonton it seemed like every cyclist had one, and they'd ding the bell as they came up behind pedestrians on the High Level Bridge. But here they're still uncommon.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 4:58 PM

Ringing a bell at a parked car wont do much unfortunately.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 5:30 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Bells don't seem to be part of the cycling culture here. 15 years ago when I was a student in Edmonton it seemed like every cyclist had one, and they'd ding the bell as they came up behind pedestrians on the High Level Bridge. But here they're still uncommon.
In Alberta the AT paths give the cyclist the right-of-way over pedestrians, so you need a bell to let the dog walkers know you are coming and to get out of the way.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 5:31 PM

This convo reminds me of this guy
Just do what he did lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6kB8Uu5xMU

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 5:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post

I find that I am seeing people standing in the middle of the bike lane chatting with friends or digging through their purse not realizing that they are basically standing in traffic.
I have a bell, it's mostly been vehicles, though I have noticed a few pedestrians too.

apparently there was a cop car parked in the bike lane on bannatyne near HSC doing photo radar the other day

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 6:03 PM

Quote:
apparently there was a cop car parked in the bike lane on bannatyne near HSC doing photo radar the other day

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I think in a few provinces, having a bell/horn is actually required, and you can get fined for not having one. I agree that it's strange how they haven't really caught on here.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 12:25 AM

I always use a bell when coming up behind pedestrians/dog walkers blocking the path. It’s essential equipment. Half the time folks seem pretty startled and confused. Share the path!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 2:16 PM

I just don't understand why the city won't either put green paint, or paint bike logos, on the bus stop islands. I don't blame pedestrians at all for not knowing there's some sort of difference between asphalt and concrete. Especially when after a couple years they look the same. The sharrows should not just be on the ramps, but also on the bypasses at sidewalk level.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 3:24 PM

Bells are good. As someone who walks all over downtown at first I thought people using the bells were being ******* ("i wasn't even in your way - plenty of room to go around!") but now appreciate it - would rather know then make a hard turn across the path and get run into.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan