HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
Also, I'm sure Harry will be all over it, but can some people take some pictures of them taking out the support beams when they start pouring the floor plates? I've never seen that process actually happening. Or are they keeping all those beams in there and building the parking garage around them?
I've always wondered this too. Whether these beams are permanent or temporary.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 10:01 PM

Bracing like that is nearly always temporary, the slab of the parking garage takes up the stress that the bracing bears rendering them useless once the floors are constructed.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
I've always wondered this too. Whether these beams are permanent or temporary.
Once poured and cured the floor takes the load the beams are bearing now - they will be removed.

From the building of 353 N Clark - Meserow - 10yrs ago. After pouring the floors around the beams the beams are cut out and the holes in the floor and wall filled in. With the WP supports running dead horizontal this should be much easier.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 2:43 AM

Park Tower in San Francisco had a similar shoring system which consisted of cross bracing. You can see in the images below the bracing piece was lifted out and you can see the previously poured slab below. The pictures Harry posted are of rakers which are left in until the below grade portion is constructed due to them holding up the entire wall from one point, where as with cross bracing the hole is braced so that once each level is poured the bracing can be removed. Keeping the bracing in until after the below grade portion is constructed isn't unheard of, just uncommon.

Oxblue -- https://app.oxblue.com/open/clarkconstruction/block5

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 3:28 AM

^^ interesting stuff, thanks!!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 3:48 AM

Anyone know when this tower is scheduled to get off the ground and finish foundations work?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 6:54 PM

I'm sorry but shit like this blows my mind. Not only is it supporting a main river branch but also one of the biggest lakes on the planet.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 10:35 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
I'm sorry but shit like this blows my mind. Not only is it supporting a main river branch but also one of the biggest lakes on the planet.
Are you talking about the support beams? They do indeed help brace the excavation site from the river, but not necessarily the lake. The lock system at the mouth of the river is what really holds the lake in, more or less, as the lake is (usually, depending on weather conditions) several feet higher than the river.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 1:19 AM

That makes sense. I wasn't thinking about the lock system. Do they re-use those beams or are they sized per site then disposed of?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 1:25 AM

Also, whats the difference or determination between using angled beams or straight/horizontally placed beams? I would imagine it would have something to do with near water location or soil quality?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 1:25 AM

Quote:
That makes sense. I wasn't thinking about the lock system. Do they re-use those beams or are they sized per site then disposed of?
The sheet piles are usually kept in and the walers (the beams that run along the wall and distribute the load) and bracing and reused.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Walsh is definitely into re-use.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 1:44 AM

I really hope they keep that temporary bridge/riverwalk lol, for WPS. Engineering phenom. And thank you all for your intelligence and insight. Especially for an amateur skyscraper nerd such as myself. Keep the info coming.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 3:10 PM
You had me at herro...

Here's from my office.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 3:15 PM
BANNED

Wow, thank you. the engineering here is really stellar.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 5:56 PM

I just wish this was going to look a bit more iconic there along the river. Something like this announced project in Hamburg:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=232028

That gradual sloping of tower into base could do a lot of good for Chicago, given its recent (well, the last 40 years or so) explosion of towers-on-podiums.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 5:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I just wish this was going to look a bit more iconic there along the river. Something like this announced project in Hamburg:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=232028

That gradual sloping of tower into base could do a lot of good for Chicago, given its recent (well, the last 40 years or so) explosion of towers-on-podiums.
I agree, the skyscraper nerd in me loves watching it go up, but this development is a lost opportunity on the whole.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 2:33 PM

Feb 6

Feb 5

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 3:57 PM
1st Ward

Great shots, Harry! Especially love that last one. Really shows the growth of the north branch river canyon we've had in the last decade or so. I wonder how long until its impressive enough for Chicago river boat tours to start sailing up on it?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 5:16 PM

uh, they already do…

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive