HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
The only time anything remotely similar to this has happened is when the Morrison Hotel came down for Chase Tower...
This site says that the Morrison Hotel was the 3rd tallest building to ever be voluntarily demolished. I can't comment to how accurate the list is, but interesting nonetheless.

https://www.constructionjunkie.com/b...ily-demolished

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 7:53 PM
you know where I'll be

As Steely mentions, the Apparel Center coming down would very likely be a long time off. They've put a lot of money into the building, and my assumption is it's well-leased and a decent-performing asset. Likely will go nowhere for decades.

Also, I continue to not understand the slightest disappointment with this tower. I suppose it's just height fanboys living in a constant state of make-believe land? I don't get what else it could be. It's a beautifully designed tower, and if executed as well as the fantastic WPE (highly likely it will be), will be an excellent addition (and yes - an excellent addition in this specific location).

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post

Also, I continue to not understand the slightest disappointment with this tower. I suppose it's just height fanboys living in a constant state of make-believe land? I don't get what else it could be. It's a beautifully designed tower, and if executed as well as the fantastic WPE (highly likely it will be), will be an excellent addition (and yes - an excellent addition in this specific location).
Definitely the curse of a proposal that dared to ever suggest it would be above 1000ft. Lots of comments from the usual suspects with a more myopic height obsession

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 10:11 PM

I actually like the 700-800 ft. wall that is being created from WPS down to 110 N Wacker. It's solid and imposing. Who needs spindly height when you've got brutal force?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 10:18 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
I actually like the 700-800 ft. wall that is being created from WPS down to 110 N Wacker. It's solid and imposing. Who needs spindly height when you've got brutal force?
I agree to a certain extent, and it beats empty lots obviously, but this was an epic location for a building that was noticeably tall by Chicago standards.

Quote:
anything is possible, but when was the last time 1.8M SF of perfectly serviceable large floorplate office space in reasonably good shape electively demolished to make way for an even larger/taller development in chicago?

i can't think of any such examples off the top of my head.

the inertia of buildings as large as the apparel center tends to keep them in place for the long haul.
Thompson center? Definitely not 1.8 MSF but still a massive/well known building, although it's just speculation as of now supposedly.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 10:22 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Thompson center?
i don't think anyone would describe the thompson center as "x SF of perfectly serviceable large floorplate office space in reasonably good shape".

the thompson center is a building with a long sordid history of issues compounded by a mountain of deferred maintenance. the apparel center is not.

and most importantly, the thompson center hasn't been torn down yet. it's destiny is yet to be written.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Dec 10, 2019 at 10:33 PM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
I can see you settle for anything

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
It's a beautifully designed tower

It's fine and looks like a well executed design but it's more along the lines of competent or professionally executed. The design isn't really very distinctive and it isn't really doing anything that hasn't been done before, or even recently, along the river. There's nothing particularly distinctive about it or unique which is the problem.

There were two choices here, you could go big which would compensate for a lack of architectural flair or you could go smaller but try harder with design. This however does neither which, given its prime location, is a disappointment.

A prime site like this demanded a centerpiece...something bold...and instead we get something nice but just a tad boring.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 12:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpireGuy View Post
Agreed 100%. At the very least I'd like to see gold shiny fins instead of the white ones. Give it some variation from WPE.
Great idea. Better yet, I’d like to see black fins to contrast even more sharply with WPE and it would interact well with Sears Tower. The black and blue combo looks excellent on the new 333 N Green building.

Please give it some thought, Pelli! (I see they might have been listening with regard to our preference for the squared vs rounded columns at the base, in Goettsch’a 110 N Wacker thread)

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganChi View Post
I can see you settle for anything
You think these 4 office towers is "settling"? Settling would be 4 15 story buildings, because that's all you're entitled to, unless you're building them yourself.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 1:00 AM

Quote:
It's monotonous and boring to a point and height would bring a nice visual vertical variation to the supposed 'brutal force'.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post

A prime site like this demanded a centerpiece...something bold...and instead we get something nice but just a tad boring.
I was hoping for something in the same league as the Spire.

Part of the economics may be that with such a prime site a solid tower is all you need.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 3:14 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
It's fine and looks like a well executed design but it's more along the lines of competent or professionally executed. The design isn't really very distinctive and it isn't really doing anything that hasn't been done before, or even recently, along the river. There's nothing particularly distinctive about it or unique which is the problem.

There were two choices here, you could go big which would compensate for a lack of architectural flair or you could go smaller but try harder with design. This however does neither which, given its prime location, is a disappointment.

Very well said. The least they could have done was accentuate the reference to art deco a little more.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 3:28 AM
Chairman

Looks fine to me.

-sb

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 3:36 AM

If they would have just kept the spire it would have definitely put an explamation point on wolf point.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 4:22 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i don't think anyone would describe the thompson center as "x SF of perfectly serviceable large floorplate office space in reasonably good shape".

the thompson center is a building with a long sordid history of issues compounded by a mountain of deferred maintenance. the apparel center is not.

and most importantly, the thompson center hasn't been torn down yet. it's destiny is yet to be written.
Didn't realize it was that bad considering it was only built in the 80's. It's still quite a building to tear down and make way for a new one though, but yea as I said that's undecided if/when that'll happen.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2020, 8:49 PM

A friend of mine told me yesterday his company was awarded the contract as one of the subs on WPS. Apparently construction should start "any day now"...Let's keep a close eye on the site and see if he is right. Apparently all of the WPE trailers have been removed from the site.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2020, 9:49 PM

If that turns out to be true what a great new years present

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 5:52 AM

We did hear Q1 2020 and it makes sense that this would wind up now that WPE is wrapping exterior work. They have the room to deploy next door now.

Happy New Year's indeed!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 4:17 PM

Fingers crossed. Imo this is the most important project to get in this cycle. With WPE and WPW built, that gap is very noticeable.

I imagine we will have barges for this one?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction