HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 2:11 AM
i heart philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Here are some photos I took of the Federal Courthouse project on November 17, 2019. The project has been moving along quickly. The structure definitely increases the profile of the city skyline when entering the downtown SB along North 7th Street (photo of the structure entering this way was not taken). Attempted to take photos from different angles, although all were taken around dusk, so they are not the best quality. Looking forward to seeing this project completed!

wow, didn't realize this was going up. thanks for the update.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 6:32 PM

Thanks for the update g500! I was trying to get a glimpse of this project when I drove across the South Bridge on Saturday night, but traffic was a little too heavy for me to be taking my eyes off the road.

Hopefully, this project spurs some infill in that area.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
New Renders for Harrisburg Universities tower.

Now totaling 17 stories. I would have loved the original 36 story (~450') proposal, but this is a very decent bit of infill.

https://theburgnews.com/news/hu-sets...ic-tower-hotel

https://local21news.com/news/local/h...gs-of-building

The site as it looks today.

Love the design of this. Awesome.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Here are some photos I took of the Federal Courthouse project on November 17, 2019. The project has been moving along quickly. The structure definitely increases the profile of the city skyline when entering the downtown SB along North 7th Street (photo of the structure entering this way was not taken). Attempted to take photos from different angles, although all were taken around dusk, so they are not the best quality. Looking forward to seeing this project completed!

how tall is this supposed to be?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 5:42 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
how tall is this supposed to be?
I forget the specific number but roughly the same as Jackson Lick apartments. The height is not easily found. It took me some time when I looked.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 5:43 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
Love the design of this. Awesome.
Scuttlebutt is that the hotel provider pulled out? I haven't been by the site recently, but I think they are started on foundation.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 5:47 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by mville1 View Post
Thanks for the update g500! I was trying to get a glimpse of this project when I drove across the South Bridge on Saturday night, but traffic was a little too heavy for me to be taking my eyes off the road.

Hopefully, this project spurs some infill in that area.
its not really possible to see it that well from South Bridge, much of downtown buildings are in the way.

But, coming across the Harvey Taylor it is a nice extension to the skyline sitting just left of Jackson Lick. Kinda makes it look like downtown extends halfway into Midtown. I guess at some point in time that may be true.

One of the things that is a looming problem with the new courthouse is that there will be no onsite parking to go with the building. It is anticipated that approximately spaces for 200 cars is needed. The area is in SP parkings no compete zone, they city can't finance it as we have yet to return to the larger bond market. There is little available onstreet parking even now as many state workers park and walk.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 5:11 PM
Man on a mission

PennLive

Its sad the building is loosing 6 stories, but I think the massing still works in the neighborhood. Maybe the next building can be a nice new addition to the skyline. Hoping to see construction cranes rising soon.

edit: The Burg story. How is it that they always give so much better information?

Last edited by Young Gun; Mar 11, 2020 at 8:28 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 6:11 PM
Chairman

All the excitement when this was first announced.

-sb

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 7:35 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
All the excitement when this was first announced.
That's HBG for ya

This was interesting:

Harrisburg City Council overturned a mayoral veto on Tuesday, though the two branches of government agreed to work towards a policy that could give the city more leverage over future development projects.

By a 5-2 vote, council rejected the action by Mayor Eric Papenfuse, who recently vetoed a resolution that would vacate several “paper” streets on a parcel of land where the new federal courthouse now is rising.

Before the meeting, Papenfuse said that he vetoed the resolution to make a point. He wants council members to create a policy that would require developers to conduct a “public benefit analysis” when requesting street vacations.

Such a policy, he said, would give the city leverage as developers continue to plan projects in Harrisburg. In exchange for the street vacation, the city could ask for certain benefits, such as offsetting city-borne costs, making streetscape improvements, utilizing local labor or including affordable housing.

“It could help us with affordable housing policy in the city,” he said. “In Seattle, and many cities, they require a public benefit proposal on the part of the developer.”

Last month, council approved a resolution that would vacate “various unnamed paper streets” on the 4.2-acre site at N. 6th and Reily streets, where the federal government is building a 243,000-square-foot courthouse.

Usually, paper streets are narrow “baker’s” or “grocer’s” alleys that offer rear access to row houses. On the courthouse site, neither the houses nor the alleys exist any longer, but the public rights of way remain on paper.

On Tuesday, Papenfuse told council that, currently, the city holds little leverage over a developer outside of the normal planning and zoning process. Requiring an analysis for street vacations would give the city a tool to extract “public benefit” concessions for large projects, he said.

“It would be a power vested in City Council that is not granted through the land development process,” he said.

https://theburgnews.com/news/harrisb...trategy-policy

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 3:05 PM

An update from last month regarding Harrisburg University's new academic building. Unfortunately, no renderings of the downsized version of the building or when the university expects to break ground. Expected completion of building is sometime in 2023.

Harrisburg University gets the green light to build 11-story academic tower

By: Daniel Urie
PennLive - Patriot News

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/0...mic-tower.html

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 3:36 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
An update from last month regarding Harrisburg University's new academic building. Unfortunately, no renderings of the downsized version of the building or when the university expects to break ground. Expected completion of building is sometime in 2023.

Harrisburg University gets the green light to build 11-story academic tower

By: Daniel Urie
PennLive - Patriot News

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/0...mic-tower.html
Thanks for the update. I can't wait for the next update in a few months, when this thing is reduced to 7 stories.

Anyone have any updates on the federal courthouse project? Last photo update was from a year ago. Is it completed?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 7:54 PM
somewhere in-between

Pretty impressive before / after of the PA State Police HQ, off of Elmerton Ave. VITETTA (Lemoyne, PA) is the A/E firm, IMETCO is the metal panel / cladding manufacturer, and ECI Construction and Progressive Services, Inc. did the installation.

Before -

After -

Source: IMETCO

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 4:33 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
Thanks for the update. I can't wait for the next update in a few months, when this thing is reduced to 7 stories.

Anyone have any updates on the federal courthouse project? Last photo update was from a year ago. Is it completed?
I don't have pictures, but it is topped out, with most of the cladding on the building. I don't think windows are installed yet.

It adds quite a bit to the skyline. From the Camp Hill Bypass/Harvey Taylor, it makes it look like downtown stretches way North.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 8:49 PM
Me?!?

I have my doubts that this trend will be a constant but you never know. And I do think that it may be more of a situation of the inevitable as in people planned on moving back to be closer to family once they got older and as things changed and the pandemic just sped those plans up. But either way it will be interesting to see how this goes:

Headed to Harrisburg: As big cities fight to retain residents during COVID, Harrisburg attempts to keep up with the demand.
https://theburgnews.com/in-the-burg/...ith-the-demand

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 4:20 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
I have my doubts that this trend will be a constant but you never know. And I do think that it may be more of a situation of the inevitable as in people planned on moving back to be closer to family once they got older and as things changed and the pandemic just sped those plans up. But either way it will be interesting to see how this goes:

Headed to Harrisburg: As big cities fight to retain residents during COVID, Harrisburg attempts to keep up with the demand.
https://theburgnews.com/in-the-burg/...ith-the-demand
I read that article too. I've definitely seen the demographic living downtown and midtown change. Its trended older as apartments become more expensive.

Several new midrises have actually been talked about for Midtown too. Not holding my breath, the developers don't impress me.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 12:37 AM

Does anybody know who owns the lot at N. 3rd and Cranberry? It seems like such a no brainer spot for a high-rise apartment building or condos. A building between 15-30 stories at that location, especially the upper floors, would have fantastic views of the capitol complex, downtown, Dauphin narrows and the river.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 11:25 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Does anybody know who owns the lot at N. 3rd and Cranberry? It seems like such a no brainer spot for a high-rise apartment building or condos. A building between 15-30 stories at that location, especially the upper floors, would have fantastic views of the capitol complex, downtown, Dauphin narrows and the river.
I checked the County's GIS. The street address is 222 N 3rd. St., and it is owned by "Musalair Trust" which does business as local real-estate company Vartan Group. Among other properties, they are, ironically, the owner of 222 Chestnut Street (the site of the planned HU tower). From their website, it sounds like they would welcome your proposal for the site!

Quote:
...It is one of the only development sites in the Central Business District, and a rare opportunity for new construction with the type of large floor plate required by modern users. The existing zoning permits a wide variety of uses...
It is true that there are not many prime development spots like this in downtown Harrisburg. The downtown is remarkably dense, and it bucks the trend of other similarly-sized cities that are just littered with surface lots.

http://www.dauphinpropertyinfo.org/v...40090060000000

https://gis.dauphincounty.org/dauphi...yparcelviewer/

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 4:23 PM

Thank you deja vu for doing the research! It is good to read Vartan sees the big project potential of this lot, but realistically it might be years before economic conditions and dynamics make a 15-30 story building feasible at this spot.

Even though downtown Harrisburg has few developable surface lots left, there are plenty of surface lots around Midtown and other parts of the city. Hopefully, some of the midrises Young Gun discussed come to fruition. Harrisburg needs more infill projects.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 2:21 AM
Me?!?

Pa. state university system ready to sell its Harrisburg headquarters
https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/1...gn=pennlive_sf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations