HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 3:20 PM
Future World Dictator

The CBA bill seems fine to me, IMO. Looks like it's just formalizing what has historically been an informal process. And as noted above here, if the Chamber of Commerce and Building Industry Association are both in favor of it, it can't be THAT bad lol.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 6:33 PM

Kenney Threatens to Veto Abatement Bill
Quote:
Mayor Jim Kenney has threatened a pocket veto of City Council’s reform of the 10-year property tax abatement if changes aren’t made to push the implementation back until at least the end of 2020.

In an unprecedented move, the mayor sent a letter to all members warning that if the implementation date is not pushed back, he would kill the bill.

“I look forward to signing this bill if it is amended with that later implementation date,” the letter reads. “Please know that if Council were to pass this bill as currently proposed I will not sign it, and it will not become law.”

Usually, if the mayor does not sign a piece of legislation, it will eventually still become law without his signature.

But because this is the end of a four-year City Council term, and all legislation dies when new councilmembers are seated, any bills passed in these final two Council sessions will not become law without Kenney’s explicit approval.

Mayor Kenney has never vetoed a City Council bill, in stark contrast to his predecessor who clashed with Council openly and frequently. Technically, he is not threatening to do so now, but the move is still seen as unusually aggressive.

The reform bill would phase effectively halve the 10-year property tax abatement for new residential construction. It would phase the value of the incentive out over the decade of the incentive, so a full abatement would only be received in the first year. In year two, 90% of a property’s assessed value would be abated and by the tenth year, only 10% of the value would be abated.
https://billypenn.com/2019/12/05/vet...batement-bill/

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 6:46 PM
Future World Dictator

Per the Inquirer, it looks like his tactic worked and Council will vote on (and almost certainly pass) an amendment to delay the implementation from July 1st 2010 to January 1st 2021.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 8:33 PM

Between the changes to the abatement and the ongoing QOZ push, next year looks to be a busy one for residential projects.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 8:48 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Let's hope so. And, maybe we have some speculative residential projects too. Am I correct if developers get in their abatement application and it gets approved on or before June 2021, then the 10 yr abatement will still apply?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 3:12 AM

https://www.inquirer.com/business/he...-20191206.html

Jefferson University gets $70 million gift to help pay for new research tower in Philly

Continuing their expansion, a 12 story 220,000-square-foot research tower was announced by Jefferson today. It will replace the Neuro hospital parking garage at the corner of 9th and Locust. A couple early renders are in the article, but there is no timeline as of yet.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 3:19 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
https://www.inquirer.com/business/he...-20191206.html

Jefferson University gets $70 million gift to help pay for new research tower in Philly

Continuing their expansion, a 12 story 220,000-square-foot research tower was announced by Jefferson today. It will replace the Neuro hospital parking garage at the corner of 9th and Locust. A couple early renders are in the article, but there is no timeline as of yet.
Nice. You beat me to posting the article. There's a render to, if McGrath or one of the mods can do a thread. Also, what was really interesting in the article was that Jefferson has a $2billion capital plan to build out some more. If more philanthropy would come its way, we could get a few more buildings from Jefferson.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 4:02 AM

Jefferson University Sidney Kimmel Biomedical Research Center
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...12#post8768412

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 2:03 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Jefferson University Sidney Kimmel Biomedical Research Center
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...12#post8768412
Thanks!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 2:34 PM

re Jefferson Tower

....meanwhile PATCO is ending overnight service at 9th and Locust starting tomorrow. They are a strange organization sometimes. They are in the process of opening a new station while decreasing the service at another.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
....meanwhile PATCO is ending overnight service at 9th and Locust starting tomorrow. They are a strange organization sometimes. They are in the process of opening a new station while decreasing the service at another.
To be fair that station was already closed overnight. I think they are just closing it a little earlier now. I wish they were going the other way with it though.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Actually 9th and locust is the only station that isn't having their overnight service reduced..... Because it was already ended years ago. The lack of overnight service to 9th and locust is unrelated to current service reduction. And while I'm all for increased service, to be fair to patco this station is a ghost town at night and there is another stop a 5 min walk away. Maybe this project will inject some more life into the area so keeping the 9th and locust station open 24/7 makes sense.

Every other station is seeing a service reduction between 12am and 4am on weekdays and 2am and 5am on weekends where trains will be reduced to once an hour from once every 45 minutes. It stinks, but a big improvement from their previous plans to cut overnight service from like half of the stations and even further reduce train frequency.

It's being sold as a public safety improvement as there will now be a cop on each train, but it's pretty clearly a service reduction. A lot of people still fighting against this but what we really need is more people to ride PATCO overnight. It's hard to fight for more frequent trains when they claim only an average of 200 people a night ride the train during the hours they're reducing service.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 8:24 PM

^^^ I didn't realize that when I read the article - thanks.

I was also thinking that station would be closest to both Pennsylvania Hospital and Jefferson Hospital, which are 24 hour operations. But if that station is a ghost town at night, obviously not any/many shift changes during those hours.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 8:58 PM

Perhaps PATCO could see more ridership by doing one simple thing that I’ve been fighting for for years...

Switch the Termini of the BRS and PATCO, and restore the free transfer between the two. I guarantee you the stations along the Locust St Tunnels will see more ridership (albeit under the banner of a new organization).

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 4:09 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Sorry, but you're behind the times. The name on the marquee signage (not yet installed when I passed by on Friday) is now to be "JEFFERSON CENTER," NOT TOWER.

https://li.phila.gov/#details?entity...%20MARKET%20ST

Permit Number
Application Type
ZONING/USE PERMIT
Permit Type
Z/U/S-ACCESSORY SIGNS
Date Issued
Wed Oct 09 2019
Work Description
FOR THE REPLACEMENT OF TWO (2) ACCESSORY, STATICALLY ILLUMINATED MARQUEE SIGNS (SIGN #2 ON PLANS; CHANGING COPY FROM "JEFFERSON TOWER" TO "JEFFERSON CENTER") ATOP THE MARQUEES OVER THE MARKET ST AND 11TH ST ENTRANCES TO AN EXISTING ATTACHED STRUCTURE, SIZE AND LOCATION AS SHOWN ON PLAN/APPLICATION; NO CHANGES TO ALL OTHER PREVIOUSLY APPROVED AND EXISTING SIGNS FROM AP#980027. SIGNS ACCESSORY TO ALL USES WITHIN THE EXISTING ATTACHED STRUCTURE.
The "Jefferson Center" lettering is now in place atop the Market St marquee. Not sure when it went up, as today was my first time past to go past there in a week.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 1:47 PM

I’m curious; anyone know how tall a building the parking lot at 20th and Walnut could accommodate without variances? Could the top floors be above the RIttenhouse Hotel and the Chatham and have 360 degree views? Regardless, there are at least some portions of that lot, adjacent to the church that are unobstructed by taller buildings.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 5:53 PM

Just posting here to show what's coming to our skyline

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post

Just posting here to show what's coming to our skyline
Where's this going to be?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 2:18 AM
i heart philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio5 View Post
Where's this going to be?
The building is already up. He is talking about the lighting.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenster View Post
The building is already up. He is talking about the lighting.
got it, thought so. thanks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations