HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
At the risk of piling on -- I like the idea of having Gensler (or anyone, for that matter) here if he/she's going to contribute as an equal to the conversation. But parachuting in here solely to defend against our good-faith criticism isn't cool. If he/she has special information that we don't have access to -- that's great and can help the conversation along. But using that to shut down dissent just ain't what forum life anywhere -- not just here -- is built on.
Our apologies, we were simply trying to provide perspective on the concerns and also respect the hard work and time that good people put into this project. We respect and ultimately agree with most of the criticisms and dissent.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 4:06 PM

Our projects are often like children to us. Comments directed at our work are tough to not take personally.

We'll leave.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
At the risk of piling on -- I like the idea of having Gensler (or anyone, for that matter) here if he/she's going to contribute as an equal to the conversation. But parachuting in here solely to defend against our good-faith criticism isn't cool. If he/she has special information that we don't have access to -- that's great and can help the conversation along. But using that to shut down dissent just ain't what forum life anywhere -- not just here -- is built on.

Shut down dissent? Were your posts being deleted? Don't you think you're taking this too far?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Sorry, I got caught up with their Wah wah endings to their replies to my posts where I was mostly trying to play nice. Please re read them, 8:48 and 8:49 comments. Thought that was rude and disrespectful towards me. I've only been posting here since 2009. They've been here a whole few weeks. You know what, you win... By ya'll, I'm signing out...
Don't leave General. You are a great forumer. I remember a few forumers who didn't like me as well but I'm still here. He/she is more likely a troll.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenslerATX View Post
Our projects are often like children to us. Comments directed at our work are tough to not take personally.

We'll leave.
Well, you shouldn't be in that line of work if you can't take criticism. Personally I like the older rendering better. I'll just leave it at that.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 8:29 PM

So sad to see GenslerATX run off.... it was refreshing to see people held accountable for their comments and the honesty of how comments actually affect the humans behind the work.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Well, you shouldn't be in that line of work if you can't take criticism. Personally I like the older rendering better. I'll just leave it at that.
Seriously.....that's kinda the whole point of architecture school. to have your projects completely torn apart and ridiculed by your professors and peers. Architects should have thicker skin than that...

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
So sad to see GenslerATX run off.... it was refreshing to see people held accountable for their comments and the honesty of how comments actually affect the humans behind the work.
I agree 100%.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 9:59 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Hopefully GenslerATX hasn't left, as I said before it's great that you have joined in and again we all have our different opinions or different ideas. To be able to hear from your side of the equation is something that enhances the overall conversation. We also learn more about what it takes to think up, create, design with the ultimate goal of bringing your idea to life.

And the Golden Girls are the BEST!!!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I agree 100%.
Some of the comments/criticisms we see here are over the top. I'm sure that they have to make design decisions they rather wouldn't have to. Budgets, city requirements, practicalities, etc. have to be taken into account.

Most of the people here have no experience with this type of work or what really goes into it. It's a shame that they are so overly critical of something they have little knowledge of and seem incapable of being understanding. I seriously doubt the architects are sandbagging it with their work.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 10:44 PM
Resident Moron

Yeah, I think Genseler was treated pretty poorly here.

They have clients with desires and ultimately the client dictates what the building looks like. From height, aesthetics and costing, and the firm is designing a project that meets those demands.

We live here, we like Skyscrapers and development, but part of being a YIMBY is understanding that while we are stakeholders in our cities development and skyline, we don't own it and aren't owed projects we like. In this case, I'll gladly take what we are getting over an underused concert venue made out of sheet metal.

In Genslers case, they are dealing with the fact that our city has failed to put infrastructure or rules in place that deal with downtown commutes and parking, and they find themselves in the unenviable position of having to try and put lipstick on a pig (parking podiums) and do so in a way that meets with the budget and needs of the developer.

I'm sure Gensler would love nothing more than to build 1,000 foot tall skyscrapers with perfect street level integration, exciting crowns and architectural flourishes. But unless we are all going to pay for them to actually make those projects they are likely to continue making projects that meet the specs of people who *are* actually paying for it.

That's not to say we can't have opinions, and they should likely get thicker skin.. but a major downtown player joined our discussion and we all decided to "hold them accountable" for their "poverty siding" ad naseum.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
Some of the comments/criticisms we see here are over the top. I'm sure that they have to make design decisions they rather wouldn't have to. Budgets, city requirements, practicalities, etc. have to be taken into account.

Most of the people here have no experience with this type of work or what really goes into it. It's a shame that they are so overly critical of something they have little knowledge of and seem incapable of being understanding. I seriously doubt the architects are sandbagging it with their work.
Yup. I suspect architects are more disappointed than we are when their clients want to cut back on design aesthetics to save some money. If anyone dislikes 3rd + Shoal, their displeasure should probably be directed at Cielo, not Gensler. I didn't see any comments complaining about Cielo.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Yeah, I think Genseler was treated pretty poorly here.

They have clients with desires and ultimately the client dictates what the building looks like. From height, aesthetics and costing, and the firm is designing a project that meets those demands.

We live here, we like Skyscrapers and development, but part of being a YIMBY is understanding that while we are stakeholders in our cities development and skyline, we don't own it and aren't owed projects we like. In this case, I'll gladly take what we are getting over an underused concert venue made out of sheet metal.

In Genslers case, they are dealing with the fact that our city has failed to put infrastructure or rules in place that deal with downtown commutes and parking, and they find themselves in the unenviable position of having to try and put lipstick on a pig (parking podiums) and do so in a way that meets with the budget and needs of the developer.

I'm sure Gensler would love nothing more than to build 1,000 foot tall skyscrapers with perfect street level integration, exciting crowns and architectural flourishes. But unless we are all going to pay for them to actually make those projects they are likely to continue making projects that meet the specs of people who *are* actually paying for it.

That's not to say we can't have opinions, and they should likely get thicker skin.. but a major downtown player joined our discussion and we all decided to "hold them accountable" for their "poverty siding" ad naseum.
ditto.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 11:25 PM

Overly-criticized or not, the condescending "Wah-wah"'s and "let's try to be adults"'s by whoever was representing Gensler at this forum were immature, rude and unnecessary. I was happy to see them explain the reasoning behind their design decisions, but the childish response to criticism is not "civil discussion" and doesn't belong here. I would expect something more mature and reasonable from a "professional." Good riddance.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Overly-criticized or not, the condescending "Wah-wah"'s and "let's try to be adults"'s by whoever was representing Gensler at this forum were immature, rude and unnecessary. I was happy to see them explain the reasoning behind their design decisions, but the childish response to criticism is not "civil discussion" and doesn't belong here. I would expect something more mature and reasonable from a "professional." Good riddance.
Come on now. I'm not sure it was meant to be condescending. I took the "wah-wah" as they themselves crying over decisions they had to make. Not targeting the people on this forum as babies.

That said, one can definitely find childish comments on these forums. Some intentional, some not intended that way. I'm sure I've typed a thing or two that may have been taken in a way that I didn't mean.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
Come on now. I'm not sure it was meant to be condescending. I took the "wah-wah" as they themselves crying over decisions they had to make. Not targeting the people on this forum as babies.

That said, one can definitely find childish comments on these forums. Some intentional, some not intended that way. I'm sure I've typed a thing or two that may have been taken in a way that I didn't mean.
Agreed and agreed

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
I didn't read it as immature or rude -- just perhaps not familiar with message board/social media etiquette. Older. Probably high up in the organization, no one above to answer to. Shame we ran them off.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 12:12 PM
Meh

1/29

1/31

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenslerATX View Post

We'll leave.
Why would you make the northeast corner of this the face of it when it will never be seen? Why not stagger the glass to look more appealing? This design isn't much to be proud of Gensler.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 11:56 PM
Meh

This building has a 3rd Street address. That literally is the face of the building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin