HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 4:47 AM

It should be just Cooley Field

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 3:39 AM
Registered Ugly

Progress on MSU's Eli & Edythe Broad Art Museum, Zaha Hadid Architects.

It will certainly be a weird neighbor:

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 4:33 AM

I can never help but think I'm about to be swallowed up by a monster in the last shot. I didn't realize it, but appears this building may be clad in stainless steel? Looks like the exterior is picking up the indirect illumination from the grass.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 9:19 PM
Registered Ugly

As a resident Eastsider, I can't wait for this to happen. For such an important thoroughfare, culminating at our state capitol, Michigan Avenue needs to come into step with 21st Century walk/bike cities and meet its potential. Michigan Avenue is also served by the region's most frequent bus service, with rumors and aspirations for light rail. I see the avenue blossoming into more dense and diverse developments when the economy and housing market rebound.

Source: http://capitalgainsmedia.com/devnews/micorr0417.aspx

Quote:
Streetscaping and Improvement Plan For Michigan Ave Corridor Moves Forward
CAPITAL GAINS, 5/5/2010
The section of Michigan Ave running from the Capitol building in Downtown Lansing all the way to East Lansing could look different in the future. Improvements to the corridor are still being discussed and planned, and a "unified vision for future developments of Michigan Ave" is on the horizon, according to Ken Szymusiak of the Lansing Economic Development Corporation.

There will be enhancements to the corridor's infrastructure, including new curbs, trees, benches and improved streets. Szymusiak says the goal is to have Michigan Ave "unified from the Capitol to East Lansing," with the focusing being on the "attractiveness" of the corridor's streetscape. A CATA study was done on transportation plans so that nothing is overlooked.

Szymusiak says there is nothing concrete yet, but that those along the corridor are making recommendations and seeing "block by block what could be done." Coordinating the look of Michigan Ave along the planned route is the key, as is maximizing the area. "We want to spur future development," says Szymusiak.

Street lights, flowers and more will be taken into consideration for the potential new look of Michigan Ave. Szymusiak says the key is to "think long term" when it comes planning and implementing any changes.

Source: Ken Szymusiak

Writer: Daniel J. Hogan

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 12:27 PM
Registered Ugly

Between ZipCar, a bike, and CATA, there'd be no reason for many people not to go car-free.

Source:Lansing State Journal

Quote:
EAST LANSING - Michigan State University hopes to have a car sharing program on campus by fall.

And if all goes well, it could expand into East Lansing and Lansing.

Car sharing services allow people to rent a car by the hour or by the day. Companies such as Zipcar, Connect by Hertz and WeCar have been gaining popularity in cities and college campuses around the country as a more economically and environmentally friendly alternative to owning a vehicle.

"It gives a great lifestyle amenity to students who otherwise might not have access to a car," said John Williams, spokesman for Cambridge, Mass.-based Zipcar.

MSU has spoken with the three companies and sent out request for proposals this month, said Paul Jaques, internship developer at the university. He said he expects MSU to make a final decision on a vendor around mid-May.

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 3:37 AM

The streetscape program sounds great. Especially one that is unified the whole way and gives the street a solid identity. All too often streets become a hodgepodge of fixups over the years, but never reach their full potential. A full fledged program for the stretch is exactly what is needed.

I do the car sharing thing. I don't really like it to be honest. I can say I've had more bad experiences than good with cars that have problems, were dirty, low on gas...or I was gunning it back to the parking space before the reservation deadline hit and fines accrue. But I don't have a car so it's the only service I can count on to drive somewhere. But if your expectations aren't high, it's good for getting from point A to point B for less than $20/month

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 8:25 PM
Registered Ugly

I've never actually done the car sharing thing, so I'll take your word for it. Thing is, I'm just tired of owning a car. And now that I don't have to commute to Ann Arbor anymore I really considering getting rid of mine. Either way, I'm excited for more options in this town.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 2:21 AM

If you don't plan to travel much outside of Lansing then definitely do it. I guess the service is just hit or miss. Some people swear by it, but sacrificing your own vehicle to switch is definitely a big deal unless you are looking to cut costs or have no place to park it. The only time I really get frustrated is when I just want to drive off and visit some other city, but car-sharing then puts on heavy daily charges. The reason I've gotten off it lately is because my girlfriend has a car and a downtown parking spot.

Not having to pay car insurance is definitely nice though. I diverted that money towards a new bike and paying off my urban planning student loans

Old Posted May 18, 2010, 1:32 AM
Registered Ugly

Red Cedar Friends Build New $750,000 LEED-Certified Meetinghouse in Old Town

CAPITAL GAINS, 5/12/2010

The Red Cedar Friends have built a brand new meetinghouse in Lansing's Old Town. The 4,500 sq. ft. building is located at 1400 Turner St.

“Red Cedar Friends [Quakers] have met in rented space since the late 1940’s,” says Susan Waltz. “As a faith community, we have long wanted a home of our own.”

The project, including the property, cost $750,000. The new building features a main meeting room, a social hall, a kitchen and two class rooms. Waltz says the building was designed by Tim Mrozowski, a professor in the Michigan State University School of Planning, Design and Construction.

The journey toward the completed meetinghouse was a long one. Looking for property started in 2001, and the lot on Turner St. was not purchased until 2005. The official groundbreaking was in Oct. 2008.

“The building is registered as a LEED project,” says Waltz, “and when all the paperwork has been submitted and reviewed we hope to obtain silver or gold status.”

Keeping the project local was another focus, “To the extent possible, we used local suppliers, local contractors, and local materials.”

The Red Cedar Friends will have an open house on Sat. May 22, from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Source: Susan Waltz

Writer: Daniel J. Hogan

Old Posted Jun 30, 2010, 5:43 PM
Registered Ugly

June 30

Last edited by subterranean; Jun 30, 2010 at 10:21 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2010, 8:20 PM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

A few small development updates...

- The Lansing Board of Water and Light announced it will be building a new +46,000 sq ft combined natural gas power plant and steam plant in REO Town beginning next year to replace the aging Eckert Station a few blocks to the west that must be decommissioned in a few years. It'll only replace part of that plant's generation capacity so they'll have to build another small plant or find efficiencies. The new 8-story building will also house the BWL's service center and possibly administrative offices currently located in a non-descript building on Haco Drive. Also, the historic Grand Trunk Western Depot that's been vacant for years will be completely renovated to service as conference/meeting space for the BWL. All in all it's going to bring 180 new workers to this district directly south of downtown that's been struggling to find it's place, and cut emissions by quite a bit. This is all a direct result of a citizen's group that canned a $1 billion "clean" coal plant that the BWL proposed last year that was to be built out way in Delta Township next to the existing Erickson Station.

- At the very northern of REO Town across 496 from downtown the defunct Deluxe Inn motel will be demolished next month, finally. The Land Bank has said from the beginning that they are seeking developers to turn this parcel into high-rise residential and retail, which would actually fit the district more than the current motel does seeing as how two high-rise/mid-rise apartment buildings sit on the riverbanks directly opposite this property and how large apartment complexes border this property to the east.

- Oh yeah, check out the www.migrtrans.org website to see how the tranist study along Michigan and Grand River Avenues is going. They are some aerials and maps of possible stations for a light rail - if CATA ever decides to go in that direction of course.

Last edited by LMich; Jul 18, 2010 at 8:58 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 4:47 AM

I love Lansing

Old Posted Aug 13, 2010, 5:16 AM

A few updates...

- Five new eateries have or will be opening up over the next few months downtown including a bar and grill in the city market, a canteen in the South Grand Parking garage, a sushi shop on Allegan, and a Memphis-based sub chain and a Southfield-based soup chain both on the Square. Five eateries have opened or will be opening in downtown East Lansing as well.

- Lansings-East Lansing has seen the 6th largest increase of median home price of urban areas in the country, year-over-year for the quarter at a rise of 13.4%. The overall metro area saw an 11.5% increase in median home price over the same period. Foreclosers are still holding steady but apparently is being offset by the high sales of expensive homes in the region.

- The mechanically-named Lansing Principal Shopping District (PSD), the commercial district association for the city's downtown, has been renamed and rebranded as Downtown Lansing, Inc.

http://www.downtownlansing.org/

I actually like the new logo and colors. It'd make a great t-shirt.

- The owner's of Harem Urban Lounge, who also own The Loft music venue above the club, and the Tin Can bar next door are now developing The Deck, a stand-alone patio bar I believe is being built next door to the Tin Can. This means that this entire block, which for many years was only home to the Nuthouse bar & grill, is now completely filled with bars. lol

Last edited by LMich; Aug 13, 2010 at 7:30 AM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2010, 1:18 AM

Wow, the website is pretty nice. It's good to see this momentum. Hopefully the next step will be more residential construction downtown.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 4:34 AM

The Michigan Capitol Complex, from the capitol to the Hall of Justice (Supreme Court), is getting heated sidewalks. The local media, of course, is covering this from a decidedly negative perspective, but I've always wanted some heated sidewalks, here. This will be a pretty large project considering the Capitol Complex is 2 regular city blocks by 9 regular city blocks.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 2:54 AM

Not so much development news as news in general, but after decades of half-assed pushes by the community to get it done, one of Lansing's most famous citizens has gained a street naming. Tonight, the city council passed a street renaming request just two or three weeks after being formerly proposed to rename the 3-mile-long Main Street to Malcom X Street to surprising little community criticism (almost none of it cultural) and a helluva lot of general support.

There was probably so little passion on either side, though, given that Main Street is little more than a frontage road for the Olds Freeway along its entire course. Even before the freeway, Main Street was never even A Main Street in the city using the traditional definition of the term.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 6:32 AM

Is it going to be on the regular street sign tag or one of those secondaries?

Example:

|
|[MICHIGAN AVE]
|[Honorary Swami Vivekananda Ave]
|
|
|
|
|

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 6:53 AM

No, this is an all-out street renaming, not an honorary deally.

There was also a proposal to rename Grand River through Lansing "Caesar Chavez Avenue" a month or two ago. That turned out to be far more contentious given that Grand River is part of Old Town Lansing's branding. So the group pushing for the renaming and the Old Town business community compromised and got a parking lot (so Michigan) in Old Town that hosts most of the neighborhood's regional festivals renamed after him and now they call it a "plaza". lol

Actually, another street, downtown's Grand Avenue, was renamed after him in the 90's, but the community voted within a few months to change it back. There was a lot of hurt feelings over that locally, most of which were finally resolved last month with the naming of the plaza.

Also, ack earlier in the decade a resident wanted to rename East Michigan Avenue to The Avenue of Michigan to differentiate it from other Michigan Avenues. He was soundly shouted down by business owners along the corridor.

BTW, it's going to be so awesome with the demolition of the Deluxe Inn motel at Washington and Main when the site is redeveloped into a tower to tell people it's at Washington and Malcolm X.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 7:33 AM

In other news, the City of Lansing launched it's revamped recycling program renamed Capital Area Recycling & Trash (CART). It's a single-stream program, which I'm guessing means that they hope they bring in many of the folks who've been too lazy to divide their recyclables. The goal is to increase the city's capacity from 2,000 tons a year to 8,000. This will also be aided by the fact that the new program will also increase the type of items it takes in. If they reach their goal the annual price to a household would be lowered to.

The long-term goal of the city's public service department is to get neighboring municipalities to buy into the city's program to make this regional to really cut down on emissions and landfill space, so I hope this is successful.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 11:46 AM
Registered Ugly

People are so afraid of change that they raise a stink of a road name change. It blows me away.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest