HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 9:32 PM
Chris

New hotel moving forward in West Chester, at the long vacant Rite Aid space, corner of Gay & Walnut.

I read some social media reaction, it's amazing how crazy and miserable some people are. You would think a developer is planning a to build a prison...

New 108 Room Hotel to be Built in West Chester
https://www.dailylocal.com/2023/01/2...-west-chester/

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 12:51 PM

I can't wait for the day that regional return to West Chester. Such a great and urban town, really should have rail access to the rest of the city

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngniems View Post
I can't wait for the day that regional return to West Chester. Such a great and urban town, really should have rail access to the rest of the city
I just wish it was there during my time at WCU. That would've been so nice.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 4:14 PM
Chris

Developer buys 14-acre Fort Washington site from Equus, plans 310-unit apartment project

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 7:55 PM

Avelo Airlines launches in Delaware with first flight to Orlando on Wednesday. What to know.

Quote:
Avelo, a not-yet-2-year-old airline, will take its first flight from the Wilmington Airport on Wednesday.

The flight will mark the return of commercial service to the airport, coming eight months after Frontier Airlines' exit. It kickstarts a six-day-a-week schedule that includes flights to five Florida airports, including Orlando, the destination of Wednesday's inaugural flight.

Avelo will have one Boeing 737 based at the New Castle Airport to start. As part of its business plan, the company flies round trips each day to avoid the costs of overnighting crews. Avelo will fly to five Florida airports.

Orlando: Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays
Fort Lauderdale: Sundays and Thursdays
Fort Myers: Mondays and Fridays
Tampa: Sundays and Thursdays
West Palm Beach: Wednesdays and Saturdays
Read more - https://www.delawareonline.com/story...7/69842276007/

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 12:40 AM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Developers explore potential for Norristown State Hospital’s ‘blank canvas’

Norristown, Montgomery County officials talk journey of land conveyance

https://www.timesherald.com/2023/01/...-blank-canvas/
It could be a game changer. It would be nice to see a town center type development there with housing and retail.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 12:42 AM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Built with mass timber. And the AC Marriott is still planned, which the area needs.

Ellis Preserve office, part of Equus' final phase of the mixed-use development, gets underway
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ss-timber.html

Construction on a five-story, 106,000-square-foot office building at Newtown Square’s Ellis Preserve is set to pick up in earnest next week with the start of footing and foundation work. The project is slated to open in summer 2024.

The office building at 203 Squire Drive is being built with mass timber, which Spaeder praised for its environmental benefits. Mass timber is made of multiple compressed layers of wood, which give it load-bearing strength. Steel and concrete contribute significantly to carbon output and so are being used minimally in the mass timber building.

The office building is part of a final development phase that also includes a 140-room Marriott AC Hotel, 75,000 square feet of retail made up of restaurants and entertainment venues, an 18,000 square foot wedding venue and 200 apartments. Construction on these individual projects is underway and in various stages. The apartments are opening in February.
The hotel is needed in that part of Delco. The townhomes with the optional elevator that start at 800K look nice but they just seem odd in Delco. I work in Ellis.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 12:50 AM
America's Hometown

Quote:
New hotel moving forward in West Chester, at the long vacant Rite Aid space, corner of Gay & Walnut.

I read some social media reaction, it's amazing how crazy and miserable some people are. You would think a developer is planning a to build a prison...

New 108 Room Hotel to be Built in West Chester
https://www.dailylocal.com/2023/01/2...-west-chester/
A second hotel in Downtown West Chester is great news. That old Rite Aid is an eyesore. It's right in the middle of all those restaurants. People staying there will be able to walk to numerous dining choices within 3-4 blocks. There really aren't many hotel rooms in West Chester. The Warner is on High Street. There are a couple of crappy motels along 202 just outside of town. That's it. You either go there or stay in the Holiday Inn Express in Exton or all of the hotels where I live in Lionville.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyRising View Post
The hotel is needed in that part of Delco. The townhomes with the optional elevator that start at 800K look nice but they just seem odd in Delco. I work in Ellis.
Why do $800k townhomes seem "odd in Delco"?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Strange comment. Why are $800K townhomes odd for DelCo? DelCo has some of the wealthiest towns in the Philadelphia metro including Wayne, Radnor, Villanova and Newtown Square where Ellis Preserve is located.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Strange comment. Why are $800K townhomes odd for DelCo? DelCo has some of the wealthiest towns in the Philadelphia metro including Wayne, Radnor, Villanova and Newtown Square where Ellis Preserve is located.
Very strange. Newtown Square is gorgeous. Top schools lowest taxes in Delaware County. Steps from Episcopal and the Main Line. Just odd frankly coming from somebody that lives in an exurb half way to Lancaster.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 12:14 PM
PHL

You could build 800k townhomes in really any county in the area right now tbh. Not strange at all. Expensive yeah but we already have 1M+ homes in pockets everywhere.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
You could build 800k townhomes in really any county in the area right now tbh. Not strange at all. Expensive yeah but we already have 1M+ homes in pockets everywhere.
Indeed, and even most every area of every county.

I noted a listing the other day for just over $1 million with a Pottstown address (new construction, but even so). Not something you'd remotely expect for that town.

It's a confluence of generally more expensive housing nationally but also that the Philly area has long had very under-valued real estate given its immense assets. I think it's clear those days are over.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 1:57 PM
Philly Rising Up!

A little birdie told me Newtown Square is getting a Ruth Chris Steakhouse and Sedona Taphouse. Dining scene is on the up and up.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 3:41 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Very strange. Newtown Square is gorgeous. Top schools lowest taxes in Delaware County. Steps from Episcopal and the Main Line. Just odd frankly coming from somebody that lives in an exurb half way to Lancaster.
Yea, Newtown Square is one of the most gorgeous areas in the region. A nice mix of old and new, handsome architecture, and a lot of big money mixed in. The area around Ellis Preserve is a bit congested, but that pocket has transformed into a nice spot.

Also, you're from Delaware County right? I don't consider Newtown Square "Delco", I consider it Delaware County. Delco (IMO) is an identity that runs strong in the towns mostly South/East of 476 and Route 1. Then it fades as you travel North/West.

My perspective as a Delaware County native.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 4:29 PM
Me?!?

This monster is moving forward in Ft. Washington, I hope that they enjoy flooding. While much better than it used to be thanks to the flood control project the road still floods out during bigger storms and access is cut off and they will be right up against the creek too. But hey at least some tenants will have stunning views of the Turnpike

https://rebusinessonline.com/jeffers...-philadelphia/

Quote:
It could be a game changer. It would be nice to see a town center type development there with housing and retail.
Agreed. Just don't impact my Farm Park negatively and I'm good.

Quote:
Yea, Newtown Square is one of the most gorgeous areas in the region. A nice mix of old and new, handsome architecture, and a lot of big money mixed in. The area around Ellis Preserve is a bit congested, but that pocket has transformed into a nice spot.

Also, you're from Delaware County right? I don't consider Newtown Square "Delco", I consider it Delaware County. Delco (IMO) is an identity that runs strong in the towns mostly South/East of 476 and Route 1. Then it fades as you travel North/West.

I came here to say something similar. I worked in both Newtown Square and then later Upper Darby and I am still in those areas frequently and they are worlds away.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 5:46 PM

Quote:

As someone who grew up in the city but spent a good portion of my childhood in Delco, I agree! There's a huge distinction between the towns above and below the Media/Elwyn Line, with the major exceptions of Swarthmore, Wallingford, and Rose Valley.

I might catch hell for this, but oh well: I don't get the appeal of Newtown Square. It's just as expensive as the Main Line without, IMO, any of the benefits. I suppose it's a good choice if someone works at an office park in Delco, doesn't mind driving everywhere, and wants to buy a newer home in an excellent school district, but I just don't see it. Even putting my strong urbanist bias to the side, the traffic congestion in both directions on West Chester Pike is horrific.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 5:48 PM

Quote:

Same exactly. I find the term "Delco" endearing but it's really only an identifier for the areas south and east of Rt 1 / 476. Even that isn't 100% because Swarthmore isn't "Delco" culturally and it's south and east of Rt 1. It's also something of a class identifier. When other people apply the term universally to the entire county 1. it's usually a pejorative and 2. it says more about them than anything else.

I'd take a Newtown Square address over Lionville any day.

Also, in a generation, it will be the most expensive (suburban) county per square foot in the entire metro. It has the best transit access, the best access to every major job center in the region (including Wilmington, which never gets talked about on here), the best highway and airport access, and the most walkable towns of any county in the region. It, along with Montgomery County, have evolved to have the most progressive citizenry in the region. TOD will become normal.

But ya'll can continue to sh*t on it.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 6:29 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Most, if not all, consider Newtown Square as part of the Mainline and not Delco.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 6:34 PM

^^ Actually i think those apartments are a great idea, id prefer they be closer to the library, which is near lifetime fitness, but the township has high hopes to redevelop the entire office park over time and they have some great trails and parks nearby. wish it was a bit easier to get to the station but I see more positives then negatives on them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations