HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 3:49 PM

I recall in my youth when One Astor plaza dominated this section of the cityscape.
Now it's Broadway/XSQR's turn to have a signature supertower.
We're being spoiled, gents...........

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 4:08 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
We're being spoiled, gents...........

We most definitely are. It's as if the skyscraper gods said "you want it, you got it". We may be begging for mercy at some point, but I'm enjoying watching the changes take shape. The New York skyline is being redefined for this century.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2014, 1:19 PM
don't *meddle*...

New tallest? 500m+?

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.2043630

New Times Square mega tower one step closer to becoming reality
Gary Barnett's Extell Development acquires key piece in 45th St. assemblage for $46M

Quote:
Developer to the 1% Gary Barnett is one step closer to bringing another monolithic tower to Midtown.

His company, Extell Development, has closed on the purchase of a 52,000-square-foot parking facility at 251 W. 45th St. for $45.78 million, according to public records. The garage can be razed and combined with an adjacent empty lot already owned by Extell to make way for a skyline altering building.

Experts said the Times Square tower could be Barnett’s tallest yet and would most likely be a hotel, despite Barnett’s tendency towards building luxurious condos.

“This is not really the right place for apartments,” said broker and analyst Robert Shapiro of Center City Real Estate. “With these large floor plates, he’d be better off with a hotel or offices.”

Barnett, a master of assembling prime Manhattan development sites and the developer of One57 on W. 57th St.’s Billionaires’ Row, has been patching together the site for years.
Quote:
He acquired a key part of the site last year in an unconventional property swap deal with real estate giant the Related Companies, which swapped it for another piece of land in the Hudson Yards area on the west side.

Since then, Barnett has been hungrily buying up air rights from theaters in the neighborhood in order to make his tower even taller.

Barnett did not respond to a request for comment on his plans for the building.

The parking lot is one of several key pieces in a larger assemblage

EDIT: Barnett should use Gensler's Seattle design and make it 1,600ft:

Last edited by hunser; Dec 13, 2014 at 2:05 PM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2014, 1:53 PM
Show me the blueprints

Are the buildings on the SW corner at 8th Ave part of the assemblage?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 6:49 AM

So this will likely be taller than 225 W.57? If so, that will completely transform the Times Square area.

If this is really a hotel tower, I wonder if it would be a full hotel above retail, or if they would put condos on the top floors. It's not an obvious residential location, but the condos in the area are very high-priced and popular with wealthy non-Americans.

If this tower really tops 1775 ft., that will make the Midtown skyline just incredible.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 8:20 AM

I highly doubt it

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 9:33 AM

I can't even keep up with all the development.

Whatever is built, I'm really happy to see that ugly parking garage and surface lot go.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
I highly doubt it
Highly doubt ... ?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 5:21 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Highly doubt ... ?
That it will top Nordstrom. I'd be happy with a solid supertall at this location. Maybe Barnett goes bold and we get another 1,300 footer, who knows.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 6:51 PM

I do hope we get something nice and tall at this location. Hopefully whatever does end being built at the site will inspire more similar developments in this area as it will balance the skyline. We definitely could use some supertalls west of Times Square.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 11:04 AM
New Yorker for life

We shall see what Barnett plans...

Quote:
Experts said the Times Square tower could be Barnett’s tallest yet and would most likely be a hotel, despite Barnett’s tendency towards building luxurious condos.He acquired a key part of the site last year in an unconventional property swap deal with real estate giant the Related Companies, which swapped it for another piece of land in the Hudson Yards area on the west side.

Since then, Barnett has been hungrily buying up air rights from theaters in the neighborhood in order to make his tower even taller.[/color][/b]

Barnett did not respond to a request for comment on his plans for the building.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 7:34 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I'm predicting a 400m plus.

Something around 432 Park Ave height. But.... we may be surprised.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 11:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Well, remember this piece from not that far back...Barnett will most certainly build tall, the only question is how tall? One57 tall or Nordstrom tall....

Quote:
http://deadline.com/2014/08/the-plot...oadway-825192/
The Plot Thickens: Will A ‘New’ Shubert Theater Tower Over Broadway?

by Jeremy Gerard
August 27, 2014

Since everyone is dousing everyone else these dog days with buckets of ice to raise money for ALS research, I offer a challenge of my own to The New York Post‘s Michael Riedel: Meet me at Bar Centrale the day after Labor Day 2019. If, five years from now, there’s a new, 1,500-seat Broadway theater around the corner on Eighth Avenue between 45th and 46th streets, you can douse me with a bucket of ice and I’ll write a $100 check to the Shubert Foundation. And if it’s a Shubert theater, I’ll make it $200.

If, however, there’s no theater in the luxury apartment tower Gary “One57″ Barnett’s Extell Corp is planning for that site, you have to write a check for $200 to my favorite charity, Greater Education, Rehabilitation And Recreation for Dropouts (you can just use the initials).

Shubert, as we know, owns valuable land and even more valuable air rights in the Theater District, and Broadway’s biggest landlord has been doing some heavy horse trading recently, exchanging oxygen for dollars and planning a takeover of a five-theater off-Broadway complex on 50th Street west of Eighth Avenue. But a new Broadway theater, at a cost of $150 million? Ehhhh, I don’t think so. Neither does the powerful Community Board 5, which controls building plans in the area and has received no paperwork for any such project at 740 Eighth Ave.

The site we’re talking about, which currently hosts a crafts market and a parking lot, originally was put together by real estate giant Related Companies, owned by Stephen Ross. But Barnett held the rights to a key chunk of the land where Related is building the Hudson Yards mixed-use development site that’s roughly the size of Rhode Island. So Related and Extell negotiated a land swap.

Now Barnett reputedly is planning another super-skyscraper along the lines of One57, the billionaires-only tower that casts a sunrise shadow from 57th and 7th to the Delaware Water Gap.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 5:05 AM
New Yorker for life

Couple of weeks ago...

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 8:09 PM
N40° 46.8925', W073° 57.3

Via Deadline | Hollywood - July 28

Quote:
A tower planned for 740 Eighth Avenue by Extell Development (the Gary Barnett-owned company behind One57, the so-called billionaire’s building on West 57th Street near Carnegie Hall) has metastasized with a major assist from the Shubert Organization. Shubert, whose 17 New York theaters make it Broadway’s biggest landlord, sold off a combination of air rights and property it owns adjacent to the site, between 45th and 46th streets. Demolition is set to begin shortly on a shuttered garage at the eastern edge of the site.
http://deadline.com/2015/07/broadway...el-1201486518/

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 9:58 PM
BANNED

I hope this exceeds 300m.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 1:46 AM

This location looks ripe for a huge tower

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 2:35 AM

I hope this is 1,200 ft+. It certainly has the right FAR, location and developer.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 3:00 AM

How much square feet are we talking here? On the first page it said ~ one million. Now it appears that Gary being the developer he is has been trying to obtain more from surrounding properties.
Thanks!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 3:24 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-) View Post
How much square feet are we talking here? On the first page it said ~ one million. Now it appears that Gary being the developer he is has been trying to obtain more from surrounding properties.
Thanks!
It's hard to say. If Extell acquires all the properties up to where the theaters start mid-block, the site is 43,000 square feet (± 500 square feet). If a mixed-use tower is built (hotel/residential most likely), and air rights from the theaters are purchased (what seems to be currently underway), development rights are likely over 1 million square feet. There are also two wild cards: FAR bonus from inclusionary housing, and FAR bonus from a plaza. If Extell maxes everything and plays his wild cards, rough calculations put a building of 1.3 million square feet towards zoning.

The next thing to look out for is more property acquisitions.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction