HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post

What about this one? I know with them changing the plan to Plessis being one of the legs of the ring road this might not work.

This was my crude sketch posted somewhere here recently. But it doesn't work with the industrial park. I feel like the eastern leg of beltway is a pipe dream and will never happen. It's just Lag now.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 8:23 PM

Does anybody know when the RFP for that Symington overpass will come out? Did it already??

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 8:23 PM

Something will need to happen soon, the state of the Fermor/Plessis bridge is extremely concerning

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
This was my crude sketch posted somewhere here recently. But it doesn't work with the industrial park. I feel like the eastern leg of beltway is a pipe dream and will never happen. It's just Lag now.

I wish there was some free or cheap program to more easily draw road concepts that look somewhat presentable, these Google Earth drawings take forever.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Which is fine, Lag and the Perimeter are not that far apart. Makes more sense to try and turn those two into decent highways instead of adding yet another half-assed stroad to the mix.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 9:18 PM

Agreed.

I like anthony's option with the trumpet. Could have a directional Westbound ramp if you really wanted.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
I hope the hydro corridor is taken into account on this.

Otherwise, this is a very good concept.
I just had to move a couple of ramps at St. Mary's, now it is not interfering with the towers, though I am not sure how much clearance Hydro requires, of course.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
I just had to move a couple of ramps at St. Mary's, now it is not interfering with the towers, though I am not sure how much clearance Hydro requires, of course.

Send these to the city and province! Or tweet them. This is what we wanna see

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 6:54 PM

I didn't even notice the hydro towers near the top of the corridor, will have to adjust it quite a bit...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 7:14 PM

The whole problem initially with Bishop was the hydro towers.

From stories I've heard. They even had embankments piled up for overpasses but due to issues with hydro, they were taken down. These are the berms you see along the side of bishop in that area, apparently.

The engineers know how to design this stuff. There is just no money for it unless someone makes it a priority. Much like the province is doing with the Perimeter.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 10:16 PM

Quote:
The whole problem initially with Bishop was the hydro towers.

From stories I've heard. They even had embankments piled up for overpasses but due to issues with hydro, they were taken down. These are the berms you see along the side of bishop in that area, apparently.

The engineers know how to design this stuff. There is just no money for it unless someone makes it a priority. Much like the province is doing with the Perimeter.
So similar to pembina/bishop interchange, it will go below grade with st Mary’s going above. They just have to lower the elevation.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 3:40 PM

New truck at my workplace, the hood is higher than the roof of my car...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 2:33 PM

Looks like an F-250. Those have always been big. But yes, trucks are big now. TrueVike has some nice Twitters threads on the subject.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Looks like an F-250. Those have always been big. But yes, trucks are big now. TrueVike has some nice Twitters threads on the subject.
It's weird how the government will regulate some dangerous things, but other dangerous things, like big vehicles constantly increasing in size, just get a pass.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 3:21 PM
the first stamp is free

Just to play the contrarian for a moment, but are there stats that show that the ever increasing size of trucks/SUVs are resulting in more pedestrian and vehicle crash injuries/deaths?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Just to play the contrarian for a moment, but are there stats that show that the ever increasing size of trucks/SUVs are resulting in more pedestrian and vehicle crash injuries/deaths?
It would seem so

https://driving.ca/auto-news/driver-...ians-iihs-says

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 3:46 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I was thinking more along the lines of: are there more vehicle and pedestrian deaths now as compared to say the 1980's when all the vehicles were comparatively smaller.

Or even 2000's to 2010's and so on.

Obviously big trucks hitting something are going to be more damaging when it happens.

EDIT: nevermind - the article does say the pedestrian deaths are increasing.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 3:56 PM

Quote:
^ I was thinking more along the lines of: are there more vehicle and pedestrian deaths now as compared to say the 1980's when all the vehicles were comparatively smaller.

Or even 2000's to 2010's and so on.

Obviously big trucks hitting something are going to be more damaging when it happens.

EDIT: nevermind - the article does say the pedestrian deaths are increasing.
Even a Nissan Micra can kill someone. But it stands to reason that larger, heavier vehicles are going to hit with more force and make injuries worse.

I mean, if you were in an accident while driving a "normal" car like a Toyota Corolla, what would you rather get hit by? Another Corolla? Or a F-250?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 4:00 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I'd rather not get hit at all. Which is sort of where I was going with all this. It doesn't seem to me (here in Canada anyway) that there are reports of ever increasing pedestrian (or vehicle occupant) deaths, regardless of the vehicle type involved.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 4:17 PM

Quote:
^ I'd rather not get hit at all. Which is sort of where I was going with all this. It doesn't seem to me (here in Canada anyway) that there are reports of ever increasing pedestrian (or vehicle occupant) deaths, regardless of the vehicle type involved.
Except those are an issue too

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/br...n-city-streets

I don't know that you can realistically expect to have a massive increase in the average mass of vehicles on the road and not suffer some consequences from it. It's not like we have improved road engineering to offset that factor. There is a price to be paid here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan