HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 4:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Wow, smartest thing you've posted in a long time!

It was ridiculous for schools to eliminate anything dealing with life skills in the first place.
It’s almost like my entire politics is based around giving power to workers, especially those in the trades. Weakening the ability for Canadians to go into the trades is nothing but a deliberate strategy to weaken the working class, to replace blue collar workers, who typically are unionized, with white collar workers, who are not typically unionized. Then we just import all the trade workers who demand less wages and less power, and actually weaken the power of all workers in Canada (not the immigrant’s fault, to be clear).

As I mentioned though, children still need a quality primary and secondary education, which involves proper funding so children get a chance to learn, in a way that works for them, everything from those home ec and industrial arts classes to math, science, art, English, critical thinking, health and wellness, history, personal finances, etc. Not just for their sake, but for the sustainability, security, and for those free market people out there, competitiveness of our country.

Last edited by djforsberg; Mar 20, 2023 at 12:35 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 8:35 PM

$30 million dollar film and TV studio will be built in Niverville creating 300 jobs over next 3 years.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 1:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
$30 million dollar film and TV studio will be built in Niverville creating 300 jobs over next 3 years.
It’s too bad Niverville and it’s developments are being hacked (onto) prime farm land!

Last edited by rrskylar; Mar 27, 2023 at 4:29 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Wow, smartest thing you've posted in a long time!

It was ridiculous for schools to eliminate anything dealing with life skills in the first place.
Wow! Is that true? My kids are in elementary school. I remember home ec courses in junior high. That is disappointing if they are not offered anymore.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
Wow! Is that true? My kids are in elementary school. I remember home ec courses in junior high. That is disappointing if they are not offered anymore.
It’s not true. One of my siblings completed junior high a year ago and they still offer home ec such as woodworking, sewing, and cooking for example.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 2:31 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

home ec is apart of gr 7-9 shops that u get to try

we should really start fallowing the european model

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 4:06 AM

Quote:
It’s too bad Niverville and it’s developments are being hacked (onto) prime farm land!
That is not a good thing. Cities tend to be found on the best agricultural land, thus eliminating a natural resource.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
That is not a good thing. Cities tend to be found on the best agricultural land, thus eliminating a natural resource.
Well there’s something driving people to Niverville because it’s been booming for like the last 20 years.

I personally don’t get it but as long as they expand towards the Red River then more to them. Because that could be a nice spot for distant future transit expansion being on the St. Mary’s/Main corridor..

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
home ec is apart of gr 7-9 shops that u get to try

we should really start fallowing the european model
What shops/home ec you get to try depends on the school. Most middle schools these days travel to the closest high school once a week and rotate through 4 or 5 subjects in a year. Some middle schools have their own facilities.

A couple weeks ago I was touring the woodshop and STEM lab at the new elementary/middle school in Bison Run, it's pretty swanky.
Small stain

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 2:46 PM

Jr High I went to has wood shop, drafting/graphics room, kitchen classroom for cooking, sewing room, drama room, guitar/music room. I just assumed all jr high's had the same type of facilities. No?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 5:03 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dam_well View Post
What shops/home ec you get to try depends on the school. Most middle schools these days travel to the closest high school once a week and rotate through 4 or 5 subjects in a year. Some middle schools have their own facilities.

A couple weeks ago I was touring the woodshop and STEM lab at the new elementary/middle school in Bison Run, it's pretty swanky.
yea i got bused from issac newton to st johns for my jr high shops and we would do a tour of allthe different shops through the year be there half days 1 to 2 times a week

then went to tech voc took drafting as my backup as i didnt make cut for photography as it ws high demand

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 5:20 AM

Manitoba's first potash mine started production today!

PADCOM (Potash and Agri Development Corp of Manitoba) is in charge of the project, mine is in Harrowby, MB. Happy to hear that this is a Manitoba company and not one from another province (Sio Silica, AB lookin at you)

I know that we're often labelled as a province of 'have-nots', but honestly was a bit surprised that this would be our first potash mine ever? Nevertheless thought this was good news; will be a nice boost to our economy, add jobs and reportedly the mine is using a technique that will minimize its ecological footprint.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...tion-1.6872267

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 3:52 PM

^ It's not really some policy failure on Manitoba's part... it's simply a reflection of the reality that potash deposits basically end at the border, to the point of being an amazing coincidence. If the provincial border was even 5 miles west of where it is, it would be a different situation.

This may not be the last potash mine that will ever open up in Manitoba, but it will never be the industry here that it is in Sask as a result of this geographic reality:

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 4:30 PM

Sask might unironically be the most resource rich province in the country. The only con is that it’s landlocked.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 3:17 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Manitoba
Northern Manitoba First Nation says deal with mining company Alamos is golden opportunity

Deal means mining company and Marcel Colomb First Nation will share revenues as well as other benefits
CBC News · Posted: Jun 15, 2023 1:49 PM CDT | Last Updated: 8 hours ago

A northern Manitoba First Nation hopes to reap the benefits of a golden opportunity after signing a deal with a Canadian mining company.

Marcel Colomb First Nation officially signed what's called an impact benefit agreement on Wednesday with Alamos Gold Inc. on the Lynn Lake gold project — a gold mining project that consists of five near-surface deposits that are in the traditional territory of Marcel Colomb, according to Alamos Gold's website.

The historic agreement will provide socio-economic benefits for the long term future of Marcel Colomb First Nation, a band of Swampy Cree and Rocky Cree people located in the area of Lynn Lake, Chief Christopher Colomb stated in a news release.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...amos-1.6877530

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 7:32 PM
surely you agree with me

MMF multi-use building in downtown Selkirk has started construction.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/B6WTctX0/MMF-Se...Final-no-flags .jpg[/img]

Last edited by trueviking; Jun 20, 2023 at 9:13 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 7:38 PM

^ Good stuff. It will give downtown Selkirk, which is a charming area, a nice boost.

Are plans still moving ahead for a similar building on Henderson Highway?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 7:38 PM
surely you agree with me

that is the intent, I believe.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 8:10 PM

The potash mine. Its a thing where they pump hot liquid underground to produce a solution and suck it back to the surface. No where near what the conventional mines are in Saskatchewan.

But there are potash mines 1-2 miles from the MB border. I would think there ahould be viable mine locations inside MB, but what do I know.

What is the location of the mine in MB?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 11:02 AM

Study on sustainable jet fuel facility in Portage. $2.9 mill from Prov for study and potentially a $1.9 bill facility. 150 permanent job, many 1000 jobs to build. Wow, this would be just great!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ding-1.6882947

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan